Twitter: Stephen Jones: "The cap is a real thing."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not at 6 mil, which is 3rd WR money.

I'm surprised. You don't generally like spending money on WRs either. 6mil is too much for what Cedric brings to the table. Too much for us to be spending on a 3. WRs on the back end of their careers can generally be had for a stick of gum, and they'd deliver more consistently than Cedric.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
That's what I wonder about. Will the market dry up for Gallup because of the knee? Jerry takes medical risk, and I think *likes* to get guys who will only come back later in a season. The convalescent roster extension. I used to think there was no way, but now, maybe Gallup could end up back here.

Yep, Jerry loves them bargain buy injury dudes. Can't really remember when one really worked out that great.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah I thought my post kind of implied we'd retain him. I don't think he will be that costly and I expect he is re-signed.
Kearse played well. Free agents coming off a good year are generally overpaid. Those just aren't the kind of guys we resign. Though the S market is kind of weird. More in the box type safeties often seem underpaid to me.

Reactions: CWR

CCBoy

Reaction score
That’s almost a million dollars per holding penalty!
Just don't get caught, and not on sweat equity just doesn't cut it. Discipline versus dedication was lost on him in Dallas. His act is second hand right now...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Kearse was an incredible find. Kazee and Hooker were meh to me. Not bad. Not good. Just there.
Kearse was a surprise.

A year earlier, he played 66% of available defensive snaps on an awful Lions team who was desperate for DB's. He had a PFF grade of 55.7.

This year he graded out at 76.8 and played 94% of the defensive snaps.

He signed for less than $1M last year 20 plus days into free agency.

I'm glad he played well, I was a fan of his coming out of Clemson. However his success will feed into this Front Office's misguided bleief that they kind find (cheap) gems in free agency, even though the majority of the Safeties they have signed over the years have been hot garbage.

Hooker was also a solid pick-up despite the Cowboys using him as a slot defender on Tight Ends, versus the single high role he excelled at with Indy and while at Ohio State.

Kazee was bad IMO, taking bad angles from depth and making some business decisions on potentially huge PBU opportunities.

Wilson didn't step up like I had hoped he would and don't even get me started on the constant liability that Darian Thomspon is.

Back to Kearse, he was calling plays and earned the trust of his teammates and the coaches. I really hope Cheap Stephen is overruled and Kearse is brought back (at a reasonable re-up).

mugsybows

Reaction score
I think Stephen is very very cheap and more concerned with making money than spending it to make the team better. He knows unfortunately the dallas cowboys are the most profitable team in league regardless who plays for them and regardless if they win a Super Bowl.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Tell that to the team in the super bowl who not only kept everyone but added a lot more. Meantime you are sitting home again already using the cap excuse for failure to keep players or add to the team.

The cap can be real while others teams manage it better.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Stephen is very very cheap and more concerned with making money than spending it to make the team better. He knows unfortunately the dallas cowboys are the most profitable team in league regardless who plays for them and regardless if they win a Super Bowl.
Not accurate. There is a salary min, so signing cheap FAs has nothing to do w/ being cheap. We sign mostly cheap FAs because we don't have room under the salary cap, plain and simple. And when we've signed big dawgs in the past, they have mostly underperformed. This is due to having men in charge who are not "football men". They are terrible talent evaluators because they don't get it, and aren't interested in putting in the work to try and "get it".

Stephen spends his allotted FA money every year. He and Dad have tried many different ways of building the team, but refuse to try the obvious one, get someone in charge who has a clue.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more Stephen talks, the more I realize there is no hope. He's gonna be worse than Jerry.
This may be true, but I don't get that conclusion coming from these words. The cap is a real thing, and all teams have to make tough decisions to deal with it.