Twitter: Stephen: Not enough momentum to get deals done in training camp

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen is cheap

He's trying to play the "tough guy" and "negotiator". Meanwhile, the price for Demarcus Lawrence went up about $5 million a year between 2018 and 2019.

The price tag for quarterback went up from $28 million to over $33 million.

And the price tag for running backs went up from $13 million to $15 million-plus a year.

And the cost for a top wide receiver from $18 to $20 million.

Great work there Spaulding!

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Translation: Dak, Cooper and their respective agents aren't all that interested in moving negotiations forward. These deals can get done in a few days with sufficiently motivated parties.

Zeke is probably a different story. It's likely the Cowboys dragging their feet.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they cowboys front office is a laughing stock a really good team with a good offseason and money is going to sink the whole thing because the jones have now become to cheap to sign top players to big contracts but if they let all three of them go into the season on prove it deals and the ship goes down then they can pretty much start over and move on but when they do they need to start from the head coach on down this sure makes there going to draft our own and develop is the way to build a team looks like a out right lie I think its that they are just to cheap

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones to 105.3 The Fan on the possibility of not getting a deal done with Dak Prescott this season: “It’s not terrifying to me. Do we want to make a deal with Dak? Do we want to do a deal that hopefully he wiil think is really good and good for him? We certainly want to do that but we’re not afraid to go another year. I mean we’re certainly not. That happens in this business. But I don’t want anyone to think we’re not going to go to the midnight hour and exhaust all things to get a deal done with Dak, to get a deal done with Zeke and to get a deal done with Amari and then get deals done with other players. That’s what we’re in the business for, to tie up young guys that we think so much of that we drafted.” If there is not an extension of the collective bargaining agreement by next season, the Cowboys can use the franchise and transition tags if necessary.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Dallasfann

Reaction score
they cowboys front office is a laughing stock a really good team with a good offseason and money is going to sink the whole thing because the jones have now become to cheap to sign top players to big contracts but if they let all three of them go into the season on prove it deals and the ship goes down then they can pretty much start over and move on but when they do they need to start from the head coach on down this sure makes there going to draft our own and develop is the way to build a team looks like a out right lie I think its that they are just to cheap

links18

Reaction score
They should throw a curve ball and resign Byron Jones to a multi-year extension before anyone else.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones to 105.3 The Fan on the possibility of not getting a deal done with ... If there is not an extension of the collective bargaining agreement by next season, the Cowboys can use the franchise and transition tags if necessary.
Sounds like a medieval mic drop ... aka .. the gauntlet has been thrown.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Couldn't disagree more. The whole "Dallas is cheap" narrative is just lazy. They have consistently signed their own-- and have been even willing to pay a high premium for elite players.

These current negotiations are complex for two main reasons: 1) the CBA is getting renegotiated for 2020, so nailing down contracts now with a lot of unknowns in the mix beyond this year adds a challenging wrinkle on the owners side of the equation. 2) Trying to nail down 3 top 5 offensive player contracts simultaneously is always difficult.

Stephen has maintained that it will require patience to get these deals done-- and that is an understandable position to take-- at least to anyone familiar with business negotiations. I believe all 3 deals will get done eventually-- just going to take some time and pressure for both sides to move towards each other a bit.

Zeke is posturing that he will hold out the whole season. If the Cowboys are smart-- they call his bluff. They lose so much more if they let him threaten them into caving to his demands. He may miss a few games-- but he would literally be flushing 250K down the toilet every game he misses-- just don't see it happening. He is referencing LeVeon Bell-- but their situations are different animals. Once real money is on the line-- the pressure starts to build on Zeke-- especially if Dallas adds a solid vet RB to the rotation that is capable of starting.

Dak is tricky simply because of the position he plays. If he is unwilling to accept a deal in the neighborhood of Wentz-- ownership should make him play out they year. Just know that if he plays well-- $33 million per year would look like a dream compared to what his agent will command at that point. Significant risk to take-- but if he plays lights out this year-- you'd have to believe that Dallas would feel better about signing him to a monster deal and committing the next 5-8 years of the franchise to him.

Amari is the easiest one of the 3 in my opinion. He is going to cost somewhere between 18-20 mil per year-- but he is not on the level of Thomas or Julio. Therefore-- they should get his deal done ASAP before Julio sets the market with a deal that is beyond what Thomas just signed.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
One thing to remember is that players are not negotiating or saying yes/no to offers. They are paying lots of money to their agents to take care of business. The agents want to hold out for the best possible deals, not only because it means more money in their own pockets, but also because better deals and happy clients generate more business.

At some point the players either
  1. Tell the agents to take the best deal offered so they join the team
  2. Fire the agents and sign with someone else, contracts done shortly after
  3. Hold out because they really feel disrespected, alienated, and want to be traded
At this point, I don’t blame any of the three for doing what they are doing. If Jerry has truly offered top 5 money, then come September, I will definitely turn on Zeke if he hasn’t signed. I don’t care if you think he’s #1 or not. Top 5 salary is enough and a fair offer from a team that wants to win.

As for Dak and Cooper, they will both play, new contract or not.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
What the hell does this even mean? Other teams reach extensions and resolve holdouts while in training camp every year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The current Cowboys front office has the reputation of be calculating and prudent and for being able to identify, develop, and retain talent effectively. That hasn't always been the case. If you think otherwise, you're out of touch with the reality of the situation.