Twitter: Stephen Jones - Rico Gathers a work in progress

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Gathers gets no love because of his season long IR status last season. But that was not the case in the preseason. Folks fall out of love with these guys so fast. Rico Gathers, make us love you again!

LittleD

Reaction score
Why is he still on the Roster? We don't know how his play will help out, that's if he plays.

The reason is that they toyed with the ideal of converting Rico to the OL at the tackle position. He needs to toughen up though if he's
going to play NFL football.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Rico plays lights out in preseason last year..... Like debatable best player on the field....

Gets this weird/BS concussion......

#82 is still there....

I'm telling you---this whole situation smells like:espn:
As a receiver he made nice plays but the team wants him to be able to block to have a role other than red zone threat.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't see it.

Johnson would be reported to excel in OTA's and then get a hamstring injury that would keep him out of TC and preseason.

We never got to see him play.

Rico actually kicked butt in preseason and then got his jaw broken in practice. I personally believe that to be BS to stash him but even if it to be taken at face value, it still is more of a contrast to Johnson.

It's similar in the fact, that they flash some potential in the off season and the hype of that potential have people making them the next great elite Cowboy. Too many people take size, speed or whatever other measureable and get enamored by the "P" word, that they make the player an All-Pro before they've even seen them play even one regular season NFL game, much less an NFL season. The allure of the P word is strong, but can/will they translate it into fact. In Johnson's case, it was a no due to injuries. So far with the Legendary Rico, we still don't know, injuries and possibly mindset haven't proven if he can even make the 53, much less be the All World TE, too many people are hyping.

I prefer to temper those expectations, until we can see if they can translate the potential into actual play before electing them to ROH.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After pick 200? They bring in people from foreign countries that do not even have that level of experience.

Aside from the fact that while it happens, it's nowhere close to being common, you still only gave half an answer. The other part was about much these people play right away.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is pretty ignorant. Shall I list the players we have developed?

And if you think he didn't make a significant progression from his first year where he could only get on the field for the last preseason game to his second where he led the team in TDs in preseason and was CRush's favorite target. He was even getting movement in the run game.

Your memory as well as your commentary is fuzzy. My reply was to the fact that there was "no" progress with Gathers. That was Stephen Jones statement. In your ignorance, you did not list any developed players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a good thing Dallas never brought in Antonio Gates or he would of never had the career he had!

Not the same thing. Gates played football through high school, and was recruited to play football at Michigan State for Nick Saban, and actually entered Michigan State with the plan to play both football and basketball. He quit playing football only after he found out Saban wouldn't let him play both sports, so he transferred to another school to play basketball. That's a much different background than someone that hasn't played since he was 13 years old.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Just from going through Rico’s twitter he seems like a grade a scumbag.

But I will reserve judgment lol
Why is he a scumbag? Because he listens to and promotes hip hop? You going to say he is a "thug" next? Your undertones scream who you really are. His twitter says he can't wait to get back on the football field.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
As long as this coaching staff can really push Rico and he can get it together he will be such a dynamic player for us. He really showed progress last year in preseason with his route running. This year if he can get the playbook down and work on his blocking technique there is no reason he shouldn't be starting. The guy is already big, fast, jumping ability, and really soft hands. Now it's up to the coaching and his work ethic.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
RICODOWN.jpg
:lmao2:

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Why is he a scumbag? Because he listens to and promotes hip hop? You going to say he is a "thug" next? Your undertones scream who you really are. His twitter says he can't wait to get back on the football field.

Lol no- not at all.

I happen to be a fan of a number of rap groups, going back to Bone Thugs N Harmony and Gangstarr. We could go even further back. Have been listening to rap music most of my life.

He seems like that because he has a song out called “Ef that B” and is all over Twitter talking about how difficult his life is. He clearly has a massive ego for a player who hasn’t done a single thing.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Not the same thing. Gates played football through high school, and was recruited to play football at Michigan State for Nick Saban, and actually entered Michigan State with the plan to play both football and basketball. He quit playing football only after he found out Saban wouldn't let him play both sports, so he transferred to another school to play basketball. That's a much different background than someone that hasn't played since he was 13 years old.
If he hasn't played since 13 my biggest concern for him would be can the dude protect himself.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he hasn't played since 13 my biggest concern for him would be can the dude protect himself.

That's certainly part of it. There are a lot of very basic things a kid learns from age 13 on that over time become natural to a player, and Rico missed out on that. Obviously at his age he should be able to learn more quickly than a 13 year old, but part of the learning is putting it into practice on game days, and he never had those game days.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Lol no- not at all.

I happen to be a fan of a number of rap groups, going back to Bone Thugs N Harmony and Gangstarr. We could go even further back. Have been listening to rap music most of my life.

He seems like that because he has a song out called “Ef that B” and is all over Twitter talking about how difficult his life is. He clearly has a massive ego for a player who hasn’t done a single thing.
So how does that make him a scumbag tho? Bone thugs and Gangstarr tho. lol. Gotta evolve with the times.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It would really add another dimension to the offense
That alone is worth the work it will take to make him an nfl player
We will have a way to attack the deep middle which will keep the other teams honest. Something we haven't been able to do for a long time.