Twitter: Stephen on signing our own players to long-term deals

Asklesko

Reaction score
I don't think that's what's occurring. No matter how we feel about this team.....Lawrence and Zeke are premiere talent and some of the best players in this league. They aren't being brought back just because they are our guys.

I dunno. They have shown a big phobia of going after free agents in the offseason. They spend all their moolahs on their own guys. If they are gonna be too expensive (lawrence) or too old to sign a huge contract (Zeke), let them walk.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Wait. A Jones family member is suggesting that cap space is not infinite? How far we have come from the days when they laughed at the prospect of there actually being a cap.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm starting to like a Zeke second contract less and less personally. I think Zeke's game is going to age very well and I could see him being effective all the way up till 30, but that's only if he takes care of his body. He's had slow starts all of his 3 NFL seasons because he basically tries to play his way into shape during the actual season - which tells me he's not taking workouts that seriously in the offseason.

Look at Darrelle Revis and Dez Bryant. When you don't take care of yourself as you age and your natural talent starts fading, the end can come very, very fast. I just don't trust Zeke right now to do the former.

cern

Reaction score
Only question mark among aforementioned is Dak. Can't imagine Stephen offering more than he's worth.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Signing your own is fine, if they've shown they can lead you somewhere and/or they are standouts at their position compared to the rest of the NFL.

If they're just the best option on your roster at the moment, then it's lazy/bad management.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Notice the four players mentioned........especially Dak
Bottom line.....doesn't look he's changed his view about signing other teams top/mid tier level free agents.

We will be the first team to blow 50 million in cap on it's own talent that has never won anything.

Self scouting is and always will be a problem with people that think like him in the front office.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Only question mark among aforementioned is Dak. Can't imagine Stephen offering more than he's worth.

I can. :muttley:

What has Stephen done to earn such trust?

cristglo

Reaction score
The key is drafting well if you draft well then there will be some of your own that you will have to let go because you have drafted well therefore you dont have to pay the big contract right? So if we should only have to give each player maybe one new contract if they are playing above average? Thats the only way it makes any sense IMO you cant give out big contracts to your own players all the time thats why you need to draft well so that you dont have to? You give out your big contracts ONLY to players who are playing ABOVE average. Thats how you manage the cap. Thats how the Patriots have stayed competitive putting their money in above avg players.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Being born into that family.

Indeed, that's how he got the job.

But the faith some people have him in seems to be nothing more than "he's not Jerry" even though he's only worked under Jerry his entire NFL career.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He should really stop mentioning Dak Prescott and maybe even Zeke. I don't like the idea of giving a RB a 2nd deal. Just use the 5th year option and franchise tag him once or twice.
It would be his 1st deal. He’s on a rookie contract now.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The key is drafting well if you draft well then there will be some of your own that you will have to let go because you have drafted well therefore you dont have to pay the big contract right? So if we should only have to give each player maybe one new contract if they are playing above average? Thats the only way it makes any sense IMO you cant give out big contracts to your own players all the time thats why you need to draft well so that you dont have to? You give out your big contracts ONLY to players who are playing ABOVE average. Thats how you manage the cap. Thats how the Patriots have stayed competitive putting their money in above avg players.
They like what they have. And they will continue to like what they have. That is a philosophy they live by. That is a problem when you don't know what you are looking at. This is one franchise that really could use a consulting firm to look at it objectively.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Notice the four players mentioned........especially Dak
Bottom line.....doesn't look he's changed his view about signing other teams top/mid tier level free agents.

This from the guy who can’t get beyond the divisional round for decades. Yawn.

John813

Reaction score
Surprised he didn't say Cooper in there.
New addition, but would think he would be in the long term plans(I hope) .

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How the heck is Stephen supposed to maintain the standard of excellence this franchise has set in the cap era if he doesn't keep the players who make it possible. You guys think 8-9 wins a year grow on trees. Just be glad we aren't the............Browns.