Twitter: Stephen on signing our own players to long-term deals

blueblood70

Reaction score
theres no way the FO doesnt see Daks flaws and in the back of their mind they are discounting his next contract as a take it or leave it for bridge to another QB of the furture.. they would truly be clueless if they gave him a big Starting franchise QB money, not even Bortles type deal right now..let him play out his entire contract..no need to bid against your self, let him go shop his services id like to see him get an offer or two and set his worth..trust me wont be big line for starters postion at huge contract..17-19 per maybe?

if the Cowboys back the dump truck up and take the risk we are in bigger trouble than I thought..they have to remove them selves from 2016 and take the 3 years after and use that as afactor..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theres no way the FO doesnt see Daks flaws and in the back of their mind they are discounting his next contract as a take it or leave it for bridge to another QB of the furture.. they would truly be clueless if they gave him a big Starting franchise QB money, not even Bortles type deal right now..let him play out his entire contract..no need to bid against your self, let him go shop his services id like to see him get an offer or two and set his worth..trust me wont be big line for starters postion at huge contract..17-19 per maybe?

if the Cowboys back the dump truck up and take the risk we are in bigger trouble than I thought..they have to remove them selves from 2016 and take the 3 years after and use that as afactor..
bb, you are giving this FO too much credit, just take a look at their QB’s between Aikman and Romo.

birdwells1

Reaction score
They just tried to sign Sammy Watkins and traded for Cooper. That doesn't strike me as someone who is afraid to get vets.
Before the trade for Cooper name the last big free agent that they signed

blueblood70

Reaction score
bb, you are giving this FO too much credit, just take a look at their QB’s between Aikman and Romo.
from memory they didnt give any of those "other" QBs a huge contract especially not on todays 25mil plus level..its my point they simply cant hand Dak the keys and roll the dice, im sure they see it, more now then last season.. I believe its why they reached a bit high for Cooper to shut him up with excuses he doesnt have a #1 type target..this is a DAK test more then anything..really might not be a QB to take Daks place for 19 that why i say let him play it out Hopefully with a new OC and new HC if possible and make an offense to use Dak properly every snap every game.. so 19 will be Daks final exam if he cant use Cooper, a season better Swaim, Gallup, and others and now a Oline coach change etc plus new staff , he wont get that big shiny contract..now 2020 Draft we go after a big time QB let Dak stay if we can and groom the new guy a bit ie Tyrod to Baker just here long enough then the backup for true bridge..they might need to be creative with a short extension to get this done..Qbs dont grow on Trees , as well as some of the rookies have looked this season, what are heir records now ? cant just toss Dak unless a Vet backup could be used but those are hard to find as well..big decision for sure..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dunno. They have shown a big phobia of going after free agents in the offseason. They spend all their moolahs on their own guys. If they are gonna be too expensive (lawrence) or too old to sign a huge contract (Zeke), let them walk.
:facepalm: I’m continually surprised about the ignorance of our fans. I shouldn’t be. It’s evident here every day. But the absolute ignorance just never ceases to amaze.

conner01

Reaction score
He should really stop mentioning Dak Prescott and maybe even Zeke. I don't like the idea of giving a RB a 2nd deal. Just use the 5th year option and franchise tag him once or twice.
I agree though I wouldn’t say that to the media if I’m in his shoes
In the end I don’t think Zeke gets a long term deal
Dak hasn’t proven at this point he deserves one but again no reason to tell that to the media
Dlaw and Jones fo need to get done

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
If he plays here 5 years and gets 8000, they’ll resign him to chase Emmitts record. They know they’ll sell seats

eromeopolk

Reaction score
He should really stop mentioning Dak Prescott and maybe even Zeke. I don't like the idea of giving a RB a 2nd deal. Just use the 5th year option and franchise tag him once or twice.
Don't worry. He did not do that with Demarco Murray. They decided that 4-12 was better than a possible Super Bowl run after going 12-4 with Murray. Demarco Murray left a lot of meat on the bone that Thomas Randle could not chew. They let Murray go. So what you think they will do with Zeke?

The Natural

Reaction score
More and more I like the idea of parting ways with our own guys. Use them up and cut 'em loose.
I like the idea of doing what it takes to win. Doesnt seem like smart-dumb Stephen has cracked that code yet.