Twitter: Stephen Jones - Rico Gathers a work in progress

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Honestly, folks -- I'm a perennial admirer of Witten and his wily knowledge of gaining offensive advantage over the competition but his time is becoming incrementally closer each year to hanging it up. Here's hoping we establish another youngster with the wherewithal to do better. In the meantime, we'll likely have to content ourselves with minimal yardage after catches and declining production. May those like Blake and Gathers finally learn to "cut the mustard" once and for all. To me, it's depressing to hear Stephen talk about how satisfied he is with our TE situation. The time is at hand where some newfound TE talent must come forth to be recognized.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
You are reading wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much into that.
No I’m not. I was hoping for better news than that by now,and that’s not a statement of “Yep,looks great,and looking forward to him playing this year.” It’s “still in project mode” language. Let’s see if Mr.Rico can push that prognosis ahead in camp. I think he can and will myself...

GenoT

Reaction score
I'm sure you understand the NBA. A 6-6 player is a small forward or guard, most likely guard. Small forwards tend to weigh about 230. LeBron is 6-7, 250.

Even Charles Barkley known for being a short but heavy forward was 6-5 and about 250 in his best years.

Rico is 6-6, 270 minimum and has been up to 290. That's to big at guard/small-forward and too short at power forward/center.

Good points, my friend.

However, IMHO, a 6’6” b-baller, who can’t keep himself in shape to play that sport, won’t have the commitment/work-ethic to learn both the blocking and receiving technique/footwork necessary to be a successful TE in the NFL.

Once again, I seriously doubt Rico will ever succeed against first-string NFL defenders.

We’ll see...

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
No I’m not. I was hoping for better news than that by now,and that’s not a statement of “Yep,looks great,and looking forward to him playing this year.” It’s “still in project mode” language. Let’s see if Mr.Rico can push that prognosis ahead in camp. I think he can and will myself...
I hope he is great Witten is going to have to be replaced sooner or later. Will not happen this season. But if 1 hit does that to Rico what will a big hit do to him?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are still reading far too much into it. It was a statement. Just words. Words that mean NOTHING. It's the end of April. All predraft stuff means.....nothing! Of course the Cowboys could say “Yep,looks great,and looking forward to him playing this year.” but what would be the point? They learned how to talk like Belicheat. OTA's are coming up soon and everyone will get a chance to see what he looks like.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good points, my friend.

However, IMHO, a 6’6” b-baller, who can’t keep himself in shape to play that sport, won’t have the commitment/work-ethic to learn both the blocking and receiving technique/footwork necessary to be a successful TE in the NFL.

Once again, I seriously doubt Rico will ever succeed against first-string NFL defenders.

We’ll see...

A guy that naturally carries 270 is not going to play BB at 230 regardless of how good of shape he is in. It's just a different body type.

The chance of a college player making an NBA team is statistically much lower than a college player making an NFL team. Many scrub NBA players would be considered freak athletes on an NFL team.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't see us drafting a TE this year. I think these guys are determined to make something out of Rico.

Yeah, but they need some skepticism after that crazy healing time for his concussion. One more of those and he might decide to hang it up.

GenoT

Reaction score
A guy that naturally carries 270 is not going to play BB at 230 regardless of how good of shape he is in. It's just a different body type.

The chance of a college player making an NBA team is statistically much lower than a college player making an NFL team. Many scrub NBA players would be considered freak athletes on an NFL team.

All good and fine, but at this point and despite his preseason heroics vs camp-bodies, Rico doesn’t have a clue how to consistently play the TE position at the NFL level.

Btw...I’ve followed the NBA (Lakers) since 1960, and there’s been more than a few guys, such as Wayne Embry (6’7” / 275), Bill Bridges (6’6” / 265), Happy Hairston (6’7” / 265), Paul Silas (6’5” / 260), HOFer Wes Unseld ( 6’6” / 270) and our man Barkley (6’4” / 265, by his own admission), who’ve successfully played mid-6ft and heavy.

One final point...most all of the big-body NBA players were listed 20-30 pounds below their actual weight. Late-edition Wilt was listed at 275, but actually weighed 325-340 in his last few seasons.

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score

Stephen wouldn’t know what any of our other TE’s can do - none of us can because they can’t get on the field as long as their man crush is still falling forward slowly like a felled tree.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Who doesn't? Stephen has the best life you could imagine, without being better looking, like us...
I do find solace in that, unlike Stephen, we can pick up chicks at the Gun and Ammo Expo and Rodeo.