Twitter: Stephen Jones told the team’s website that Dak has thrown with CeeDee, Amare, and Gallup

12+88=7

Reaction score
Just imagine this offense with a good defense and good special teams.

The defense was good enough, in the top 3rd of the league.

It was the inconsistent offense that cost Dallas last year.

The offense needs to avoid those massive swings week to week. One week #1, next week #32.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not how dropped passes work:

“This standard says drops are ‘incomplete passes where the receiver SHOULD have caught the pass with ORDINARY effort.’

Basically, we're talking about blatant drops, not the ones where your old man leans over and says anything that grazed the receiver anywhere was a drop in his day.

Only use this if the receiver is 100 percent at fault and no one else can be blamed for the incompletion, ESPN tells its game charters. "Pass interference that wasn't called/passes thrown just outside the receiver's reach, etc., are NOT drops."

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/45689/what-constitutes-a-dropped-pass

You put a lot of faith in NFL authority judgement call. I have found several "official" definitions...and there is a pretty big gray area...a black hole even ""should" have been caught with "ordinary" effort. It's a dumb stat.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
You put a lot of faith in NFL authority judgement call. I have found several "official" definitions...and there is a pretty big gray area...a black hole even ""should" have been caught with "ordinary" effort. It's a dumb stat.

I don’t disagree that it’s subjective.

But it’s also an area where our receivers clearly need to improve.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
James Winston lead the NFL in interceptions and interceptions dropped by defenders.

Prescott was number two in interceptions dropped by defenders. It's not just the Dallas receivers dropping passes.

Interesting.

I re-iterate....I don;t put much stock in this "dropped passes" thing. "oh he SHOULD have caught that".....okay.

But correlating all "dropped" passes blips the radar.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t disagree that it’s subjective.

But it’s also an area where our receivers clearly need to improve.

Sure. Several areas we do need to improve and I do include Dak in that.....5,000 yards notwithstanding.

MikeB80

Reaction score
it’s not as simple as saying WRs don’t winthere is no set formula that works for every team. NE didn’t have multiple great WRs, but they had a great WR and a great receiving TE. Same for KC last year. Sanders and Thomas were top WRs for Denver a few years back. Other SB teams have won largely due to a strong defense. Others with just a solid all around team. Different things can work

thats my point. Look at the past 20 years of champions. Only a few guys were considered among the elite at wr. Marvin Harrison, Issac Bruce, Tory Holt.

most of the big names, the front line guys everyone wants who got there lost or never get there. Larry fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne etc.

Mcarthy won with Jennings, Driver and Jones. So maybe there is hope I guess.

most of the teams that won over the last 20 years in this modern nfl since 11 or so...have had workman type wr. Guys that were not the highest paid and over promoted. The giants, ravens, seahawks and patriots have won over and over because of power football up front on both sides and a good group of players who know their roles at wr and tight end. Obviously gronk is an exception and they ran a lighter offensive line and running game in the last ten years in new england.

If I ran a team I would be modeling my teams after this and not a big 12 college team. You will most likely have ups and downs in the regular season when running into a team that can throw it all over as some of these teams have but when you get to the playoffs and the weather changes and teams are suffering from attrition and injuries, the teams that can play with power and score with small ball seem to keep on winning.......and the atlanta falcons of the world keep getting their ***** kicked when it counts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guess.

IMO this teams only real chance is the 2016 model, and much of that was the running game and keep away.

Guess there will be plenty of 38-35 games.

Cant stop em? Outscore em!

Hopefully we have a coaching staff that can now keep teams off balance instead of tipping our cap to the defense all game.

conner01

Reaction score
The WR group might be terrific (assuming Lamb pans out), but overall I would probably put the overall weaponry as the 4th or 5th best in the NFL. KC has the best weapons in the league, followed by either the Vikings or the Bucs. After that it is either the Cowboys or the Saints depending on how strongly you feel about MT.
That’s pretty fair
Top 5 talent is mighty good. With good coaching and top 5 talent you can do some terrific things

conner01

Reaction score
Hopefully we have a coaching staff that can now keep teams off balance instead of tipping our cap to the defense all game.
Every coach needs talent to win
But talent needs good coaching to be the best they can be
MM should make a big difference

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
thats my point. Look at the past 20 years of champions. Only a few guys were considered among the elite at wr. Marvin Harrison, Issac Bruce, Tory Holt.

most of the big names, the front line guys everyone wants who got there lost or never get there. Larry fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne etc.

Mcarthy won with Jennings, Driver and Jones. So maybe there is hope I guess.

most of the teams that won over the last 20 years in this modern nfl since 11 or so...have had workman type wr. Guys that were not the highest paid and over promoted. The giants, ravens, seahawks and patriots have won over and over because of power football up front on both sides and a good group of players who know their roles at wr and tight end. Obviously gronk is an exception and they ran a lighter offensive line and running game in the last ten years in new england.

If I ran a team I would be modeling my teams after this and not a big 12 college team. You will most likely have ups and downs in the regular season when running into a team that can throw it all over as some of these teams have but when you get to the playoffs and the weather changes and teams are suffering from attrition and injuries, the teams that can play with power and score with small ball seem to keep on winning.......and the atlanta falcons of the world keep getting their ***** kicked when it counts.

NE with Edleman. Denver with Sanders and Thomas. Giants with Cruz (1,536 yds) and Nicks (1192 yds). Saints with a trio of Colston, Henderson and Meachem. Steelers with Hines Ward.

