Twitter: Stephen Jones: Trysten Hill needs to "step it up"

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I just hope there were some of those guys in the room.
Allegedly there were.

It's been reported that the room was 50/50 on Taco vs Watt.

As far as last year, they were split between Hill and a safety (could have been Taylor Rapp).

Hopefully someone (Jerry, Stephen, etc) is keeping score on who was right and will give those voices more consideration from now on.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I think it is a bit amusing that the guy who says they don't do free agency because you overpay says he hopes they can find another Quinn or Bennett in that pool next year.

That comment makes no sense on any level. They had to trade for both players.

Low picks. Quinn has been a very good acquisition and those lower round picks have not been adding much value on draft day as of recent. I'm sure Bennett will offer enough value to justify trading a low pick for him as well.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't see why this is so hard. Every team in the division has a good interior line. The Eagles have Cox and Jernigan (who was a free agent). The Giants have a rookie they drafted, Dexter Lawrence, who looks like the real deal, and Dalvin Tomlinson who is a space eater. Then they traded for Leonard Williams. The Commanders have Allen and Payne. Look around the league. Almost every good team has at l east one really quality DT. The Cowboys have a couple of Jags starting.

This is the result of the Cowboys ignoring the problem for years. Remember when the offensive line was terrible and they signed a couple of Jags in the offseason? Nate Livings and McKenzie Bernadeau? What they paid for those two they could have pooled and gotten one quality OG. When it go so bad it could not be ignored they changed their philosophy and started using 1st round draft picks to fill the position. If they are unwilling to sign top free agents at that position, then they will have to get a high draft pick and draft one.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I don’t understand what Stephen is trying to accomplish through comments like this... Is he trying to motivate Hill? Lame. Calling him out publicly is unnecessary— especially if he hasn’t been talking with him internally.

Is he trying to communicate to the fans? We knew it was a reach pick already... not only was his talent questionable— his character and work ethic had big question marks.

Is he trying to warn us he can’t afford everyone? Yah— we get that too. Make better decisions on draft day and you won’t be in this mess. Gregory, Taco, and now Hill is simply spectacularly awful scouting and drafting— all while ignoring massive positions of need at 1T and S (going “all in” for Adams is a confession that he knows we suck there)

I just don’t understand what his desired outcome is here when he says crap like this
He likes the mic just like his Daddy.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Allegedly there were.

It's been reported that the room was 50/50 on Taco vs Watt.

As far as last year, they were split between Hill and a safety (could have been Taylor Rapp).

Hopefully someone (Jerry, Stephen, etc) is keeping score on who was right and will give those voices more consideration from now on.
Well the ones that wanted Taco and Hill need to be gone.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think the front office is looking at both Quinn and Bennett as one-year rentals while we wait for the return of Gregory and the development of Hill.

If Quinn keeps playing like he has, though, I hope they scrap that thought. And if Hill doesn't show remarkable improvement in his play over the remainder of the season, I hope that we don't just foolishly count on him making a big second-year leap.

Right now, 3-tech is still our main defensive problem to address long term followed by safety.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
By the way everyone is blaming Marinelli but I heard on one of the podcast shows that Richard signed off on passing on Thornhill making way for Marinelli to get his guy. The entire dline drafting process in Dallas is broken.
Rod has seniority with draft picks

glimmerman

Reaction score
He had trouble being motivated in college. Now he has been handed a contract. Millions. 4 years and almost 5 million dollars. Given 1.5 million dollar check when he signed. Guaranteed 2.2 million. He will come along at his own pace and turn on his talent after he has pushed it to the limits so he can get a new contract either here or somewhere else.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I think the front office is looking at both Quinn and Bennett as one-year rentals while we wait for the return of Gregory and the development of Hill.

If Quinn keeps playing like he has, though, I hope they scrap that thought. And if Hill doesn't show remarkable improvement in his play over the remainder of the season, I hope that we don't just foolishly count on him making a big second-year leap.

Right now, 3-tech is still our main defensive problem to address long term followed by safety.
Lol at gregory.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see why this is so hard. Every team in the division has a good interior line. The Eagles have Cox and Jernigan (who was a free agent). The Giants have a rookie they drafted, Dexter Lawrence, who looks like the real deal, and Dalvin Tomlinson who is a space eater. Then they traded for Leonard Williams. The Commanders have Allen and Payne. Look around the league. Almost every good team has at l east one really quality DT. The Cowboys have a couple of Jags starting.

This is the result of the Cowboys ignoring the problem for years. Remember when the offensive line was terrible and they signed a couple of Jags in the offseason? Nate Livings and McKenzie Bernadeau? What they paid for those two they could have pooled and gotten one quality OG. When it go so bad it could not be ignored they changed their philosophy and started using 1st round draft picks to fill the position. If they are unwilling to sign top free agents at that position, then they will have to get a high draft pick and draft one.
Tony Romo refused to sign his extension that Jerry desperately needed for cap relief unless Jerry agreed to a 1st round C.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trysten now says he didnt fall asleep, and he doesnt care what people 4think....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Lol at gregory.

While I may not agree on counting on him, I believe that the Joneses are. Quinn was a one-year rental because Gregory, whom the Joneses extended, was going to be out this year. If he had not been suspended, we wouldn't have Quinn.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
While I may not agree on counting on him, I believe that the Joneses are. Quinn was a one-year rental because Gregory, whom the Joneses extended, was going to be out this year. If he had not been suspended, we wouldn't have Quinn.
I know, and they’re dumb