Stephen Jones: Lee a special player we want back in 2019

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I honestly want him back. Plus, when he retires from football, he'd make a great defensive coach/LB Coach. A lot of the Dallas defensive players respect him and he does have a good knack at reading offenses. Maybe let him get out his last year of football in Dallas, let em' retire and think about staying in Dallas as a coach.
Odd and chilling how we anoint coaches.
You are the reason for the Rooney rule.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
For depth. But he is not the same player he has been. He was not the best player in the Rams game imo. That is an exaggeration. I do think that his leadership is valuable and that he has helped elevate Vander Esch and Jaylon faster than if he had not been there. Have to reduce his price though.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...al-player-who-we-want-back-in-2019-127994199/

"We want him back,'' Dallas Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said, calling the 32-year-old Pro Bowler with a troubling injury history "a special player. ... I think he’s a leader on this football team.”

Lee is all of that. But he's also a player who if he returns to Dallas in 2019 figures to be a backup to young standouts Leightton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. And he's also presently due to make a $7 million salary and cound as a $10 million cap hit ... and while Dallas doesn't have cap problems, it's very difficult marrying the two concepts of "backup'' and "10 million.''

Lee was asked about the idea of retirement following Dallas' playoff loss at Los Angeles, and he spoke frankly about wanting to discuss his situation with his family -- that is, wife Megan -- before making any bold statement. Sean and Megan like to travel, enjoy time together in Southern California and elsewhere and surely have plenty to talk about. But in truth, Lee is leaning against retirement, and sources here inside The Star truly believe he can play at least two more NFL seasons at a high level -- barring the hamstring issues that have plagued him in recent years.

Said Jones via 105.3 The Fan: “What a special player he (and) is being the wily veteran he is, he probably played the best in that (Rams) game. He had about 24 plays and I would say he played better, probably played the position better than anybody in that particular game. We want him back. I think he’s a leader on this football team.”

More of the " smile in yer' face,,,all awhile wanna take yer' place,,,the backstabbers,,,what they do",,,that former #50 is as " cut" as that raspy rat you cracked& held yer' ol' ladies head under the covers ,in that dominant display of just who is the ramrod of the home front , last week,,,STEPHENo_O

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Odd and chilling how we anoint coaches.
You are the reason for the Rooney rule.
While I'm not sure he'd be a great coach (although Vander Esch says he helped him a lot) I don't know what that poster's opinion has to do with the Rooney Rule.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
While I'm not sure he'd be a great coach (although Vander Esch says he helped him a lot) I don't know what that poster's opinion has to do with the Rooney Rule.
You are correct. You dont know.

Btw: We need another bag of corn. And the yeast is running low.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It would be good to have him back.
Yes,it most definitely would ,my Friend!,,, yet,,, just what was of stalwart remembrance from the #50's efforts do you recall from this previous seasons endeavors?

* I love the dude dearly myself, but(And this is my often entertained angle of thought in overtly employing "Cap limitations" circumnavigation procedures,, like say ,,ol' #50 was somehow deeded titled ownership to a boat rental & bait shop ( free& clear) 6 months after he calls it a players career?,,, er,,, or perhaps it's a bourgeoning of booming booze& boob strip club "TEAM FRIENDLY" players could enjoy the future benefits thereof)o_O

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score

It's got nothing to do with the Rooney Rule, the other poster is just trying to start **** by bringing race into it.

Rooney Rule doesn't even apply to coordinator or position group coaches.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I want him back to and on the field with the other 2. Yes they can split time a little too but this ******** staff needs to figure out how to get all 3 linebackers on the field at once.
Unless they go to 3-3-5 in nickel downs the base 4-3 is not played alot. Take a look Wilson's snap count and that is what Lee would get in the base package 4-3

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I want Lee for another season to continue coaching up LVE and Jaylon on the sideline between series.

Let him come in for a series or two as depth in the rotation.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If he wants to come back and compete for a job at a reduced pay then he has earned that much

But back-up LBs need to play STs and he is not able so that is a big negative
That's all that needs to be said.

Little Jr

Reaction score
This is when well ran teams let the player go. The saying is, better a yr or 2 to early than to late. I could argue we're already a yr late. Either way, it's time to move on. Fans get WAAAAAY to attached to players. Our FO does too.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This is exactly what is wrong with this organization. Why wouldnt they come out and just say we appreciate everything that you have done for us and we are moving in a different direction. Just let him go! Dallas could go out and pay a DT that money.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't know about played better than anyone else during that Rams game, but even if he did, that ain't saying much, it's like saying he was the tallest midget. He just hasn't looked the same this year, combine that with his perpetual injury concerns and salary, it might be time to move on.