Stephen Jones: TE a priority in the draft

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see the problem with calling out what you're looking at in the draft... It's not like other teams don't know what weaknesses the Cowboys have...

Come'on.

In addition it does not mean that TE would be the target at the end of round 2.

This team is go the BPA direction– Considering several different positions: TE, Safety, DL, OL.

Posters getting worked up over nothing yet again.

No other team is declaring their intentions on draft day. I wonder why.......

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im sure teams will take a TE just to block Dallas from taking one in the 2nd round. Its not like other teams dont know what each others needs are. And if you're a GM thats taking a position out of spite then there's a good chance they wont have a job long.

Philly just did it. They had Zach Ertz and still drafted Dallas Goerdert in round 2. Traded up to jump us.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't know you monitor the forums of all the other teams.

Thats a ridiculous point. Team forums are not primary sources of information.

No other team in the NFL has executives or coaches or anyone else employed by the team going to the media and declaring their primary draft targets. Even the teams at the top of the draft who have very little competition for those selections rarely ever declare what they intend to do.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol you really believe that?

I'm sure it was just coincidence. Witten retires.........we desperately need a TE........phillly with a young pro bowl TE on the roster jumps one spot in front of us at the last minute to draft him.......nothing to see here. Keep moving.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Philly just did it. They had Zach Ertz and still drafted Dallas Goerdert in round 2. Traded up to jump us.

Most would agree. They had a great te already but they are still bringing in guys to learn and compete.

We don't develop our skilled positions like that. Once you are designated the starter for the entire year then all the other guys are just watching and never competing. Theyre only there in case of injury not to utilize different skillsets as a tandem.

Then there's nobody to help mentor or compete

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most would agree. They had a great te already but they are still bringing in guys to learn and compete.

We don't develop our skilled positions like that. Once you are designated the starter for the entire year then all the other guys are just watching and never competing. Theyre only there in case of injury not to utilize different skillsets as a tandem.

Then there's nobody to help mentor or compete

No disagreement here.

Pants

Reaction score
Smoke screen; but of course, everyone in the league knows this. Predictability is the Dallas Cowboys middle name, so why not when they are trying to be “clever”

No one is buying what you are selling Steven, I mean Stephen

CapnB

Reaction score
I'm sure it was just coincidence. Witten retires.........we desperately need a TE........phillly with a young pro bowl TE on the roster jumps one spot in front of us at the last minute to draft him.......nothing to see here. Keep moving.

So regardless of what the teams says, and regardless of the fact that all the media with their contacts have never said they were going TE over a olineman who had a 1st round grade by many many people and arguably was a larger need than TE? And you know it would have been leaked by now. You're still not buying it?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
They're never going to tell you going into a season that they think the players they have are lousy. Look at what they do, not what they say.

They said a lot and did nothing until it became apparent they had screwed the pooch.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

And that's a great example of why knowing our needs doesn't mean anything.

Philly jumped us because they knew we needed a TE. However, the Cowboys war room seemed to have 0 intention of taking Goedert. They were debating between Connor Williams and Justin Reid and working the phones with Seattle for an ET deal. When Goedert was picked, it didn't even faze them.

TE was the most obvious need in the world after Witten retired, but when push came to shove, Dallas had better players available in the 2nd. Philly acted on their best judgement, but without seeing our draft board or being in our war room, they still didn't know anything about what we were going to do.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
As a side note, I'm personally a fan of drafting a TE this year. The TE pool has been kind of sparse in recent years with all the college spread offenses using them less and less, but 2019 is looking pretty deep. If a real Y tight end gets pushed down into the second, I think he's got to be strongly under consideration.

Whatever happens, I think we're going to end up BPA'ing it. From what I've seen in most draft classes, the talent tends to drop off pretty fast after the top 50. There's usually only a few starter-level prospects left who stand out from the pack late in the second: like Justin Reid and Connor Williams this last year, or JuJu Smith-Schuster and Chido Awuzie in 2017, so I think we'll take the guy that drops to us without worrying too much about position.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Te has been the obvious need every year since Carrot top got here. It will always be a glaring need until we get one who is worthy of an everydown position.

