Twitter: Stephen Jones on the O Line

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Interpretation:

"We have 4 good players, and we need a 5th. Chaz Green can stay through training camp, and if he surprises us by suddenly getting better, great. But we can't count on him and aren't counting on him to get better. Bottom line - we need another guy who is able to start and be consistently good. Collins can play both Guard and Tackle. If the 5th guy we find is a Guard, then Collins will stay at tackle. If our best 5th guy is a Tackle, then we'll move Collins back to Guard. Until we find the 5th best guy, we can't answer the question of where Collins will play."

Jumbo075

Reaction score
They don't want to give up on the 3rd round pick waste of space that is Chaz Green. Good grief....

No. They're just not willing to cut him before training camp. I think they are more than willing to cut him loose if he doesn't improve. They're just waiting until August to make the final cut...and they HOPE he gives them an excuse to keep him, but they're not counting on him. Hence the need for a 5th Olineman - because he's obviously not THAT GUY.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I really don't understand the hatred for Green.

He played well when he was the swing tackle in 2016 despite having to continually battle injuries like he has done throughout his career.

We tried to make him a starting guard and when he went back to tackle, he was screwed up.

Now, I understand not putting a lot of trust in him because of his health and performance last year, but I see nothing wrong with what Jones said about him. You take him to camp. You let the new OL coach try to straighten him out. You give him a chance to earn a backup role. And if he can't or is beaten out, you move on.

That doesn't mean you don't get a fifth starter in free agency or the draft and it doesn't mean you don't get swing backups in FA or the draft, but it's quite possible that Green could be a better option than a draft pick for at least another year if he can be turned around, giving any young backups we might get a little time to develop.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
No. They're just not willing to cut him before training camp. I think they are more than willing to cut him loose if he doesn't improve. They're just waiting until August to make the final cut...and they HOPE he gives them an excuse to keep him, but they're not counting on him. Hence the need for a 5th Olineman - because he's obviously not THAT GUY.

Yes he is not a guard. They never should have tried to make him one. That mistake was the staff's fault. Who knows maybe it has something to do with why Pollack is not here anymore.

I remember last year watching talking cowboys at camp and Nate Newton was sitting there saying this guy is not a guard what are they doing with him? I mean how does the staff do that to him? Its like 2013 when they tried to stick Doug Free at right guard and put parnell at right tackle because they couldn't find a guard. Thankfully they never did that during the regular season.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He lost me at continues to develop.
He concerns me even more than Jerry Jones does because he just completely amazes me at his lack of acumen.

At least with Jerry, I am struggling to decipher what he says. I get out my decoder ring.

Wait, he said "as I stand here right now".

Predictable. I am onto you, you little--

Oh, there he goes. "In my mind".

Fine, bring it. I got you figured out.

He just did the wink thing!

Wait, what does that mean??

Hold on, was that an extra lipsmack? Adjust!

Then, after it all, I am like Ralphie in A Christmas Story.

cern

Reaction score
his leash is short. doubtful he gets thru camp without an injury.

cern

Reaction score
Interpretation:

"We have 4 good players, and we need a 5th. Chaz Green can stay through training camp, and if he surprises us by suddenly getting better, great. But we can't count on him and aren't counting on him to get better. Bottom line - we need another guy who is able to start and be consistently good. Collins can play both Guard and Tackle. If the 5th guy we find is a Guard, then Collins will stay at tackle. If our best 5th guy is a Tackle, then we'll move Collins back to Guard. Until we find the 5th best guy, we can't answer the question of where Collins will play."
lest we forget, zack can also play guard and tackle.

kskboys

Reaction score
I really don't understand the hatred for Green.

He played well when he was the swing tackle in 2016 despite having to continually battle injuries like he has done throughout his career.

We tried to make him a starting guard and when he went back to tackle, he was screwed up.

Now, I understand not putting a lot of trust in him because of his health and performance last year, but I see nothing wrong with what Jones said about him. You take him to camp. You let the new OL coach try to straighten him out. You give him a chance to earn a backup role. And if he can't or is beaten out, you move on.

That doesn't mean you don't get a fifth starter in free agency or the draft and it doesn't mean you don't get swing backups in FA or the draft, but it's quite possible that Green could be a better option than a draft pick for at least another year if he can be turned around, giving any young backups we might get a little time to develop.
Did you mean his health and performance like the last 5 years? His injuries didn't just start.

Played well for 2 games? Yeah, there's a real studfinder!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we'll be okay when little pizzaface jr. takes over HC or the scouting department....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did you mean his health and performance like the last 5 years? His injuries didn't just start.

Played well for 2 games? Yeah, there's a real studfinder!!!!!!!!!!!

He actually played well in four games, starting two in 2016. It was his second season in the league after playing well when he was healthy in college.

Yes, I know his injuries didn't just start. That's the major drawback and the primary reason why we need to look for his replacement as the swing tackle. The possibility that he'll never play like he did in his 2016 performances is the other reason.

The fact that he played well in 2016 is why we don't need to just cut him, though. If we find a player equal or better than he is, then we can move on. There's no reason to move on before that.