1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Twitter: Stephen Jones: "The cap is a real thing."

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jake, Feb 1, 2022.

1. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

15,106 Messages
    8,346 Likes Received
    I have been told the cap is not a real thing on this board! When you don't want to extend the contracts of the highest paid players it becomes a big problem!

shabazz likes this.
  2. Jfconrow

Jfconrow Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    I kind of believe him except that I don’t believe the cap is a real thing, lol.

CWR likes this.
  3. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

19,290 Messages
    28,233 Likes Received
    That and they stopped respecting our run game. Combine both of those with a high priced oline that can't run block or stop a 4 man rush, AND a flustered QB. I'm suprised it wasn't worse when you think about it.

Fix the line and it changes a lot.

Buzzbait and kskboys like this.
  4. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

11,047 Messages
    18,713 Likes Received
    They didn’t t think that the “bar being lowered” was a real thing either, until James Cameron dive team found it on the bottom of the ocean.

5. zeke21

zeke21 Well-Known Member

1,045 Messages
    1,556 Likes Received
    So do you think anyone in the FO has worked out that when you pay a middling QB the highest contract in history it is going to cost you at some point? When you overpay an RB whose production has declined every year since? When you overpay a DL that hasn't played a full season out of the last six?

Be interesting to see what they do.. but there is no way (in my mind at least) that you can pay Dak 40M and keep weapons around him.

Next year is going to be horrible. Early speculation but I can't see it getting better.

6. JonesBoys

JonesBoys Well-Known Member

2,443 Messages
    3,424 Likes Received

Tell that to the team in the super bowl who not only kept everyone but added a lot more. Meantime you are sitting home again already using the cap excuse for failure to keep players or add to the team.

7. JonesBoys

2,443 Messages
    3,424 Likes Received

Yup, no sense of urgency whatsoever with this guy. He sounds completely content with the status quo. As long as he’s making money he could care less.

8. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

16,969 Messages
    7,565 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be upset with those things happening. Cowboys need to become a more physical team. Schultz is trash in the run game. He can go. Coop is unreliable and has a super high cap number and Gallup is a good player to have but you can't keep everyone. I would give wilson a shot at being number 2. Also I hope like heck we don't even think about keeping LVE.

CWR and Howboutdemcowboys31 like this.
  9. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

35,982 Messages
    38,762 Likes Received
    They didn't keep everyone.

10. JonesBoys

2,443 Messages
    3,424 Likes Received

Everyone of importance.

11. BleedinBlue

BleedinBlue Well-Known Member

888 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    They kept all 22 of the SB starters

12. kskboys

35,982 Messages
    38,762 Likes Received
    Of course, but they have the brains to understand who can be replaced reasonably.

Littleton, Cooks, Fowler, Weddle, John Johnson, Blythe, Brockers, Ebukam, Troy Hill, Josh Reynolds. All starters released the last 2 years. Most of them very good players. And important players. Thing is, they had a plan to replace them.

13. kskboys

35,982 Messages
    38,762 Likes Received
    No, they didn't.

14. BleedinBlue

BleedinBlue Well-Known Member

888 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    I heard it multiple times , too lazy to check but I believe it's true.
    The Bucs are the first team since 1979 Steelers to return all 22 starters from a Super Bowl run.Sep 9, 2021
    Google is your friend

15. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

11,072 Messages
    10,792 Likes Received
    I think the biggest thing is that there is no chance we are resigning any of our bigger free agents. Schultz, Williams, Vander Esch and Gregory are likely to walk. Could be a few guys under contract that get let go....Zeurlein, Brown, maybe Cooper.

Gallup is interesting...late season ACL means he probably won't be ready for the start of the season.

16. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

20,845 Messages
    18,100 Likes Received
    I'm a little wavering on Gregory. A little Jerry in me. I'd like to see him make good here. Before the playoff game, I would have easily agreed with you. Now it's hard. after all this time, he still hasn't turned the corner on stupid. I just don't think it will ever happen. I just think it's a bad bet.

He'll be 30 this year. Not on a cheap rookie contract anymore. Will cost real money. Now on the back end of his career. And still stupid. The risk/reward ratio just isn't there anymore. Let someone else risk big money on him, and we get a 4th round comp pick.

Haimerej, CWR and kskboys like this.
  17. buybuydandavis

20,845 Messages
    18,100 Likes Received
    Cedric at that money would be another Terrance signing. Another WR who made some big plays, but flubbed others. He is fundamentally limited. Just no.

18. kskboys

35,982 Messages
    38,762 Likes Received
    Brockers is gone. Littleton. Cooks. Johnson, Peters, Gurley, Blythe, Fowler, Matthews. That's 9.

19. kskboys

35,982 Messages
    38,762 Likes Received
    Not at 6 mil, which is 3rd WR money.

20. buybuydandavis

20,845 Messages
    18,100 Likes Received
    That's what I wonder about. Will the market dry up for Gallup because of the knee? Jerry takes medical risk, and I think *likes* to get guys who will only come back later in a season. The convalescent roster extension. I used to think there was no way, but now, maybe Gallup could end up back here.

Fla Cowpoke likes this.