Stephen Jones: Re-Signing Zeke Is A Priority

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – For a team that has several big-time contracts to address, Ezekiel Elliott tends to land on the back burner when the conversation turns toward extensions.

That’s understandable, given his status as a first-round pick. The Cowboys picked up the fifth-year option on Elliott’s rookie deal last week, which means he’s under contract for two more seasons.

To hear it from chief operating officer Stephen Jones, though, it’d be a mistake to think Elliott isn’t a priority for the Cowboys in the long-term.

“He’s the straw, if you will, that stirs our drink. He’s a key part of what we’re about,” Jones said in appearance on the “Pro Football Talk Live” podcast on Thursday.

There’s been talk about extending Elliott’s deal since the end of the 2018 season, when he piled up 1,434 rushing yards to go along with 77 catches for another 567 yards. Even as a top 5 draft pick, playing on a $25 million deal, it’s easy to argue Elliott is one of the league’s most undervalued running backs – especially with comparable talents like Todd Gurley and Le’Veon Bell playing on $57 million and $52 million contracts, respectively.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...ISJGIKjwZin8rts2kvK-G4Poz9gRAUDxs6ScWGfVIA97I

Daillest88

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – For a team that has several big-time contracts to address, Ezekiel Elliott tends to land on the back burner when the conversation turns toward extensions.

That’s understandable, given his status as a first-round pick. The Cowboys picked up the fifth-year option on Elliott’s rookie deal last week, which means he’s under contract for two more seasons.

To hear it from chief operating officer Stephen Jones, though, it’d be a mistake to think Elliott isn’t a priority for the Cowboys in the long-term.

“He’s the straw, if you will, that stirs our drink. He’s a key part of what we’re about,” Jones said in appearance on the “Pro Football Talk Live” podcast on Thursday.

There’s been talk about extending Elliott’s deal since the end of the 2018 season, when he piled up 1,434 rushing yards to go along with 77 catches for another 567 yards. Even as a top 5 draft pick, playing on a $25 million deal, it’s easy to argue Elliott is one of the league’s most undervalued running backs – especially with comparable talents like Todd Gurley and Le’Veon Bell playing on $57 million and $52 million contracts, respectively.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...ISJGIKjwZin8rts2kvK-G4Poz9gRAUDxs6ScWGfVIA97I

I’ll say this if you follow zeke on Instagram , the dude looks like he’s in the best shape since joining the team.

jujoboys

Reaction score

I wonder how Mike Florio can spin this quote to stir controversy since he has been pushing for Zeke to holdout all offseason. He could probably post a picture of Jerry with a glass of Johnny Walker Blue Label that does not have a straw and say something like: Dallas claims that Zeke is the straw that stirs their drink but it appears that Jerry has no use for straws with his drink.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Judging from the way Zeke's performance has been from the start, I'd have to agree with SJ's conjecture that "Zeke's the straw that stirs the drink." Remove him from the mix and you're got a pretty good chance of fielding a very average offense, imho. Hopefully, the defense will lift them to a higher level if things pan out as anticipated.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder how Mike Florio can spin this quote to stir controversy since he has been pushing for Zeke to holdout all offseason. He could probably post a picture of Jerry with a glass of Johnny Walker Blue Label that does not have a straw and say something like: Dallas claims that Zeke is the straw that stirs their drink but it appears that Jerry has no use for straws with his drink.

:lmao:

Daillest88

Reaction score
They weren't going to use that type of draft capital on an RB and then let him WALK.

Let's hope this turns out better than it did for LA with Gurley.
What’s going on with gurley

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
They weren't going to use that type of draft capital on an RB and then let him WALK.

Let's hope this turns out better than it did for LA with Gurley.

The draft capital expended in 2016 is a sunk cost. As a matter of economic rationality it should have no bearing on what we do going forward. Investing further in order to try to salvage value in a prior investment is called throwing good money after bad and is generally regarded as economically irrational.

It may be that this was always going to happen. But it doesn’t make it any less a questionable decision.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
5th year option is nice, but that's not the big problem.

2019 is the problem.

They aren't paying Zeke enough money.

Pay Zeke before he sits out camp.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Would it be better to extend Zeke now rather than later? We all know the career of a RB is less than a QB.

Get Zeke a contract now and wait for Dak until next offseason if he does well under a different offensive scheme. If Dak can prove his worth yet again, I have no issues paying him a higher salary than if we signed him now.

We all already know Zeke can ball out and he’s the key cog to this offense. Just my uneducated opinion.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The draft capital expended in 2016 is a sunk cost. As a matter of economic rationality it should have no bearing on what we do going forward. Investing further in order to try to salvage value in a prior investment is called throwing good money after bad and is generally regarded as economically irrational.

It may be that this was always going to happen. But it doesn’t make it any less a questionable decision.
I'm not saying it's the right decision. But this front office views Zeke as a generational player.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He deserves to be paid as the top runner. He can do it all. He is our offense. Top in rushing two out of three years. Like others have said. We’d be average with out me. I understand people concerns paying a rb a lot on his second contract but zeke is different animal I feel.