Twitter: Stephen Jones - Rico Gathers a work in progress

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Rico plays lights out in preseason last year..... Like debatable best player on the field....

Gets this weird/BS concussion......

#82 is still there....

I'm telling you---this whole situation smells like:espn:

kevm3

Reaction score
Rico was tearing it up in preseason, but for some reason they don't want to put the guy on the field. If you're not going to play this guy, cut him and let some other team take a chance on him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't see us drafting a TE this year. I think these guys are determined to make something out of Rico.

Frankly, I think we need to see what we've got with both him and Jarwin before we go full bore after getting Witten's replacement. IMO, they have this year to actualize their potential while we still have Witten to lean on. After that, we've got to find a new lead dog.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Rico can't block. Last I heard they won't let him practice in the rain for fear of getting knocked out. The legend continues.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, I think we need to see what we've got with both him and Jarwin before we go full bore after getting Witten's replacement. IMO, they have this year to actualize their potential while we still have Witten to lean on. After that, we've got to find a new lead dog.

I didn't think much about Jarwin, even when they saved him from PHI last year, until Jason Witten came out and said the guy can play. This from Stephen is just confirmation of that.

Witten's here until he doesn't want to be here. Then it's Swaim and Jarwin, and we'll see if Rico has what it takes to finally make a team this year. As opposed to tweeting to us that he's ready to be the next great TE in the league.

Either way, we'll probably pickup a blocking TE very late, or in CFA, just for camp. That's all I expect to do at that position until Jason retires.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The story to me is that Rico got passed up on the hype chart. Hanna gone. Rico huge and athletic, but apparently still not enough of a blocker to be our blocking TE.

"Work in progress". After two years. Doesn't sound like a lot of progress.

No matter what a mismatch he might be in the passing game, he won't see the field until he can block, both in-line and in space. Swaim gets overlooked here because he was a low pick, but he's a pretty good player himself. I don't think Rico does more than make the team and sit this season unless we have a run of injuries (knock on @Wood).

That said, Rico is really fun to watch in the passing game when he gets the ball. :)

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I like Swaim and Jarwin. Rico not so much. We don't need projects, we need guys who can play.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Mike Gesicki in the Second round. Witten retires, Rico goes on and becomes another bad rapper. Swaim runs like a deer on skates. And Jarwin who knows.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No matter what a mismatch he might be in the passing game, he won't see the field until he can block, both in-line and in space.

With Rico, it was always about blocking. Just learn to block, and he makes it to the goal line packages as a blocker/post up player. That's a guy you take to the game.

I'm disappointed that a guy that huge and athletic can't seem to figure out blocking. He's a trim T, with real agility. How can he *not* be able to block better than Swaim?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Rico, it was always about blocking. Just learn to block, and he makes it to the goal line packages as a blocker/post up player. That's a guy you take to the game.

I'm disappointed that a guy that huge and athletic can't seem to figure out blocking. He's a trim T, with real agility. How can he *not* be able to block better than Swaim?

Not everyone likes contact.

superonyx

Reaction score

I thought Blake Jarwin was a made up player cowboyszone members threw out as a joke last season.

I just looked the dude up and he is really a player...

That’s not making me excited about our depth at TE this year.
I love Witten but we need a real weapon at TE.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Blake Jarwin was a made up player cowboyszone members threw out as a joke last season.

I just looked the dude up and he is really a player...

That’s not making me excited about our depth at TE this year.
I love Witten but we need a real weapon at TE.

If it helps, Philly wanted him. So I guess we lucked into him somehow, despite not knowing what we're doing at the position because we've played a HoF player there for years when we could have replaced him by Maretllus Bennet or Gavin Escobar.

Reactions: CWR