Twitter: Stephen Jones - Rico Gathers a work in progress

Aven8

Reaction score
I am so tired of Wittenberg running pass routes that are always one yard short of getting a first down. I don't understand how a player with his experience constantly makes the same mistake game after game. How in the heck does he not know to take one more step while running his routes? It is an inexcusable fault for a player that is one of the all time greats at his position.

John Madden would be griping up a storm if he was still calling games!! Lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rico can go the way of Martellus.

Martellus was a tremendous blocker. rico isn't cut from that cloth. I'm not opposed to the guy but you can't use him like a traditional TE. The coaches are going to have to get creative with him in the offense, but thats not one of our strengths.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Stephen's words lately don't sound especially encouraging. Being a 'work in progress' doesn't seem the best of recommendations.
Sounds like he wants the glamour of the catches and not the "glamour" of blocking.
I'm simply making assumptions though.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Martellus was a tremendous blocker. rico isn't cut from that cloth. I'm not opposed to the guy but you can't use him like a traditional TE. The coaches are going to have to get creative with him in the offense, but thats not one of our strengths.

They'll have this year to mold him as effectively as they can. If that doesn't work, methinks one might question if they ever will or not!

Corso

Reaction score
I only speak of his ability to speak out and publicly. The Bennett brothers were famous for it and he follows a familiar trait.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Swaim has a better chance of getting more reps/ pass plays if healthy. We put jarwin on the 53 and it cost him a ring. I hope we give him a chance as well. In todays game these te's should be able to run more routes.

Corso

Reaction score
Blocking entails familiarizing oneself with the defensive assignments as well as his offensive obligations. I wonder if his brain allows that.
Si, mi amigo.
This could be an easy conundrum.

Guy don't want learn how to block for a running team?
Go have a nowhere career. Good luck.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I only speak of his ability to speak out and publicly. The Bennett brothers were famous for it and he follows a familiar trait.

Yeah, I can see that. Martellus was .a clown from day 1 but he was talented. Not so sure Rico can walk that line with his tenuous spot on the team.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Link? Or are you hand timing him yourself?

And there's no way nextgen stats could provide it since Witten never gets more than 10 yards downfield now.
Watch the training camp reports things can be learned by doing that. The Cowboys hold a combine type work out every season Witten never gets out of shape. His personal off season workouts are tougher than training camp!

Corso

Reaction score
Who here thinks, or believes, or remotely has studied Wittens running last year?
He play like a burner? Like he's a 4.6, 40 TE?

Dude plays like a 5.9 slogger that uses his body and intelligent savvy to create open pockets and then gets nowhere after he catches the ball he worked so hard for.
This here's for @gp_cowpolk

cern

Reaction score
this is year three for the legend in his own mind. if he doesn't shine this year he goes from a work in progress to a bust. but other power forwards have become outstanding te's. if he's coachable, he's got a chance.