Twitter: Stephen: Not enough momentum to get deals done in training camp

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, executive vice president Stephen Jones said he does not believe there is enough momentum to finalize deals with Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper or Ezekiel Elliott while the Cowboys are in Oxnard, California, for training camp. The Cowboys break came in Oxnard on Aug. 15 before heading to Hawaii for their preseason game on Aug. 17 against the Los Angeles Rams.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, executive vice president Stephen Jones said he does not believe there is enough momentum to finalize deals with Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper or Ezekiel Elliott while the Cowboys are in Oxnard, California, for training camp. The Cowboys break came in Oxnard on Aug. 15 before heading to Hawaii for their preseason game on Aug. 17 against the Los Angeles Rams.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

I feel that they have to get the Cooper deal done, even if they look like they're overpaying. You have to keep him regardless, and you have to keep the franchise tag to use on the quarterback if he and his agent continue to talk tough.

Jipper

Reaction score
no surprise here....get through the first couple games...get back to Dallas and get it done before we kick off the season....i think amari goes first, Dak goes mid season and zeke either goes 2nd before the season or not at all....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no surprise here....get through the first couple games...get back to Dallas and get it done before we kick off the season....i think amari goes first, Dak goes mid season and zeke either goes 2nd before the season or not at all....

I think getting a deal done with Amari will have to look like an "overpayment". Of all of the players, he and his agent seem most resolved in waiting it out and playing through the season, even with the risk of injury.

If I had to guess, I'd say Dak and his agents cave in and sign a deal prior to the start of the season and their player risking injury. I don;t think they have the same resolve on that front that Cooper does. Besides, Cooper is already making $14 million this year. Dak? Just $2 million and change.

erod

Reaction score
I think Zeke is first. I don't even think Amari wants a deal right now. He wants to test the market.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think getting a deal done with Amari will have to look like an "overpayment". Of all of the players, he and his agent seem most resolved in waiting it out and playing through the season, even with the risk of injury.

If I had to guess, I'd say Dak and his agents cave in and sign a deal prior to the start of the season and their player risking injury. I don;t think they have the same resolve on that front that Cooper does. Besides, Cooper is already making $14 million this year. Dak? Just $2 million and change.

Bottom line is DAK needs to be the leader of the team here and take what Jones is describing. "A top 5 player deal". This would set the tone for the other two guys and make a statement that he is not just out for himself but really trying to keep the interest of the team in mind to some extent. I think its most important to see his deal get done first for that reason.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Zeke is first. I don't even think Amari wants a deal right now. He wants to test the market.

If all these guys care about his being the highest paid player at their positions then testing the market is the way to go. If that is the case, then I trade all of them. LOL

Verdict

Reaction score
I feel that they have to get the Cooper deal done, even if they look like they're overpaying. You have to keep him regardless, and you have to keep the franchise tag to use on the quarterback if he and his agent continue to talk tough.

Actually that’s probably not accurate. They could, conceivably decide (based on other players they think they can get by with) that the price is just too high to resign Amari and let him walk in free agency for a 3rd round pick.

That would certainly not be ideal, but it would have been a cheap rental of the player for two years at a low cap hit.

Again, I’m not saying it’s ideal, or what I would do, but we also don’t want to pay him as the best receiver in football, because he isn’t.

The Cowboys waited too long to extend Amari for a lower cap hit. But that ship has sailed. If the young guys start stepping up in practice the Cowboys may start backing away from that deal.

Dak is probably going to get paid no matter what happens and it will probably be too much. But we do hold two FTs in our pocket.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line is DAK needs to be the leader of the team here and take what Jones is describing. "A top 5 player deal". This would set the tone for the other two guys and make a statement that he is not just out for himself but really trying to keep the interest of the team in mind to some extent. I think its most important to see his deal get done first for that reason.

I do think that's the one that happens first.

erod

Reaction score
I think Zeke gets done.

I think Dak wants a big deal, but the Cowboys really don't want to do that right now.

I think the Cowboys would really like to lock Amari up, but he doesn't want to do anything right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually that’s probably not accurate. They could, conceivably decide (based on other players they think they can get by with) that the price is just too high to resign Amari and let him walk in free agency for a 3rd round pick.

That would certainly not be ideal, but it would have been a cheap rental of the player for two years at a low cap hit.

You consider $14 million to be a "low cap hit"?

Again, I’m not saying it’s ideal, or what I would do, but we also don’t want to pay him as the best receiver in football, because he isn’t.

The Cowboys waited too long to extend Amari for a lower cap hit. But that ship has sailed. If the young guys start stepping up in practice the Cowboys may start backing away from that deal.

That's why I think they will ultimately look like they overpaid. They're stuck. You can't get just 24 games out of a 1st round pick and $16 million. That's a failure.

Dak is probably going to get paid no matter what happens and it will probably be too much. But we do hold two FTs in our pocket.

If we get the Cooper deal, we do. If not, it's pick your poison. and do you want to go back to the pre-Amari passing game of 2018? I sure don't.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still can't believe not one of the 3 deals is done yet.

Stephen-JOnes.jpg