Stephen Jones: TE a priority in the draft

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Swaim has been w the team for 2-3 years and they handed him an everydown role as if he earned that spot. He didn't put up any kind of numbers that resembled a good NFL te and the eye tests say hes a backup at best.

I get that Jarwin and Schultz are newbies and I know it takes time to acclimate to the NFL but there is just not a good excuse for not having a better te core in place.

I didn't like Hanna or Escobar either. We watched those guys play for 3-4 years and we heard the same lame duck excuses on why Tony and Dak couldn't get them the ball consistently .

I think they caught 5 balls in 4 years.

And Hanna played as a starter for 2+ years

The Te core has been trash for 5+ years but instead of a little substitution for better rbs and slot wrs we continue to send out these pathetic tes that are not worthy of any passing snaps

Until which time we start getting some black n white production there's no reason to use all these 11&12 personnel groups on critical passing downs .

Jarwins has muffed an offsides kick and been responsible for at least 3 interceptions Schulz isn't consistent and Rico is non existent.

If a te is playing every passing snap w no substitution then he better be getting 40 yards per game and a TD every 3 games and moving the chains effectively.

None of these tes are doing anything similar so until which time they do start succeeding then the answer is not to play them every snap

We've wasted thousands of snapcounts on non producing tes like Hanna Escobar Witten, Gathers Schulz and Jarwin so at some point you have to change the scheme.

We've had a shot to sign Good tes like graham etc but we never do. And our te drafts haven't planned out in 10 years so it's a tad frustrating

Until which time there's black n white production Everything these tes do as receivers is nothing but hype imo

I’m still confused on what you think I’ve said, and how you think what you are saying disagrees with what I’ve said. I know Swaim going into this past season Swaim didn’t have any past history as a receiver that would support making him the starter. That’s actually what I’ve been saying - that after Witten retired there wasn’t a remaining TE on the roster with any kind of history for the team to feel good about.

As for Schultz and Jarwin, I have never claimed they were special, only that they are in their first years playing in the NFL and have shown signs of promise. And I didn’t say that to indicate the team doesn’t need to add to the position, I only said because of it there is less sense of urgency than immediately after Witten retired when there wasnt even one TE remaining on the roster that had shown any signs of promise.

In any case, I will say I think it’s premature to say snaps were wasted on Jarwin and Schultz. Many of the best TEs in history had poor results in their first year playing, so history proves that first year does not define a career. I’m not even sure it’s fair to say they had poor results because their catch% and yards per catch we’re actually strong, so a lot may have been that they just weren’t targeted enough.

As for Rico, don’t bother talking to me about him because I don’t see any more hope for him than you do.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
It's hard to develop a te
I’m still confused on what you think I’ve said, and how you think what you are saying disagrees with what I’ve said. I know Swaim going into this past season Swaim didn’t have any past history as a receiver that would support making him the starter. That’s actually what I’ve been saying - that after Witten retired there wasn’t a remaining TE on the roster with any kind of history for the team to feel good about.

As for Schultz and Jarwin, I have never claimed they were special, only that they are in their first years playing in the NFL and have shown signs of promise. And I didn’t say that to indicate the team doesn’t need to add to the position, I only said because of it there is less sense of urgency than immediately after Witten retired when there wasnt even one TE remaining on the roster that had shown any signs of promise.

In any case, I will say I think it’s premature to say snaps were wasted on Jarwin and Schultz. Many of the best TEs in history had poor results in their first year playing, so history proves that first year does not define a career.

As for Rico, don’t bother talking to me about him because I don’t see any more hope for him than you do.

Well we sure wasted a ton of passing snaps on Witten Hanna Swaim and Escobar. We'd still be wasting passing snaps on swaim and Witten if they didn't get hurt or retire.

Maybe schultz and Jarwin do have some promise but their lack of production is holding this offense back in the meantime .

They may deserve some passing snaps but not all of the passing snaps.

Jerrah and Jason have allowed these tes to play every snap even though their production has been trash.

