Stephen Jones On Free Agency

dckid

Reaction score
The regurgitating is done by know-nothing fans who think it would have been smart to spend $55 mil on Earl Thomas. There is an epidemic of stupidity around here.

This has become the land of shrill and stupid
Why do you care about the spend? ET is arguably the best def playmaker in the league when healthy. BTW he will turn 30 this year. The Ravens are not stupid they have the best secondary in the league now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
and we have 125m in cap space next year

We also have a lot of key players who will demand big dollar contracts. Damn how many times must it be said. You think Zeke will come cheap hell no, you think Cooper comes cheap not a chance and Dak your looking at 25 mill a year. Thomas is an old injured player, I would love to have him but not at that price. If you do great but I think Dallas made the right move in not caving on that deal.

jhj7098

Reaction score
This all might be a blessing in disguise. We don't sign any impact players, they finish 7-9, 8-8 next year and Garrett's *** is out of here!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This all might be a blessing in disguise. We don't sign any impact players, they finish 7-9, 8-8 next year and Garrett's *** is out of here!

You actually believing little Stevie's "get over the hump or else" speech?

Little Stevie said they were going to "be aggressive in free agency" this year also...……….how that work out?

They got no intention of getting rid of their pet monkey, doesn't matter if we go 6-10 next year...………….Garrett is going nowhere.

jhj7098

Reaction score
You actually believing little Stevie's "get over the hump or else" speech?

Little Stevie said they were going to "be aggressive in free agency" this year also...……….how that work out?

They got no intention of getting rid of their pet monkey, doesn't matter if we go 6-10 next year...………….Garrett is going nowhere.
Yeah.. he gone at 8-8. If not, go ahead and give him an extension.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah I read it. And it's kind of bizarre article because it talks about inaction in FA then drops in that line that this is considered a fairly blah FA class. So if this was a one year situation it would make more sense.

But we know better. This isn't the Cowboys sitting out a weak FA class. This is the Cowboys continued refusal to try to better their good roster with a couple of impact type players.

Stephen's quote is disingenuous right from the start when he utters, "make a living there". No one has suggested the Cowboys make their living there. But as I said above, he apparently takes a foolish view that you either spend big in FA or you don't not realizing there is this huge middle ground where you can add a couple of players that make immediate impacts for your team and supplement the roster you built through the draft.

The best part is that Breer then ends his article with a part about the best signings and two guys the Cowboys could have signed, at positions they have need - DT and S, are listed. Both signed very team friendly contracts too.

So yeah, the article does nothing to really change the narrative here.

I actually agree with the FO’s general notion that free agency is fool’s gold that gets you in trouble and that building through the draft is the best and cheapest way to build a franchise.

That said, I also think FA is a tool that can be used to better your team when clearly better talent is available.

I don’t think they get that:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Why 2018’s Power Teams Are Sitting Out 2019 Free Agency
The Cowboys—loaded with young talent that they want to be able to take care off down road—are an example of why last season’s playoff teams have mostly avoided making a free agency splash so far. Why spend big (read: overpay) in what’s seen as a weak year for free agents?
By Albert Breer
March 18, 2019

all the craziness.

It is, quite honestly, what the Jones family has learned, through success and failure, about running a team in the NFL’s salary cap era, now in its 26th year.

“The biggest thing is just that free agency, I just don’t think you can make a living there,” Dallas COO Stephen Jones said over the phone around lunchtime on Sunday. “That’s what we’ve always said. I think you’re overpaying in free agency most of the time. [Free agents] are overvalued, because you’re competing in a market where you’ve got teams that don’t have as many players they have to spend on, have to use cap space on.

“And the other thing is, I don’t think you’re ever one player away. It’s a building process. You’ve got to have some really good quarterbacking to win championships, but you’ve got to put a good team around him. That whole theory that you’re one player away, it’s one that we don’t buy into like you might’ve in the past.”

