Twitter: Stephen QB/Cap - Comments

glimmerman

Reaction score
Much more
That’s the delima
He’s never gonna be cheaper than now. But once you sign him he has to be the answer for probably atleast 4 years
This is a huge decision. Make a mistake and it costs you. Be too cautious and that can cost you
If he is the answer for 4 years then barring injury he would be here till his career is over.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Dak a top 5 QB? Top 10? I think he's probably in the 8-12 range. I wonder what the contract that actually reflects that would look like.

I don't have the desire to do it, but you could take every QB's salary, rookies and over-paid's alike. Add them all up and divide by 32. Then, if you think Dak is #10 on the list, multiply the number by 23. This may sound
dumb, but it is a way to determine what every spot should get, based on the averages.

BigD49

Reaction score
Can’t be mad at Dakota for trying to maximize his earnings.
Interesting thing is he might be able to maximize his earnings by taking less salary in Dallas than he might get elsewhere and letting the mountain of endorsement $$$ that comes with being the QB of America's team bridge any gap. Should be a legitimate negotiating tactic for the Cowboys

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I don't have the desire to do it, but you could take every QB's salary, rookies and over-paid's alike. Add them all up and divide by 32. Then, if you think Dak is #10 on the list, multiply the number by 22. This may sound
dumb, but it is a way to determine what every spot should get, based on the averages.

I'm not Matt Damon from good will hunting so I'm not sure what that would be. But if that gives the average I say it's ok with me. I understand that if you think he's a top ten player he will probably get paid like he's more 5 or 6 then when the next 3-4 years comes about he's about where he needs to be on the scale.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dak’s agent would respond, if you don’t want to pay my client, another team will. Isn’t free agency great!

And with Wilson’s new deal, the franchise tag will be close to $30 million next year.

So you paying Dak or letting him walk?
I let him walk.

I go on the open market and find a QB who has won.

I like all the romance about DAK and him wanting to be a Cowboy.

And I understand about his W-L record and 4th Qt wins.

But when you look at it..

the majority of the wins have been against .500 teams..his W-L against teams over .600 ain't that good.

and the 4th Qt comebacks have been primarily because DAK typically struggles early in games and we fall behind.

He does not dominate games as a QB like Rodgers or Brees or Brady or Eli in his prime.

So until he shows the traits of the greats..you do not pay him as a great.

I want him to succeed..but I have seen him lose to good teams and not be the deciding factor.

Zeke much too often has to carry the team..not DAK.

So we shall see but to me..prove it then pay me.

He has not provided it, yet.

But I hope.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I let him walk.

I go on the open market and find a QB who has won.

I like all the romance about DAK and him wanting to be a Cowboy.

And I understand about his W-L record and 4th Qt wins.

But when you look at it..

the majority of the wins have been against .500 teams..his W-L against teams over .600 ain't that good.

and the 4th Qt comebacks have been primarily because DAK typically struggles early in games and we fall behind.

He does not dominate games as a QB like Rodgers or Brees or Brady or Eli in his prime.

So until he shows the traits of the greats..you do not pay him as a great.

I want him to succeed..but I have seen him lose to good teams and not be the deciding factor.

Zeke much too often has to carry the team..not DAK.

So we shall see but to me..prove it then pay me.

He has not provided it, yet.

But I hope.

LLLOOLLL, on that 1st sentence. Loved that Zeke phrase alot of people will not like that though.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
LLLOOLLL, on that 1st sentence.
Why?

If you are going to pay the money..

why not expect results to prove you have earned it?

When you jack the cap out of shape to sign him..

licks and promises are hardly a good exchange.

They did that already with Romo.

It did not work.

Remember?

We were saddled with Tony for 10 years while we twiddled our thumbs wishing.

I do not want to do that again.

:rolleyes:

conner01

Reaction score
If he is the answer for 4 years then barring injury he would be here till his career is over.
That’s true but once you sign him he is yours for atleast 4
I don’t think Dak is elite but I do think we can win with him. That said I don’t want a 30 mil QB who is not elite, but the alternative is starting over at QB
It’s a very tough decision
But it’s one I think now is the time to decide. I expect the cap to go up with new CBA so the salaries will go up
If they think he is the answer I’d do it now if I could
The way QB salaries are soaring you have to consider drafting a guy and keeping 4-5 yrs and tanking for a year and get another one

conner01

Reaction score
Why?

