Twitter: Stephen Jones - Rico Gathers a work in progress

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
He intends to play until he is 40
And take 97% of those snaps with him... even after he retires!
No TE shall take snaps for the Cowboys for 3 years until after Thy Gawd Jay Thy Witten, Hallowed be Thy Name... Hath done thy forgivens, thrice upon thrice, everyday shall thy and thine perform!

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
He intends to play until he is 40
Witten can play as long as he likes. He just needs to take a lesser role. Witten is a hard worker and great team/practice guy, always room for people like that, but we need a different kind of TE to be the #1 now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You can't really compare basketball contact to football contact. Nobody is claiming CTE in the NBA.

Not exactly the same, but you can always compare things. Rebounding is all about shielding guys off for position, just with your back instead of your front. You'll often see less aggressive pushing and shoving on the football field. It's more an issue of will and tenacity than explosive hitting.

If you have the will and tenacity in basketball, that's a good sign for having it for football.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Rico Gathers had any real athletic ability, he would’ve already been playing in some overseas basketball league, working towards making the G League and then maybe getting an NBA tryout.

I know some people are salivating over the guy because he made a couple of decent preseason plays against camp-body Smurfs, but starting NFL DBs will eat him for lunch.

I'm sure you understand the NBA. A 6-6 player is a small forward or guard, most likely guard. Small forwards tend to weigh about 230. LeBron is 6-7, 250.

Even Charles Barkley known for being a short but heavy forward was 6-5 and about 250 in his best years.

Rico is 6-6, 270 minimum and has been up to 290. That's to big at guard/small-forward and too short at power forward/center.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Who cares what Junior thinks? Anybody on this Forum could say the same thing.

jnday

Reaction score
Sighhhhhh.....I'm so tired of Witt. He's been a great and all class Cowboy but I'm ready for new blood.

This is his last year IMO and will take one of the network jobsnext season. We need a TE in this draft. Swaim.....good grief.......smh
I am so tired of Wittenberg running pass routes that are always one yard short of getting a first down. I don't understand how a player with his experience constantly makes the same mistake game after game. How in the heck does he not know to take one more step while running his routes? It is an inexcusable fault for a player that is one of the all time greats at his position.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This team has guys that will hit, but they don't tackle. I hope K Richard brings that to the forefront and attacks that egregious garbage.
Yep. And a lot of those hits are on our own guys. Heath and Lee are bad at that.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Just further proof they shelved the guy last year and pretended he had a year long concussion.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I am so tired of Wittenberg running pass routes that are always one yard short of getting a first down. I don't understand how a player with his experience constantly makes the same mistake game after game. How in the heck does he not know to take one more step while running his routes? It is an inexcusable fault for a player that is one of the all time greats at his position.
It's because he can't move well. Never really could but now he's getting slower every day.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm sure you understand the NBA. A 6-6 player is a small forward or guard, most likely guard. Small forwards tend to weigh about 230. LeBron is 6-7, 250.

Even Charles Barkley known for being a short but heavy forward was 6-5 and about 250 in his best years.

Rico is 6-6, 270 minimum and has been up to 290. That's to big at guard/small-forward and too short at power forward/center.
Barkley's shot over David Robinson...
You follow, you know...

I still have visceral feelings towards that game.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Witten can play as long as he likes. He just needs to take a lesser role. Witten is a hard worker and great team/practice guy, always room for people like that, but we need a different kind of TE to be the #1 now.
Or a QB that can get passes to the TE that are on target or thrown when he is open

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Someone will still be obliged to win that designation over one who has proven himself time and again. Not a simple task for sure.
I agree and i also think Witten can be a very effective #2 for a few years if he's lucky health wise.