Twitter: Stephen Jones talks Byron Jones - 02/24/2020

glimmerman

Reaction score
We can’t afford him. Unless he really wants to stay and take less than what he will be offered elsewhere.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would love to keep him but I just doubt it will happen. Out of the current FA I give it about 30% chance that a deal is done.

quickccc

Reaction score
Seems like Stephen would consider Byron at a certain price, .. a B-tier dollar - otherwise he's free to test the water to see if he can get that (expected?) outrageous contract from another NFL team.
Doesn't sound like at all that Cowboys will be eager to make him among highest paid CBs in the NFL.

sounds simply like it's geared towards his limitations to make the plays, make turnovers. I think they may be making more towards what compensatory pick they will eventually get for Byron, than
re-signing him here for life. .

Pending on what is transpiring with the plans for Cooper, i'm already gearing up early for the next CB, DT within our first three early rounds.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I realize free agency and the draft are still ahead, but without Jones the Dallas corners are Awuzie, Lewis, and Olumba with Woods and Wilson at safety. That's a big pile of yuk right there. That's the kind of yuk that doesn't get fixed with a draft pick or two. Maybe they can sign Brown, a draft pick, and pat themselves on the back, but it's going to be a major downgrade from Byron.

If that makes you feel low, don't even glance the TE group that's currently held down by Dalton dirty deeds Schultz. Schultz and Schultz only. I'm not Schultzing you, I Schultz you not, and I'd never Schultz you about something like that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Seems like Stephen would consider Byron at a certain price, .. a B-tier dollar - otherwise he's free to test the water to see if he can get that (expected?) outrageous contract from another NFL team.
Doesn't sound like at all that Cowboys will be eager to make him among highest paid CBs in the NFL.

sounds simply like it's geared towards his limitations to make the plays, make turnovers. I think they may be making more towards what compensatory pick they will eventually get for Byron, than
re-signing him here for life. .

Pending on what is transpiring with the plans for Cooper, i'm already gearing up early for the next CB, DT within our first three early rounds.
I don't think it has anything to do with limitations. I think it is solely due to finances, and paying a few players most of the available funds.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
  1. Dak
  2. Amari
  3. Quinn
After that, this team won't be able to afford $15-million-plus a year for a cornerback.

I agree Dak is most important simply due to the position even though I am not on board with signing him at all costs. This really needs to be settled before making the other decisions.
I like Amari (going back to his Bama days) but if not for trading a 1st for him I would really be open to letting him go & drafting his replacement. Even with the sunk costs, i don't rule it out. I definitely think i can replace him more quickly than i can replace Byron.
I appreciate that Quinn plays hard and is a good player. After considering it, I think it has to be on a team friendly deal. He's not that great of an all around player and IF we strengthen the DT spots it should make our DE jobs easier in many regards.

So, I'm sorta open to seeing if we can't restock the shelves with FA & draft capital and perhaps field a better overall team while understanding that you would be letting some quality players go.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’m curious to see how his market goes. Someone will overpay but I feel there’s corners on the market that will be paid more.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree Dak is most important simply due to the position even though I am not on board with signing him at all costs. This really needs to be settled before making the other decisions.

It's looking like a year on the tag to me. Neither side looks to be in any hurry to work out a deal. But that can change quickly.

I like Amari (going back to his Bama days) but if not for trading a 1st for him I would really be open to letting him go & drafting his replacement. Even with the sunk costs, i don't rule it out. I definitely think i can replace him more quickly than i can replace Byron.

The team is stuck paying him. They were the day they made the trade without having an extension worked out. This will be the nest 'big mistake' people will be talking about in a few years, when the Texans and Rams are bent over a barrel paying Laremy Tunsil and Jalen Ramsey because of the draft capital used to acquire them.

I appreciate that Quinn plays hard and is a good player. After considering it, I think it has to be on a team friendly deal. He's not that great of an all around player and IF we strengthen the DT spots it should make our DE jobs easier in many regards.

He's the best pass rusher the team currently has, including Lawrence. The man had 11.5 sacks in 14 games last year. Second place wasn't close, it was Lawrence at a meager 5. The defensive line is weak enough as it is, they can't afford to lose Quinn.

So, I'm sorta open to seeing if we can't restock the shelves with FA & draft capital and perhaps field a better overall team while understanding that you would be letting some quality players go.

I'm not paying Byron Jones in excess of $15 million a year to give me 0 big plays.

lwehlers

Reaction score

sucks we will not be able to afford to sign him. wasted his talent the first three years at safety when he should have been a corner from the start. now he will go somewhere and have a chance at a championship with another team. this team would not have wasted all those years with garrett and marrineli we might have made a championship game.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with limitations. I think it is solely due to finances, and paying a few players most of the available funds.

I think it exactly to do with limitations - if he took the ball and force turnovers as we've the upper echelon elite CBs have done, if Cowboys really thought Byron was
Gilmore, Peterson (in his prime) Peters, Ramsey, etc. it wouldn't even be a debate of he's liable to go.
the finances you speak of,, .. comes in as how they view this/that player.
The biggest myth about the salary cap is they don't have enough to sign all their big name FAs - the question is more how much do the Cowboys consider Byron as one of their utter most valuable
cornerstone players ?

- Cowboys thought zack martin was one of the very best at the top OGs, ...they re-signed and paid him accordingly...
- if they thought DLaw was among the very best edge rushers, they re-signed and paid him accordingly
- ditto with zeke, (and his contract wasn't even expiring as a FA)... they already locked up Jaylon.
- Dak is gonna get his, and eventually be among the highest paid QBs in the NFL.
- if Cowboys really thought that highly of Byron, as he plays one of the most pressing, demanding positions in NFL., he would be in serious negotiations and be paid accordingly.
- they flat out re-signed the core guys they really want to keep.
- can you name one of their own core FAs that they really wanted to keep/re-sign ..that ended up walking in FA ?

- They will commit to highly paying those who obviously consider as key core player foundations of their team - if they don't... those players walk.
the Maliek Collins, Anthony Browns, Heaths, Antwuann Woods, Tyrone Crawfords, Anthony Hitchens, Barry Church,.. even DeMarco Murray..
I still hearing a few moan that we should have never let Ron Learly walk out as a FA. why ? he's never been elite, they've never thought elite, and he still isn't elite.
they were not gonna make him top contract OG.

Irony of it, it could be a player many of the fan base or media types didn't have the impression that Cowboys really wanted to keep - but yet the team did -ala Lael Collins.
Obviously they were working on Lael's long term deal all along, could the same be said for Byron Jones behind the scenes ? ... we'll definitely find out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless there is some seriously creative accounting, I agree.

The only 'creative accounting' I'm a fan of is cutting the dead weight contracts in Crawford and Fleming.

But I have zero interest in getting further locked into deals with Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, or Elliott, or any of the offensive linemen either. No "restructuring" these deals to kick the can down the road.