Stephen Jones: Lee a special player we want back in 2019

ShortRound

Reaction score

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...al-player-who-we-want-back-in-2019-127994199/

"We want him back,'' Dallas Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said, calling the 32-year-old Pro Bowler with a troubling injury history "a special player. ... I think he’s a leader on this football team.”

Lee is all of that. But he's also a player who if he returns to Dallas in 2019 figures to be a backup to young standouts Leightton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. And he's also presently due to make a $7 million salary and cound as a $10 million cap hit ... and while Dallas doesn't have cap problems, it's very difficult marrying the two concepts of "backup'' and "10 million.''

Lee was asked about the idea of retirement following Dallas' playoff loss at Los Angeles, and he spoke frankly about wanting to discuss his situation with his family -- that is, wife Megan -- before making any bold statement. Sean and Megan like to travel, enjoy time together in Southern California and elsewhere and surely have plenty to talk about. But in truth, Lee is leaning against retirement, and sources here inside The Star truly believe he can play at least two more NFL seasons at a high level -- barring the hamstring issues that have plagued him in recent years.

Said Jones via 105.3 The Fan: “What a special player he (and) is being the wily veteran he is, he probably played the best in that (Rams) game. He had about 24 plays and I would say he played better, probably played the position better than anybody in that particular game. We want him back. I think he’s a leader on this football team.”

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Said Jones via 105.3 The Fan: “What a special player he (and) is being the wily veteran he is, he probably played the best in that (Rams) game. He had about 24 plays and I would say he played better, probably played the position better than anybody in that particular game. We want him back. I think he’s a leader on this football team.”
He got swallowed whole by the TE on the Goff first down 10 yds down field

He did not play well against LA

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I wants him back. Losing him is the difference between lb depth and a big problem with depth.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I wants him back. Losing him is the difference between lb depth and a big problem with depth.
If he wants to come back and compete for a job at a reduced pay then he has earned that much

But back-up LBs need to play STs and he is not able so that is a big negative

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I honestly want him back. Plus, when he retires from football, he'd make a great defensive coach/LB Coach. A lot of the Dallas defensive players respect him and he does have a good knack at reading offenses. Maybe let him get out his last year of football in Dallas, let em' retire and think about staying in Dallas as a coach.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I want him back to and on the field with the other 2. Yes they can split time a little too but this ******** staff needs to figure out how to get all 3 linebackers on the field at once.
Wilson’s position is much different than other 2. SAM mostly takes on blocks while WILL and MIKE flow to the ball.

madcow74

Reaction score
Id say trade for a draft pick but Im not sure we'd get much for mr. glass

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...al-player-who-we-want-back-in-2019-127994199/

"We want him back,'' Dallas Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said, calling the 32-year-old Pro Bowler with a troubling injury history "a special player. ... I think he’s a leader on this football team.”

Lee is all of that. But he's also a player who if he returns to Dallas in 2019 figures to be a backup to young standouts Leightton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. And he's also presently due to make a $7 million salary and cound as a $10 million cap hit ... and while Dallas doesn't have cap problems, it's very difficult marrying the two concepts of "backup'' and "10 million.''

Lee was asked about the idea of retirement following Dallas' playoff loss at Los Angeles, and he spoke frankly about wanting to discuss his situation with his family -- that is, wife Megan -- before making any bold statement. Sean and Megan like to travel, enjoy time together in Southern California and elsewhere and surely have plenty to talk about. But in truth, Lee is leaning against retirement, and sources here inside The Star truly believe he can play at least two more NFL seasons at a high level -- barring the hamstring issues that have plagued him in recent years.

Kids say the darndest things.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So, Lee walks up to Stephen, grabs his arm in a claw and says, "I know what happened in the steam room, you and Moore..."