Here’s the genesis of my conversation with Jones and a handful of other teams over the weekend: I spent some time looking at which teams have and haven’t spent since the market opened in earnest last Monday (and earlier than that on street free agents). What I found was staggering. And it’s so simple that you can really explain it in five words.

Most good teams didn’t spend.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/18/f...l&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com
----

My big question is why is this argument dumbed down to thinking if you don't go crazy in free agency that you are somehow smart?

There is a thing called a happy medium.

Once you have built the foundation, there can always be a roof added to the top to finish quickly.

People should not get upset that the Cowboys didn't get three or four expensive free agents.

But a well-placed precision strike is not the end of the world either.

The claim made in the article that good teams don't spend is not exactly true.

Teams like New England (Gilmore) and the Rams (Suh) added impact players that aided their cause.

Just call this what it is. Being cheap and thinking you are smarter than everyone else and you can just outwit everyone in April.
New England signed Gillmore going on 3 years ago. How long do we use that example before it's the exception that proves the rule?

Suh got a 1 year deal. And now looks to be moving on. Why is that any different than what we did with Hardy? Aka we've made those same type of "precision strikes." Oh and when have the Rams been the model to follow?

It's amazing how often people miss the forest because of all the trees in the way.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I actually agree with the FO’s general notion that free agency is fool’s gold that gets you in trouble and that building through the draft is the best and cheapest way to build a franchise.

That said, I also think FA is a tool that can be used to better your team when clearly better talent is available.

I don’t think they get that:

The problem you see is that the "clearly better talent" gets overpaid. Routinely. Annually. Almost always.

Why do you think players are so desperate to get to free agency?

You pick through the 2nd week and then move onto the draft.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Why 2018’s Power Teams Are Sitting Out 2019 Free Agency
The Cowboys—loaded with young talent that they want to be able to take care off down road—are an example of why last season’s playoff teams have mostly avoided making a free agency splash so far. Why spend big (read: overpay) in what’s seen as a weak year for free agents?
By Albert Breer
March 18, 2019

all the craziness.

It is, quite honestly, what the Jones family has learned, through success and failure, about running a team in the NFL’s salary cap era, now in its 26th year.

“The biggest thing is just that free agency, I just don’t think you can make a living there,” Dallas COO Stephen Jones said over the phone around lunchtime on Sunday. “That’s what we’ve always said. I think you’re overpaying in free agency most of the time. [Free agents] are overvalued, because you’re competing in a market where you’ve got teams that don’t have as many players they have to spend on, have to use cap space on.

“And the other thing is, I don’t think you’re ever one player away. It’s a building process. You’ve got to have some really good quarterbacking to win championships, but you’ve got to put a good team around him. That whole theory that you’re one player away, it’s one that we don’t buy into like you might’ve in the past.”

Here’s the genesis of my conversation with Jones and a handful of other teams over the weekend: I spent some time looking at which teams have and haven’t spent since the market opened in earnest last Monday (and earlier than that on street free agents). What I found was staggering. And it’s so simple that you can really explain it in five words.

Most good teams didn’t spend.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/18/f...l&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com
----

My big question is why is this argument dumbed down to thinking if you don't go crazy in free agency that you are somehow smart?

There is a thing called a happy medium.

Once you have built the foundation, there can always be a roof added to the top to finish quickly.

People should not get upset that the Cowboys didn't get three or four expensive free agents.

But a well-placed precision strike is not the end of the world either.

The claim made in the article that good teams don't spend is not exactly true.

Teams like New England (Gilmore) and the Rams (Suh) added impact players that aided their cause.

Just call this what it is. Being cheap and thinking you are smarter than everyone else and you can just outwit everyone in April.

I understand what SJ is saying and I understand the unlike by my fellow fans.

SJ has learned from past mistakes and just wants to meet in the middle. Player are following the market trend which is overpaid contracts.

I dont agree that The FO should indulge into doing that because it will only get this team back into cap trouble down the road.

If players cant meet in the middle than so be it. You get what you can plug in and if it's a decent upgrade on an already talented team then it's a plus.

I see alot of you havent learned your lesson from the past.

