Twitter: Stephen on signing our own players to long-term deals

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surprised he didn't say Cooper in there.
New addition, but would think he would be in the long term plans(I hope) .

I think they're essentially obligated to sign Cooper to a contract extension. How does it look when you give up a 2019 first round draft pick and the player isn't on your roster the following year?

Unless everything absolutely implodes with him (and by extension Dak), I consider it a certainty that this team will sign Cooper to a big-money contract extension. As quickly as we got out of the highly-paid WR business, we get right back in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Drafting well" is only a piece of the puzzle in assembling a team. You cannot hit on enough players consistently enough or fast enough before you start losing players because you can't pay everyone or waiting for younger players to develop, if they develop. This team does not do a good job in finding or signing effective players in FA or in making trades for effective players. That is something the Pats have done very well through the years, identifying players that fit into a scheme and can fill a role on the team.

Check out who's brother has a hand in pro personnel...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Notice the four players mentioned........especially Dak
Bottom line.....doesn't look he's changed his view about signing other teams top/mid tier level free agents.

He can sell this, but teams like the Eagles and Rams aren't buying. One of them has a Super Bowl because of using both the draft and free agency and the other seems to be on its way.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jim Garrett is to be blamed for all of this.

And Jerry Jones most of all for listening to him, and any of them. Too much faith and trust out into people that he knows and is comfortable with, like Larry Lacewell. Once you're in Jerry's circle of friendship, it's hard to get kicked out, no matter how poorly you do your job.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I can't tell if he's just overly arrogant or extremely lazy. I realize they've overspent on guys and then have been ignored or stood up by recent free agents, but you don't abandon the policy, you get better at it.

Good front offices explore every aspect of player acquisition. Look at the Super Bowl teams the past several years, they are made up drafted players, traded for players, and yes, unrestricted free agents. "Building through the draft" and "signing your own" is Ground Hogs Day. By the time you fix one position, two others become needs. Once you have built a solid nucleus, it's contract extension time and you have to pick which guys you can't afford to keep.

If this is truly their policy, we're in for 2 more decades of mediocrity.

I really wish he would say something like "We've done a great job of drafting players so we won't need rely on unrestricted free agency, but we will aggressively explore every and any opportunity to get better.

Stop pretending that you can't get better by adding talented players from other teams.

visionary

Reaction score
He should really stop mentioning Dak Prescott and maybe even Zeke. I don't like the idea of giving a RB a 2nd deal. Just use the 5th year option and franchise tag him once or twice.

If Zeke is not on the team this team will not be "relevant " and that is all they want, to be talked about and relevant so they'll keep him

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should really stop mentioning Dak Prescott and maybe even Zeke. I don't like the idea of giving a RB a 2nd deal. Just use the 5th year option and franchise tag him once or twice.

Bad idea to let them go to if they are healthy and still at the top of their game.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
As quickly as we got out of the highly-paid WR business, we get right back in.
Jerrys obsession with shiny high priced diva WRs is probably the single biggest issue with this team. And it is a team with many issues. He was only able to last 7 games before folding like a cheap suit.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will be the first team to blow 50 million in cap on it's own talent that has never won anything.

Self scouting is and always will be a problem with people that think like him in the front office.

Self Evaluation of the coaching staff is a problem too. Alexander gone, but the main problem in Garrett still here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerrys obsession with shiny high priced diva WRs is probably the single biggest issue with this team. And it is a team with many issues. He was only able to last 7 games before folding like a cheap suit.

It's obviously killing him to have gotten rid of Dez as well. When you're hanging out partying in the box with the guy you "fired", you know it wasn't a decision based on how Jerry felt.

And given the fact that the season is half over and Bryant is still hanging around out there, I'd be the it still bothers Jerry.

If they have the sense of "urgency" that he's alluded to, I don't see why they wouldn't bring Bryant back. I know it's not a popular stance, and has a tiny chance of happening, but I can't help but to think they'd be a better passing game with Bryant out there over guys they currently employ like Thompson and Hurns.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Notice the four players mentioned........especially Dak
Bottom line.....doesn't look he's changed his view about signing other teams top/mid tier level free agents.

They seriously consider to resign DLaw ?

Well, pass me the bottle father.....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Self Evaluation of the coaching staff is a problem too. Alexander gone, but the main problem in Garrett still here.

:thumbup:

21833507644a5e18b7066745280b294c.gif

waving monkey

Reaction score
What about this year?

the leash extends to next year is my thinking. I'm trying to think like Jerry not what otta.
That statement Jerry made yesterday or the day before bout running out of time or not much time?
That is his drive IMO now. He has little time. Jerry doesn't have time for a new hire.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No mention of Jaylon Smith??

There's probably no way we can pay all of our stars after the 2019 season.

Dak
Zeke
Byron Jones
Jaylon Smith
Amari Cooper

Plus starters...
La'el Collins
Jeff Heath
Anthony Brown
Randy Gregory
Maliek Collins

I mean, dang.

Don't wait until 2020 to try and sign players you wanna keep. Starting next year or now, ID players you wanna keep and get their contracts done. The problem with this is Stephen has a habit of waiting to absolute last min getting serious about signing players.