Stephen Jones on the contract extensions

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Signing all three to extensions with available cap would be a wise and prudent cap endeavor.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It doesn’t make much sense for most of these guys to give a discount at this stage.

The system is flawed because a second deal isn’t allowed until after year three, in which case anyone who wasn’t a first rounder ought to just play out the fourth year and be a free agent.

By the same means if you’re the team, and not getting a discount, may as well force them to remain healthy and perform before committing.

Bottom line is if you find a top player, even if it’s an UDFA, if you want to keep them it’s going to cost market value before all that long.

The first rounders are the ones who get screwed. Fifth year option plus two potential tags. If I’m CD Lamb I’m probably listening for that reason, unless he wants to go the Cabo route, which we know is going to beat Jerry every time. Proven formula.

So here we are….about to pay big money to players we couldn’t win with when they were making nothing.

Hate to be negative during peak Kool Aid season, but how exactly does that add up to a positive result?

Praxit

Reaction score
....we dont want any Roy Williams, Zeke deals anymore. We're hankering down. ;)...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
These guys already have insurance policies set up in case of injury. It really makes no sense anymore for a player to sign early as the risk isn’t that huge. Wait until the walk year and pressure the team to franchise you. I don’t love the system, but it is what it is.