Twitter: Stephen: Not enough momentum to get deals done in training camp

CWR

Reaction score
I feel that they have to get the Cooper deal done, even if they look like they're overpaying. You have to keep him regardless, and you have to keep the franchise tag to use on the quarterback if he and his agent continue to talk tough.

I agree. The market is set now and you have already invested in him. He has responded by being a productive player and a model Dallas Cowboy. Lets get this one done already.

If we aren't going to get Zeke done, then we may as well wait on Dak and see how he does in Zeke's absence.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think the holdout extends into the regular season. Very unfortunate, but the nature of the business.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Uh, Leveon Bell held out, too. For an entire season. In Pittsburgh.

And did you see what Antonio Brown just did to them?

Agreed on the Gurley deal, but he had bad knees coming into the NFL. Zeke is much sturdier.

And what did that get either of those players?

As far as the Gurley deal, who cares if he had bad knees or not? I mean, that makes it even more stupid but it's stupid on the face of it to pay a RB that kind of money regardless.

Wood

Reaction score

Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, executive vice president Stephen Jones said he does not believe there is enough momentum to finalize deals with Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper or Ezekiel Elliott while the Cowboys are in Oxnard, California, for training camp. The Cowboys break came in Oxnard on Aug. 15 before heading to Hawaii for their preseason game on Aug. 17 against the Los Angeles Rams.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Best long term news for franchise. Players (especially Zeke) are attempting to fix CBA rules on Stephen watch. Won't work.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Deals don't get done until they have to get done. Dallas could overpay right now and get it done but that's not in their interest. The players can take less money right now but that's not in their interest.

So, when is it going to be in everyone's interest to make deals?

Well, Dak really wants a contract this year. He is making a HUUUUGE gamble if he is turning down 5 / 140m or so while he is making peanuts. If he gets hurt or plays poorly this season, he could lose a fortune. Dallas has the leverage. Right around week 1, I suspect everyone will get rational and Dak will get an extension and its not going to be the monster that some are bandying about.

Amare is very well paid. He is also very good. His risk in letting this year play out is basically a horrible injury. Outside of that, he will get paid by someone next offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a deal.

Zeke is in a different situation. He almost has to go into the season. If the team is struggling without him, then Jerry will back up the brinks truck. OTOH, if Dak and Pollard keep things going then Zeke's leverage evaporates. I bet that he gets signed after week 2 and his pay is affected by team performance.

Summary, my opinion based on leverage points:
- No deal for Amare this year
- Deal before week 1 for Dak
- Deal after week 2 for Zeke

cern

Reaction score
this is not Stephen's first rodeo. he signed zack. he signed tank. the problem now is that he has three prima donnas who all need to be signed at about the same time. that should be three times more difficult than just signing one prima donna.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Be funny as hell if pollard and Webb become a great combo in the backfield when zeke is out and Dak actually does take the next step.. id trade zeke in a heartbeat , sick of his drama every year.

erod

Reaction score
And what did that get either of those players?

As far as the Gurley deal, who cares if he had bad knees or not? I mean, that makes it even more stupid but it's stupid on the face of it to pay a RB that kind of money regardless.

Well, it got Antonio Brown a big ole pile of money. Bell got a nice deal now, but lost a year's pay.

Zeke isn't likely to accept less, so here we are.

His problem is that Dallas opens with three easy games by NFL standards.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, it got Antonio Brown a big ole pile of money. Bell got a nice deal now, but lost a year's pay.

Zeke isn't likely to accept less, so here we are.

His problem is that Dallas opens with three easy games by NFL standards.

LOL.... It left Brown playing for another team so no, it didn't work out all that well IMO but hey, if your ties are with the players rather then the team, then you would probably see it that way. I am not pro player, I am 100% team aligned. The team will always be there, the player might hold out and be gone two years early.

jnday

Reaction score
I do think that's the one that happens first.
It really wouldn’t bother me if Dak doesn’t sign this season. It would give the team one more season to see how much Linehan’s playcalling was hurting Dak, or it may show that Linehan was not the problem.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I can see zeke wearing the cardinals/jets/49s jersey ; and we having the number 1 draft pick .

oh boy , !

erod

Reaction score
I can see zeke wearing the cardinals/jets/49s jersey ; and we having the number 1 draft pick .

oh boy , !
Why would a building franchise trade a first-round pick for an expensive veteran running back?

They wouldn't. You'd be looking at the end of the first round at best.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Why would a building franchise trade a first-round pick for an expensive veteran running back?

I may be wrong but imho you’d be lucky to get a 2nd. The guy is one incident away from a lifetime ban.

If he didn’t have off-field issues you could get a 1st+ imho, but then again if he didn’t have the off-field issues, he might have a deal by now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No argument but that would not have happened without the owners playing their part.

I feel like you are trying to tell me this because you think I am unaware of this? That's not the case, I understand that Owners have taken advantage of players in the past but honestly, Jerry is really not one of those guys. He has been far too generous for far too long IMO. I have my issues with Jerry and I often don't agree with him but there is no part of me that will side with a player who is holding out on Jerry, especially if Jerry likes you. Jerry is very good to his guys, over the years. Of all the owners, Jerry is not that guy, to me. JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

So this is an interesting take erod. If you expand this out, you can ask why you would ever draft a back high at all, if this is the value that is placed on them from the league.

erod

Reaction score
So this is an interesting take erod. If you expand this out, you can ask why you would ever draft a back high at all, if this is the value that is placed on them from the league.
It made perfect sense here.

Zeke was drafted for Romo and that 2014 team that was on the cusp. Murray was gone, so a new bellcow was needed. It was ideal. That Dallas team was not your typical team drafting 4th overall. They were good and come off a season without their starting QB.

However, it doesn't make sense for a team like the Giants. You don't rebuild with a running back and no offensive line or QB in place.

davidariust24

Reaction score
They can get these deals done but someone has to have a descending contract. Which means less and less value each year. The first one is top heavy. Say 20 million then next year 18 mil and then 16 and so on. That's just an example, but if one or two players do this it could work. The problem is if they don't feel secure about their future they won't do it for the fear of being cut , traded or replaced. Trust would would have to come from the front office