We didn't lose much when 82 retired. The problem is we tried to turn swaim into the ghost of #82's prime and he was no better than the washed up shell of 82 as of late .

Maybe it set off a red flag when he retired but there were red flags for 5+years that #82 had declined and was just a subpar te playing long after his body had betrayed him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Crap I misspelled Stephen's name, my bad.

This is dumb, Stephen. Even if Swaim leaves via free agency, you've got Jarwin and Schultz who showed good improvement, as well as Rico improving with his blocking. Why on Earth waste another costly draft pick on another TE??? Keep developing the TEs you currently have.

What this team truly needs is a middle line clogging DT. Wisen up Stephen and draft a difference make at DT for once!

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We can draft 2 all pro dts, an all pro safety , anther all pro de and playoff caliber offenses are still gonna hang 30-35 points on us come playoff time .
h
The best defense in the league is the saints at home tomorrow and I guarantee you the Ram's are gonna stick 30-35 points on them regardless.

If the saints win tomorrow it won't be because their defense held the Rams under 30 points.

If the saints start slow like they did against Philly the game is gonna be a blowout by halftime because the Rams are gonna hang 30+ points on them. Bank it. The best defense is gonna get 30+ hung on them tomorrow and if Brees can score more he's gonna lose just like the cowboys.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
It's the same for ne. Kc is gonna hang 30-35 on them also . So if Ne is gonna win they better plan on a shootout

No defense is gonna stop the best offenses in football

Even if they have cleat problems

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We can draft 2 all pro dts, an all pro safety , anther all pro de and playoff caliber offenses are still gonna hang 30-35 points on us come playoff time .
h
The best defense in the league is the saints at home tomorrow and I guarantee you the Ram's are gonna stick 30-35 points on them regardless.

If the saints win tomorrow it won't be because their defense held the Rams under 30 points.

If the saints start slow like they did against Philly the game is gonna be a blowout by halftime because the Rams are gonna hang 30+ points on them. Bank it. The best defense is gonna get 30+ hung on them tomorrow and if Brees can score more he's gonna lose just like the cowboys.
Cowboys need another legit WR, not another TE which they have plenty of. Plus, they likely need another quick/fast slot receiver to take over for Beasley since Beasley is likely gone.

And, yes, they need a monster DT to clog up the middle. You saw how the Rams ran for almost 300 yards right up the gut last week, yet you're complaining we don't need a monster DT???

A monster middle clogging DT will not only free up our LBs, but it would solidify our Dline and allow D-Law and Gregory to feast off the edges. Guess what that would do for our D-secondary? See how that works?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Cowboys need another legit WR, not another TE which they have plenty of. Plus, they likely need another quick/fast slot receiver to take over for Beasley since Beasley is likely gone.

And, yes, they need a monster DT to clog up the middle. You saw how the Rams ran for almost 300 yards right up the gut last week, yet you're complaining we don't need a monster DT???

A monster middle clogging DT will not only free up our LBs, but it would solidify our Dline and allow D-Law and Gregory to feast off the edges. Guess what that would do for our D-secondary? See how that works?

Oh I get what you're saying. But had a big dt slowed down Anderson and GURLEY the Ram's still hang 30+ points on us through the air.

The rams made LVE and Jaylon look like mediocre lbs and they were all pro and pro bowl caliber until the high powered scoring offense sliced and diced them up . That game could have easily been 42 to 20

We're still gonna need an offense capable of Scoring 30-35 points to beat the Ram's Patriots or chiefs.

The best defense in NFL History is not gonna stop these teams from Scoring 30-35 points. I thought holding the Ram's to 30 points was pretty good considering they pretty much scored on every possession. Had they not drooped a couple of TDS and that pick 6 they might have hung 50 points on our top defense

Theyre gonna slice and dice the Saints d at home tomorrow for 30+ points so Brees and co better plan on a shootout. It may be on the ground or through the air but they are gonna score at will

There is no way to stop these top offenses come playoff time. They got weapons that cannot be stopped by anybody.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
I thought Garrett wasn’t trying to bring Witten back last year...