Twitter: Stephen: Not enough momentum to get deals done in training camp

Verdict

Reaction score
You consider $14 million to be a "low cap hit"?

That's why I think they will ultimately look like they overpaid. They're stuck. You can't get just 24 games out of a 1st round pick and $16 million. That's a failure.

If we get the Cooper deal, we do. If not, it's pick your poison. and do you want to go back to the pre-Amari passing game of 2018? I sure don't.

If you factor the price we will pay for Amari (prorated) it’s pocket change compared to current contracts.

No. I don’t want to see Amari go. It’s not good, but there are worse things that can happen.

The same things were said about Dez and look how that contract looked in the rear view mirror.

erod

Reaction score
He's trying to play the "tough guy" and "negotiator". Meanwhile, the price for Demarcus Lawrence went up about $5 million a year between 2018 and 2019.

The price tag for quarterback went up from $28 million to over $33 million.

And the price tag for running backs went up from $13 million to $15 million-plus a year.

And the cost for a top wide receiver from $18 to $20 million.

Great work there Spaulding!

If they don't sign Dak, they'll save about $34 million this year alone to spread out over the contract next offseason. And if he poops the bed, they'll save even more than that. I'd let it ride with him.

Amari doesn't want a deal right now.

Not worried too much what they pay Zeke. He deserves to be at the top end provided there are behavior clauses built in. And he's rugged.

visionary

Reaction score
Actually that’s probably not accurate. They could, conceivably decide (based on other players they think they can get by with) that the price is just too high to resign Amari and let him walk in free agency for a 3rd round pick.

That would certainly not be ideal, but it would have been a cheap rental of the player for two years at a low cap hit.

Again, I’m not saying it’s ideal, or what I would do, but we also don’t want to pay him as the best receiver in football, because he isn’t.

The Cowboys waited too long to extend Amari for a lower cap hit. But that ship has sailed. If the young guys start stepping up in practice the Cowboys may start backing away from that deal.

Dak is probably going to get paid no matter what happens and it will probably be too much. But we do hold two FTs in our pocket.

Umm.. you don’t trade away first round pick for ‘rentals’. This is why teams with real GMs ) you know, the teams that prioritize winning, make the player sign an extension at the time of the trade

Our moron idiot trash GM, is too busy making money from concerts to focus on real football

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you factor the price we will pay for Amari (prorated) it’s pocket change compared to current contracts.

No. I don’t want to see Amari go. It’s not good, but there are worse things that can happen.

The same things were said about Dez and look how that contract looked in the rear view mirror.

Totally different conditions if you ask me. In every way.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they don't sign Dak, they'll save about $34 million this year alone to spread out over the contract next offseason. And if he poops the bed, they'll save even more than that. I'd let it ride with him.

If that asking price stays stupid? So do I.

Amari doesn't want a deal right now.

I think he’s going to require overpaying.

Not worried too much what they pay Zeke. He deserves to be at the top end provided there are behavior clauses built in. And he's rugged.

It’s the off field stuff with Zeke. I agree about him being rugged.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
They should throw a curve ball and resign Byron Jones to a multi-year extension before anyone else.
Stephen gets stressed if he has to field more than 3 phone calls a day. Give the poor guy a break.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
What the hell does this even mean? Other teams reach extensions and resolve holdouts while in training camp every year.
I think what Stephen is getting at with the 'momentum' comment is that there hasn't been (that we know of) any ongoing discussions following the offers that the FO has proposed to Dak, Zeke, and Amari.

Archer reported yesterday that the FO was frustrated with the lack of dialogue and eagerness to get a deal done from these guys. Who knows if it's true.

Tooter_Magee

Reaction score

Dez was 29 and coming off a couple average years. Cooper's only 24 and looked great with the Cowboys considering he joined in mid-season. And by most expert accounts, is one of the best WR at getting separation.
I'm not sure you can compare the two.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Momentum - the impetus gained by a moving object.

Neither side is showing the willingness to be a moving object and I started a thread about this about what the agents know. They know which side has to move first and training camp has nothing to do with it. They got stonewalled on those offers to all 3 who just happen to be in the positions showing the most movement for escalating salaries and those that hesitate will pay more.

The momentum is the salary level and the way it moved this off season, you would have thought the cap went up 30M, not 10M and everybody wants more than their share of that 10M increase.

This (guy) really needs to stay off the radio and stop showing how incompetent he still is because people would just guess at it if he'd shut up. Right now, there are deals being negotiated all over the NFL but you know what will happen? Surprise, we didn't see it coming because they are smart enough to handle their business out of the media and not have that as an added element to what can be tough negotiations with egos involved.