Promise is great .But the black n white stats is what earns you an everydown te role

The fb has promise but when he can't make a routine catch at the 1 yard line then wth is he on this team for .He didn't do Jack squat like vickers or Clutts but we continue to keep a roster w a scrub fb also that has promise.

Then they get cut and never get picked up by another team

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's hard to develop a te

Well we sure wasted a ton of passing snaps on Witten Hanna Swaim and Escobar. We'd still be wasting passing snaps on swaim and Witten if they didn't get hurt or retire.

Maybe schultz and Jarwin do have some promise but their lack of production is holding this offense back in the meantime .

They may deserve some passing snaps but not all of the passing snaps.

Jerrah and Jason have allowed these tes to play every snap even though their production has been trash.

Promise is great .But the black n white stats is what earns you an everydown te role

The fb has promise but when he can't make a routine catch at the 1 yard line then wth is he on this team for .He didn't do Jack squat like vickers or Clutts but we continue to keep a roster w a scrub fb also that has promise.

Then they get cut and never get picked up by another team

I don’t disagree about Witten - the team clung to him much too,long. I wasn’t opposed to him being in the mix late in his career, but no way should have have continued to dominate the receiving opportunities like he did. The Cowboys screwed that situation up.

And I don’t disagree that limited production from the TEs this season was a detriment, but with the experience they got, and the positive results once the team finally started using the TEs more lthe last several games, I believe the TE position will be more productive next year. We pretty much replaced our 2017 TE production in 2018, and that was largely with players with no previous NFL experience, so there is reason for some optimism. That’s not to say I think we have any blossoming Travis Kelce’s, but I think they will likely have a more positive impact next year.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I don’t disagree about Witten - the team clung to him much too,long. I wasn’t opposed to him being in the mix late in his career, but no way should have have continued to dominate the receiving opportunities like he did. The Cowboys screwed that situation up.

And I don’t disagree that limited production from the TEs this season was a detriment, but with the experience they got, and the positive results once the team finally started using the TEs more lthe last several games, I believe the TE position will be more productive next year. We pretty much replaced our 2017 TE production in 2018, and that was largely with players with no previous NFL experience, so there is reason for some optimism. That’s not to say I think we have any blossoming Travis Kelce’s, but I think they will likely have a more positive impact next year.

The production that Witten put up his last 5+ years was not enough to carry an offense. Not playing every passing snap. Had they matched his production in his prime I would think differently. Most of his production came from what the defenses gave him. He was able to move the chains better than this te core but on do or die and critical passing downs he put up more zeros than successful stats.

If you can't be denied because you have skillsets to beat good defenders that's totally different than taking what defenses are giving you. Kelce and gronk are dragging the best defenders down the field. Drawing double coverage. I don't see that out of our te core.

I still don't think we can be relevant with chopped liver at the te position in an everydown te scheme

Our QB has to have the worst qbr in the league throwing to tes for 5+ years and until that changes he's not gonna succeed. Romo couldnt overcome it and Dak cant either.

Every 11 and 12 personnel groups on passing plays has a detriment to our success as a team considering we have better rbs and slot wrs on the bench.

I don't see hope of any relevance with this scheme in 5+ years

Our sts is still subpar and not being addressed and our Defense bends but doesnt break until the good playoff offenses and defenses show up. And then they break pretty easily.

Anybody with football acumen should have known that The Ram's were gonna blow us out.

That's the only great thing about the cowboys is you can make a ton of $$$ betting against them come playoff time.

But as a fan the rb core is not elite at the playoff level. The Te core is irrelevant. The receiving core is improving but not elite .
Sts is subpar.

Even the elite defenses can't stop the 6 steaks these offenses have at the skilled positions.

