Stephen Jones Supports Changing Overtime Rules

links18

Reaction score
Stephen Jones Supports Changing Overtime Rules:

“I certainly tend to lean toward the new rule. . . . I certainly watched every play of that Kansas City-New England game, and you kind of would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Kansas City got another shot at it, and then how the thing would have ended up. It was football, in my mind, the game at its best. I certainly don’t have a problem with guaranteeing each team a shot at it. . . . It’s certainly something that had some traction there in the room, and certainly saw some people who were very interested in it. But we’ll get on a call there, take a long, hard look at it, and I’m sure membership’s gonna get to see it."

I mean didn't the Chiefs "get a shot at it"? A shot to play bloody defense.....

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
I mean idk...I'm in favor of changing it too. Let them play until time runs out. Cant remember who we played but I think we got to OT and we never even got a chance to get on the field because the other team scored on the first possession. That sucked

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
From a purely entertainment perspective, OT football could be the apex if both teams are scoring touchdowns. Who wouldn't want more of that?

links18

Reaction score
From a purely entertainment perspective, OT football could be the apex if both teams are scoring touchdowns. Who wouldn't want more of that?

They need to make their minds up. Do they want shorter or longer overtimes? The way the league sees offense as the substance of the game now, it seems like rather than have the first team to score win, they would just make it so the last team to have the ball wins.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two observations-
1. Stephen Jones says “certainly” a lot.
2. I don’t think the NFL really knows what it wants when it comes to having a fair, quality set of OT rules.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score

“I certainly tend to lean toward the new rule. . . . I certainly watched every play of that Kansas City-New England game, and you kind of would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Kansas City got another shot at it, and then how the thing would have ended up. It was football, in my mind, the game at its best. I certainly don’t have a problem with guaranteeing each team a shot at it. . . . It’s certainly something that had some traction there in the room, and certainly saw some people who were very interested in it. But we’ll get on a call there, take a long, hard look at it, and I’m sure membership’s gonna get to see it."

I’d put money on the Chiefs winning it if they won the coin toss.

In this era of football, it’s all about offense. So OT gives a HUGE advantage to whichever team wins the coin toss.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Many want the college style OT but we've seen how that can go on and on and on. The current NFL OT can do the same until the quarter expires. How about a modified college system? Here's my OT idea with all of 5 minutes of planning.

1. Each team gets the ball at the 15 yard line with four plays to score. They cannot get a first down. Any penalty that normally give a first down is instead only given yardage and a new down. Therefore, other than penalty, each team only gets 4 offensive plays per possession.
2. Teams much go for 2 after each touchdown.
3. Field goals are allowed.
4. Limit teams to something like four possessions each until you call it a tie.
5. In the playoffs, games continue until someone wins.

These rules would make OT much faster in most circumstances. Like I said, I spent all of 5 minutes thinking of this so there's probably something really wrong with it.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
I mean idk...I'm in favor of changing it too. Let them play until time runs out. Cant remember who we played but I think we got to OT and we never even got a chance to get on the field because the other team scored on the first possession. That sucked
That would be the Saints in 2015.. took them all of 13 seconds to end the game. fastest overtime in NFL history. That's back when we were setting all kind of NFL and cowboy franchise records.... only they were all bad records.:banghead:

cowboyec

Reaction score
heck....lets just have endless possessions.

leave sudden death alone.
first team to score wins.
ipso-fatso...the end.
you've had 4qtrs to do something about it....why should your ineptness be rewarded.
sudden death.

cowboyec

Reaction score

they had 4qtrs.....if you dont want NE to win....heres a tip.....
S
T
O
P
T
H
E
M
F
R
O
M
S
C
O
R
I
N
G

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
That would be the Saints in 2015.. took them all of 13 seconds to end the game. fastest overtime in NFL history. That's back when we were setting all kind of NFL and cowboy franchise records.... only they were all bad records.:banghead:

It can't be the fastest. I remember a Detroit Thanksgiving game where (I believe) Chicago ran back the opening OT kickoff for a touchdown. That should have taken less than 13 seconds.

UPDATE: Just looked it up. That game was in 1980 and it took 16 seconds.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It's called defense. Can't blame the other team because they didn't do their job.