He's lucky he's dealing with guys that will not use the media for negotiation and will follow their agents' advice and just remain quiet and at work, or play if you're in Cabo. This isn't Bryant, who felt he had to respond to anything they said to the media.

Please someone remind me, there is camp going on? There are men in uniforms, our uniforms, doing footbally kinds of things? You know, the stuff fans really care about.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then how is it we have three of the highest paid offensive lineman in the league, and Lawrence just banked?

New England is cheap. They pay nobody.

This is exactly right. If we were the Steelers, Zeke would be playing for what his contract stipulated and nothing more then that. Wouldn't even be considered. Jerry, I think, is willing to consider a new deal, just not a Gurley deal, which lets face it, was a stupid contract to begin with.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what Stephen is getting at with the 'momentum' comment is that there hasn't been (that we know of) any ongoing discussions following the offers that the FO has proposed to Dak, Zeke, and Amari.

Archer reported yesterday that the FO was frustrated with the lack of dialogue and eagerness to get a deal done from these guys. Who knows if it's true.
No one does because the agents and players don't openly discuss it with the media.

Negotiating 101, when an offer is made do not immediately respond. If the offer is not acceptable, wait for the other party to speak and consider yourself already winning.

Now according to the media blurbs, this would be the next offer from the previous offer that was spurned and counter offers made, which were deemed unacceptable by management. In the meantime, someone released one of those reliable source tidbits that Prescott wants to be the highest paid player in the league. Now, which party do you think that information would benefit? Makes you wonder about that mysterious tape of Dez in the parking lot from a reliable source right before his negotiations.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Management slow walking pay raises?

What’s next.

The same management cutting the players when they feel they’ve outlived their usefulness?

What a time to be alive

davidariust24

Reaction score
Setting the market isnt in the DNA of the organization. We have so much talent that we cant do that with everyone. I do feel like the deals can be done. If someone is willing to take a descending contract meaning someone has to be the one who takes heavy money up front or first year and then go less and less each year after that. The total is high but to help the salary cap(s) the overall amount goes down. That's the only way it works. Zeke, Dak, Cooper and Smith can all get paid but all cant have ascending amounts. Zeke I understand his pain because he is a RB and may feel like he will get tossed like trash. I really think jerry will sign him next year but zeke has to do what's best him. I feel he is a generational back. His endurance and productivity these three years say that. I feel he will play at least 9 seasons. We will see. All of them deserve to be paid. I hope we get them done.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jones-new-deals-might-have-to-wait-past-oxnard

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is exactly right. If we were the Steelers, Zeke would be playing for what his contract stipulated and nothing more then that. Wouldn't even be considered. Jerry, I think, is willing to consider a new deal, just not a Gurley deal, which lets face it, was a stupid contract to begin with.
But that's the reason for this. Gurley can't even stay healthy, like some QB in PHL, and gets a deal like that and players that never missed a game because of injury and have stats to match want to get paid.

I think one thing we can be sure of, there is no owner collusion with salaries, these guys keep shooting each other in the foot. Which makes me wonder if some these guys aren't just a little cagey and driving up the prices to put a division opponent in a tough spot? They all know what players are coming up and how much space each team has. Ya think ole Jeff Lurie decided to throw a few extra bucks at his QB to drive the price up on Booger? If I had the space, I would do that. That's how some of these OK players get great money, the team has to spend some cap.

The NFL shifted from player based pricing to market pricing at some point and the price of a QB1 has little to do with where he ranks on the scale. As the owner, you either pay him the market or go shopping for another. And most likely, another owner will pay your QB to be his QB because it's all about upgrading.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But that's the reason for this. Gurley can't even stay healthy, like some QB in PHL, and gets a deal like that and players that never missed a game because of injury and have stats to match want to get paid.

I think one thing we can be sure of, there is no owner collusion with salaries, these guys keep shooting each other in the foot. Which makes me wonder if some these guys aren't just a little cagey and driving up the prices to put a division opponent in a tough spot? They all know what players are coming up and how much space each team has. Ya think ole Jeff Lurie decided to throw a few extra bucks at his QB to drive the price up on Booger? If I had the space, I would do that. That's how some of these OK players get great money, the team has to spend some cap.

The NFL shifted from player based pricing to market pricing at some point and the price of a QB1 has little to do with where he ranks on the scale. As the owner, you either pay him the market or go shopping for another. And most likely, another owner will pay your QB to be his QB because it's all about upgrading.

It's a bad model.

erod

Reaction score
Uh, Leveon Bell held out, too. For an entire season. In Pittsburgh.

And did you see what Antonio Brown just did to them?

Agreed on the Gurley deal, but he had bad knees coming into the NFL. Zeke is much sturdier.