And we never have more than 4 out of 6 steaks so we're gonna be watching the playoffs and superbowls on TV for many more years until we get a couple of more impact players

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

Who do you like tomorrow

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I like the Rams offense way better than the saints defense. And why I like the saints at home I'm not betting against Donald and Suh. Those guys are too clutch. I look for the Rams to win handily by the start of the fourth quarter .
I also like Kc. I don't think ne rbs can put up the same type of performance 2 weeks in a row so I like KC but it's Brady and Belichek so that has me worried but on paper I like KC. It just depends who wins the turnover battle

I think the Rams are in a class of their own and why I like the nearby saints I don't think the Superdome is gonna stop the Rams from blowing out the saints. I like the 3 points and I think Donald and Suh are gonna quiet the crowd early and often. That game is a lock imo. Philly was just too banged up on defense and still the saints couldn't close them out at home

Rams +3 Lock- Bet the Farm
Chiefs -3 coinflip

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I have an insider with cutting edge sources who have shown him legit documentation detailing Dallas’s obsession with a certain TE. I paid a lot of money for this information, so listen carefully:

Everything on this draft is riding on them getting their next Jason Witten: a guy from a relatively unknown school named Goedert. Dallas’s Goedert? Hmm, not seeing a first name. He doesn’t even show up in Walter Football’s TE rankings. But Dallas expects big things from him, he’ll change the course of this franchise. Just you watch, they’ll probably trade back into the first for him.

817Gill

Reaction score
They're never going to tell you going into a season that they think the players they have are lousy. Look at what they do, not what they say.
Bless you for your logic. Every year we try to make fun of our front office leading up to the draft even though they’ve more than proven they can draft all throughout the draft.

Also are people seriously mad about him saying this? Do you guys not watch sports shows that literally list teams priorities on the screen. Everyone knows our needs him saying this changes 0

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Te has been a #1 need since they busted on Escobar in the draft so there's nothing new to report for 5+ years.

Another fresh running back who can compliment Zeke and Dak and help score is a priority. Dline is gonna get some picks and Richard definitely needs a safety because once you get past Jaylon and LVE we can't tackle anybody .Esp if they got a Rams helmet on. Lmao . And at least one more receiver since Beasely and Austin are likely moving on.

Sts is still subpar since we lost Harris and Jerrah and Jason don't care as long as we can getl drunk and run the 12 and 13 personnel on passing downs. Lmao

We need to have a good draft but we need a couple of immediate impact skilled players on offense. Wr, rb or te.

We had immediate success in free agency with Cooper and I could see us going all in on offense w next year's picks since we have way too many guys coming up for contract and we're not gonna be unable to afford anyways. It's probably our last year w dlaw. I think he's gonna get the tag.

Expecing cuts to Lee, Crawford, Beaslely, Austin, hurns, swaim, irving, twilliams, rod Smith, olawale, gathers

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Are you asking about tomorrow’s games? My preference is for the Saints and Chiefs to win, but I think both games could go either way.

I was hoping KC could pull it off too but when The Pat's won the coinflip I figured Brady was gonna close the game out.

That was what I didn't like about No last week.Brees wasnt able to close out the game offensively against Philly.. I was surprised that No jumped out to such a quick start and I knew they would slow down the rams run game early but I thought they would be able to run late. It was suspect coaching by both sides. The defender did pass interference Imo but it wasn't a great throw and I think it would have been a tough catch. If the defender turns around it's probably a pick 6 but the rams caught a lucky break on the no call.

I'm still upset that thetBoys werent able to go further this year but maybe we'll catch a break and one of these tes can be the everydown pass catching te that we've so badly needed for so long.

We're probably going into next season without beasely or Austin so we're def gonna 2 more immediate impact skilled players and hopefully one can make an impact on st's also.
I was surprised that Bo Scarborough wasn't able to make the team just for passing but we are going to have to grab another rb to replace Smith fa and another receiver for Beasely so we're gonna have to make a splash in free agency in order to get a couple of day 1 starters

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I figure by the time the draft gets here we will hear about other position as a priority. I would love a top rated TE or a top rated DT or safety hell would even look at a top rated slot WR. What I love about the off season is how people react to anything being said.