Twitter: Stephen Jones - Rico Gathers a work in progress

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe that's it, but he was a rebounding forward. Not a delicate daisy.

I'm thinking it's the work. Knowing assignments. Improving technique.

When a guy who hasn't played football is talking about being "ready to be the next great TE", I don't picture him spending a lot of time on his blocking technique and assignments. He's not ready. He shouldn't think he is. But he should think he can get the skills to get on the active roster and contribute with a lot of work.

You can't really compare basketball contact to football contact. Nobody is claiming CTE in the NBA.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what this offense is going to look like this year. Whether it's good or bad this year will tell us a lot. I want some youth and speed at TE so there is no excuses for Dak. If Witten got slower older and less productive and Dak does poorly people might say he just needs a TE to improve. I want to know for sure if Dak is or isn't the answer by the end of this year and i think speed at TE will help me answer that question.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Blocking is want to. It's not glorious. It's the dirty work. Rico comes across as a guy not too interested in that part of the game.

Sure willingness is key but knowing when and where to punch, how to position your body so you can use your legs to drive, and all the little nuances having to do with a trap, drive, reach, pull, work in space, etc and then the other side of the coin in reacting to what the defender and defense is trying to do.

If just being big and strong and willing were all it took there would be a lot more NFL OL in the talent pool.

superonyx

Reaction score
I think some people are reading too much into Stephens words.
He didn’t say Rico was a bum who better pray he makes the team.
He answered in the best way you can answer without saying anything at all.

Let’s stop jumping overboard and see what Rico brings to camp.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
RICO MIGHT get cut in camp. Dunno much on Jarwin. We need a TE that can stretch the field. THAT would be Dak Friendly. We don't HAVE to get a WR.
Jarwin is Gronk lite. That's all you need to know.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
If it worked...this would be the best ever! I can only hope. Imagine 4th and 10 on the 11 NFC championship game against the Packers. 30 sec left Dallas 21 packers 27. Story Book.

That guy was a very good song writer for other artists and helped launch careers.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
You can't really compare basketball contact to football contact. Nobody is claiming CTE in the NBA.
Exactly. And boxing out guys that are 20lbs lighter than you in college is far different than blocking grown men who can woop your arse.

Heck, he was TKOd by a DB.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Sure willingness is key but knowing when and where to punch, how to position your body so you can use your legs to drive, and all the little nuances having to do with a trap, drive, reach, pull, work in space, etc and then the other side of the coin in reacting to what the defender and defense is trying to do.

If just being big and strong and willing were all it took there would be a lot more NFL OL in the talent pool.
Don't disagree at all. Especially at the NFL level. All those guys are physically elite. The good ones are the ones who really learn the game within the game. And are tough enough to endure.

Aven8

Reaction score
Sighhhhhh.....I'm so tired of Witt. He's been a great and all class Cowboy but I'm ready for new blood.

This is his last year IMO and will take one of the network jobsnext season. We need a TE in this draft. Swaim.....good grief.......smh

jnday

Reaction score
I don't see us drafting a TE this year. I think these guys are determined to make something out of Rico.
Rico showed signs of having great potential until he took a big hit. He was impressive in last year's preseason considering his lack of football experience.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Sighhhhhh.....I'm so tired of Witt. He's been a great and all class Cowboy but I'm ready for new blood.

This is his last year IMO and will take one of the network jobsnext season. We need a TE in this draft. Swaim.....good grief.......smh
He intends to play until he is 40