Stephen Jones is very unimpressive

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is nobody to name. He is the reason that the Cowboys stay on the edge of cap hell. Tons of bad contracts and he doesn't offer the comic relief that Jerry does. The only hope from the Jones family may be the fuzzy headed grandson that wears the Felix jerseys. I had high hopes for Stephen at one point, but the more of him I see, the less I like him. Seems like a arrogant guy that has little football knowledge. I had rather see Jerry's daughter take over the team.

You owe me a laptop because now it is covered in Mt. Dew :p

Whenever I see that kid, Spalding from Caddyshack immediately comes to mind!

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I can also list Orlando Scandrick and Doug Free as two more that have been particularly painful to look at.

He can manipulate the numbers and gets that end done---in other words, is not as incompetent as many and is good at playing the funny money game every year to get wiggle room, but that is half the battle.

All of these skills are unnecessary at the end of the day if the business of self-evaluating the talent was better. If he were a better talent evaluator and knew what talent was worth locking up to these contracts, then he could earn the "genius" label.

In that regard, he has the same flaws as his father in overvaluing what he has and it shows in the books. Once someone shows a glimmer of talent, they are more apt to throw money at the player than rely confidently on their own ability to replace them if they go outside of budget. If there is one thing we do not do is take a hard line with what we are willing to spend.

Dude... name a team! You dance around like Neon Deion.

sacase

Reaction score
What kills me is that so many fan say "He doesn't have any football knowledge" That is such an over used and meaningless phrase. This family has been heavily involved in running the Dallas cowboys for 24 years. This is their life blood. It flows through them, this is their passion. The are heavily involved in EVERYTHING Dallas Cowboys, the intimate details of the contracts, the lock room problems you never hear about, players families, coaches and their styles and decision making processes, money management, advertising, growing the family business and Dallas Cowboys name and that is only a fraction of things. Hell, NFL owners meetings, future plans, things you will never hear about until the changes are made. Then some casual fan comes along and says hurp durp they have no football knowledge hurp durp...man get out of here with that mess. I am sure they know FAR more than 99 percent of the posters here myself included.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
there is a huge difference in being able to get under the cap and being able to go out and cut who ever you want and sign who ever you want.obviously had we had the cap space

Look you can only get so much talent signed the way the NFL works these days.
Other than stockpiling draft picks and getting long term deals in place for everyone.
At least the Cowboys are willing to go out and sign someone to improve.

Look at how the Eagles manage their player signings and CAP.
Hardley any FA signings and lot's of CAP space.... And as a result no SB trophies.

But in all fairness it starts with talent evaluation and a little luck with injuries.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I hope not but he's Jerry's spawn. Cut from the same cloth & I'm sure that being so he probably thinks he's entitled.

I don't expect that at all although it's possible. And I don't think he and Jerry have the same personality at all. I believe Stephen is well thought of and actually so is Jerry although not as much for the GM as for the owner/business man. Jerry has made a ton of money for everyone.

That circle of people is not that large and most of them are networked together well. I think there's some not all warm and fuzzy feelings with some but they can close ranks fast. Stephen is an asset to the Cowboys. But I do hope he hires a football guy for GM and let him bring some of his own people in. All organizations need fresh blood from time to time and new ideas.

In the end I'm a fan of the Cowboys first then perhaps the owners et al. The Cowboys are bigger than even Jerry Jones' ego.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BTW, Stephen (and most other teams) can always buy a FA contract and just restructure current player's contracts to make room for it. But that's not a very good way to play the cap game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen got the backup QB treatment from fans for years. He was the genius in waiting. The future is bright with him.

The truth is he's his father's son. I've seen zero evidence over the years that he's any different. He's been equally incompetent in his job as Jerry has been in his. Now maybe when the time comes he hires a real GM to run the football operations. In that case, I'll salute him as truly brighter than his father would ever be. But I doubt that happens. I think he thinks he's a football guy. He'll point to the 20 plus years of running a team on his resume. Of course he was hired by his father. can't be fired and the team has gone through the worst years in franchise history under his watch...but let's not argue semantics.

Zordon

Reaction score
My guess is you only know of a very small amount of things he is responsible for.

Do you know of these "things" he's responsible for? Educate me....
Nobody get their panties in a wad. Jerry is living forever.
LOL

Like I said I think at this point I prefer Jerry. At least he is charismatic and likeable. Stephen comes off very arrogant and entitled. Not really surprising considering he's a billionaire's boy.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said I think at this point I prefer Jerry. At least he is charismatic and likeable. Stephen comes off very arrogant and entitled. Not really surprising considering he's a billionaire's boy.

No way. Not me. I know Jerry offers no hope. I at least have a shred of hope that Stephen will hire a GM.

Even if he's the same as his dad, we're at least one step closer to possibly bringing sanity back to our front office.

Cloudy

Reaction score
Just watch this interview and recall back to all the times in the off season he laughed off suggestions that the cap would not hold us back from addressing our holes. Well 2nd question in he admits it. Oline was not addressed partly b/c of the Cap issues, period. He even had the nerve to blame injuries as if this line would be better off with a healthy Livings/Bernadeau. This guy doesn't get it.

I feel very uneasy about our future with him in charge. I don't see what this guy brings to the table for this organization. Can somebody break it down for me? He's not even as charismatic as Jerry.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multim...lp_On_OL/b797adcf-95be-42bd-b834-2cb934fe674c

You're not impressed with Jones because you're so smart with such high standards.

Cloudy

Reaction score
No way. Not me. I know Jerry offers no hope. I at least have a shred of hope that Stephen will hire a GM.

Even if he's the same as his dad, we're at least one step closer to possibly bringing sanity back to our front office.

Hey its your buddy. No doubt the two of can go on for a few more pages showing us all how smart you are.:rolleyes:

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Most of the time when I see Jerry on anything I can't understand half of what he is saying. He rarely makes any sense to me.

Or he looks smashed. I don't think he's charismatic at all.

I think at least Stephen has his dad beat on both those points. He can make complete sentences. That's an improvement.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dude... name a team! You dance around like Neon Deion.

I don't have to. Just because there are multiple teams with ONE bad contract is pointless. We have more than one.

Alexander

Reaction score
You owe me a laptop because now it is covered in Mt. Dew :p

Whenever I see that kid, Spalding from Caddyshack immediately comes to mind!

Spaulding Jones will be in line soon. He was hanging out in the draft room a lot this past April so he could learn from "the best".

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think the point of this whole thread is the same subject we've talked about for years. The offensive line not getting fixed.

Alexander

Reaction score
I think the point of this whole thread is the same subject we've talked about for years. The offensive line not getting fixed.

It is more about the talent on this roster not being fixed thanks to the front office leadership. If it was not the offensive line, it would be the secondary. Or the defensive line. Or whatever positional group was misevaluated. It has been that way for nearly two decades.