By way, Reggie Wayne did play on a Super Bowl winner, and as for Fitzgerald and Moss, they lost in close games and they both certainly did their parts in those games, so it’s not reasonable to act as if the shortcoming was due to having a star receiver. Their teams may never have gotten to the SB without them.

But even if there weren’t star WRs on all those teams, what you are doing is treating all Super Bowl teams as if they had equal components except at WR, and that WR was the only differentiating variable that made the difference between losing or winning. The Seahawks didn’t have elite receivers, but they had the best running game in the NFL and arguably the best defense as well. But every team doesn’t win with that formula either, so are we going to claim that formula can’t work? The Patriots and chiefs may have only had one top WR, but they also had the best TE in the game, but that formula also doesn’t apply to every Super Vowl winner. So why does it make sense to suggest there is only one WR formula that works?

Loso86

Reaction score
The WR group might be terrific (assuming Lamb pans out), but overall I would probably put the overall weaponry as the 4th or 5th best in the NFL. KC has the best weapons in the league, followed by either the Vikings or the Bucs. After that it is either the Cowboys or the Saints depending on how strongly you feel about MT.
The vikings before or after they lost there best we. The bucks are cool but Dal has potential to be better there also, not to mention 21 and 20

MikeB80

Reaction score
NE with Edleman. Denver with Sanders and Thomas. Giants with Cruz (1,536 yds) and Nicks (1192 yds). Saints with a trio of Colston, Henderson and Meachem. Steelers with Hines Ward.

By way, Reggie Wayne did play on a Super Bowl winner, and as for Fitzgerald and Moss, they lost in close games and they both certainly did their parts in those games, so it’s not reasonable to act as if the shortcoming was due to having a star receiver. Their teams may never have gotten to the SB without them.

But even if there weren’t star WRs on all those teams, what you are doing is treating all Super Bowl teams as if they had equal components except at WR, and that WR was the only differentiating variable that made the difference between losing or winning. The Seahawks didn’t have elite receivers, but they had the best running game in the NFL and arguably the best defense as well. But every team doesn’t win with that formula either, so are we going to claim that formula can’t work? The Patriots and chiefs may have only had one top WR, but they also had the best TE in the game, but that formula also doesn’t apply to every Super Vowl winner. So why does it make sense to suggest there is only one WR formula that works?

Yea I forgot wayne was on those colts teams.

I do not consider edelman, sanders, cruz or nicks in the type of group we are talking about. Nor henderson or meachem or ward.

now Plaxico burress and colston I could believe they are frontline number 1 wr guys if you wanted to take that position but again that is 07 and 09.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea I forgot wayne was on those colts teams.

I do not consider edelman, sanders, cruz or nicks in the type of group we are talking about. Nor henderson or meachem or ward.

now Plaxico burress and colston I could believe they are frontline number 1 wr guys if you wanted to take that position but again that is 07 and 09.
I didn’t mean to suggest Henderson and Meachem we’re frontline guys, just that they were strong guys in a trio with Colston, who was. As for Sanders, maybe not typically a front line guy, but he and Thomas paired for an elite WR duo. Edelman, admittedly Is borderline as a front line guy though.

Cruz had over 1500 yards that one season - front line in any season. Hines Ward made the Hall of Fame. And, again, KC and NE had TEs that easily qualified as elite receivers as well.

In any case, there are more of these guys than you gave credit to, plus, that’s not the full content of what I wrote. Probably not even the main content.

The main content was that while it’s true top tier WRs aren’t present on every Super Bowl winning team, neither are top tier RBs, or top tier defenses, or even top tier QBs. Foles, Payton in his Denver SB, Eli, Flacco, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer werent top tier.

So, the point is there is no one formula fo hang your hat on that indicates what a team has to have forSB success, or that ensures SB failure.

It really just comes down to overall team talent, team coaching, players stepping up at the right time whether top tier talents or not, and even a few lucky breaks at times.

Brax

Reaction score
If the Cowboys Oline comes together and is top 5 then this should be the best offense in the NFL. With a real coaching staff and HC running the offense there should be no excuses.

Why would you put Vikings weapons in front of ours?
As long as they play Washington and NY every week they should be great, the O tend to disappear against the good Defensive teams. You must of forgot about that brilliant play against the better teams when the D held the other team under 17 points.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The defense was good enough, in the top 3rd of the league.

It was the inconsistent offense that cost Dallas last year.

The offense needs to avoid those massive swings week to week. One week #1, next week #32.
I'm sorry, but the D was not dynamic at all barely getting any takeaways and you forget the Special Teams was about the worst in the league giving that inconsistent offense the worst field position all season long.

Awesome run-on sentence. Slap me!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Basically it comes down to Rudolph being in my eyes light years better than anything the Cowboys have at TE.

I would take Elliot over Cook (though it is close).
I would take Thielen over Cooper (again close)
both teams have a set of first round WRs

If the Cowboys get a TE on that level (Rudolph is not even all pro but he is a massive upgrade over anything the Cowboys have) then they can be on that level. Instead they have Gallop who is the most unreliable WR in all of football which is one of the worst things you can say about a WR.

yah.....cowboys have better wr’s and rb’s. I even take dak. Te is the only thing better on offense.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Welp, congrats on posting for 20 years, and still not understanding sarcasm. :thumbup: Besides, I only eat Pringles. Gosh!! :facepalm:

Come away from the dark side. Lay's potato chips is the answer to life..