In the past alot of you fans were the main ones *****ing about Jerry unable to sign players, pushing money back, and restructure restructure restructure.

Now look at you. You've become the fat cat and want to bite off more than you can chew.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We also have a lot of key players who will demand big dollar contracts. Damn how many times must it be said. You think Zeke will come cheap hell no, you think Cooper comes cheap not a chance and Dak your looking at 25 mill a year. Thomas is an old injured player, I would love to have him but not at that price. If you do great but I think Dallas made the right move in not caving on that deal.
You obviously don't appreciate how much space 125m is and that is before roll-over, cuts and restructures

Quit Chicken Little-ing...... the sky isn't falling

27 players out of the 53 man roster account for only 10% of the cap.... that is before we add 2 more Draft class by next year

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
New England signed Gillmore going on 3 years ago. How long do we use that example before it's the exception that proves the rule?

Suh got a 1 year deal. And now looks to be moving on. Why is that any different than what we did with Hardy? Aka we've made those same type of "precision strikes." Oh and when have the Rams been the model to follow?

It's amazing how often people miss the forest because of all the trees in the way.
GHardy was 2015 and an incentive laden deal and he was suspended.... hardly a precision strike...lol

Just like HMelton before him

Try using someone else as a big FA signing

And the point about NE is that they are super aggressive int their roster building and don't exclude any options.... they will draft, sign, re-sign, trade, buy FAs large and small

Our moves are drafts, a couple trades and bargain diving FAs

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You obviously don't appreciate how much space 125m is and that is before roll-over, cuts and restructures

Quit Chicken Little-ing...... the sky isn't falling

27 players out of the 53 man roster account for only 10% of the cap.... that is before we add 2 more Draft class by next year

I do understand it and I also understand having star players of our own is not cheap. 25 mill a year on Dak alone is a big chunk of change. I'm not chicken little but not stupid either. You want to pay out top money for a 30 year old safety who have been dealing with injuries over the last 3 years give me a break. He is not a prime time player any longer yet you would pay him as such.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I do understand it and I also understand having star players of our own is not cheap. 25 mill a year on Dak alone is a big chunk of change. I'm not chicken little but not stupid either. You want to pay out top money for a 30 year old safety who have been dealing with injuries over the last 3 years give me a break. He is not a prime time player any longer yet you would pay him as such.
EThomas will be gone before Dak's big cap hits are felt in 2021-2025

There are no long-term deals besides QBs

With 125m you could sign 1 Billion dollars worth of contracts

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EThomas will be gone before Dak's big cap hits are felt in 2021-2025

There are no long-term deals besides QBs

With 125m you could sign 1 Billion dollars worth of contracts

Please, you cry over Thomas, I'm not. It was not a good deal and I say that as someone who wanted Thomas but not at all cost. It is stupid deal that hurt teams, you are looking at a name but that players is not near the same as he once was. Same with Berry. I would love to have him at the right cost and even put in incentives to give him the chance to make more but I sure as hell do not roll out the brinks truck and make him one of the highest paid safeties in the NFL. You pay that to players in their prime not on the downhill side of their career. That would be poor management on the Cowboys part

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Please, you cry over Thomas, I'm not. It was not a good deal and I say that as someone who wanted Thomas but not at all cost. It is stupid deal that hurt teams, you are looking at a name but that players is not near the same as he once was. Same with Berry. I would love to have him at the right cost and even put in incentives to give him the chance to make more but I sure as hell do not roll out the brinks truck and make him one of the highest paid safeties in the NFL. You pay that to players in their prime not on the downhill side of their career. That would be poor management on the Cowboys part
Scared money

Doomsday101

Reaction score
you have 1000 excuses not to sign anyone

I'm all for signing, if we were talking Thomas in his prime sure but now? No even the Seahawks were not stupid enough to pay that kind of money and they know 1st hand he is not that player any longer. KC rolled the dice with Berry extending the deal yet was a mistake because again he was not the player he once was, injuries start taking a toll and no team can afford to pay out big money to older guys who are constantly dealing with injury.