It did not work.

Remember?

Very few QB who have won a SB hit the market and even that doesn’t mean he wins another

glimmerman

Reaction score
That’s true but once you sign him he is yours for atleast 4
I don’t think Dak is elite but I do think we can win with him. That said I don’t want a 30 mil QB who is not elite, but the alternative is starting over at QB
It’s a very tough decision
But it’s one I think now is the time to decide. I expect the cap to go up with new CBA so the salaries will go up
If they think he is the answer I’d do it now if I could
The way QB salaries are soaring you have to consider drafting a guy and keeping 4-5 yrs and tanking for a year and get another one
We won’t know if he elite for a few more years. Not sure what we should use as a sample size to determine that. And nothing stopping us from looking for a gem. Romo was undrafted and brady wasn’t a first rounder. They are out there.

conner01

Reaction score
We won’t know if he elite for a few more years. Not sure what we should use as a sample size to determine that. And nothing stopping us from looking for a gem. Romo was undrafted and brady wasn’t a first rounder. They are out there.
They happen but they are rare
I’m torn
Part of me says we can win with Dak so sign him
Part of me says we can win but can’t win it all
I’m kinda glad it’s not my decision to make because it’s a huge one

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
HAHAHA...all of the Dak haters are already having an epic meltdown on the forum!

:muttley:

Wait until that $28 - $30 million / season new contract extension finally gets agreed upon...

This place is going to light up! :omg::flagwave::laugh:

:popcorn:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Why?

It did not work.

Remember?

I agree with you my man whole heartedly.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Is this code for be stupid, Prescott?

The majority of QBs don't take team friendly deals unless they are like Brady.
No it’s more like stupid fans. Dak and the Cowboys will agree on a contract that is good for both sides. Just like DLaw’s contract.

blueblood70

Reaction score
HAHAHA...all of the Dak haters are already having an epic meltdown on the forum!

:muttley:

Wait until that $28 - $30 million / season new contract extension finally gets agreed upon...

This place is going to light up! :omg::flagwave::laugh:

:popcorn:
we wont be happy true but we cant control contracts and really watching actual football being played is what fans should truly be worried about, SM and the full exposure on financials has kind of ruined the fun as fan. I wont like they over pay for Dak but ill still be rooting hard all season for them to succeed..it is what it is but he snot worth penny more then 25 and that already way high at this point..at least SJ is saying the right things at this point, thats good sign..offer him 20 say if you win a NFCCG and get to sb 2.5 million bonus, win the SB 2.5 theres your 25 :) you want big money truly earn it with bonus clauses, not the show up for work outs, or game play time, or other ridiculous things, simply the further we go the more you make....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Very few QB who have won a SB hit the market and even that doesn’t mean he wins another
True.

But depending on who that QB is..I do.

Back when Romo was first emerging..

Drew Brees was supposedly washed up with the Chargers with a bad shoulder.

We could have pursued him but our owner preferred to stay with Tony.

We would have been very different with Brees.

Payton Manning also had a bad shoulder at Baltimore.

He left and went to Denver and won 2 titles.

While he QB he was replaced by 6 years later has won little.

Frankly, with this team right now I would rather have Eli Manning than DAK.

I would take Eli and his $23 mil contract..

let DAK and his projected $30 mil deal go..

and take my chances to win now.

If NY drafts a QB and suddenly Eli is released..

I think hard and long about it.

:grin:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
we wont be happy true but we cant control contracts and really watching actual football being played is what fans should truly be worried about, SM and the full exposure on financials has kind of ruined the fun as fan. I wont like they over pay for Dak but ill still be rooting hard all season for them to succeed..it is what it is but he snot worth penny more then 25 and that already way high at this point..at least SJ is saying the right things at this point, thats good sign..offer him 20 say if you win a NFCCG and get to sb 2.5 million bonus, win the SB 2.5 theres your 25 :) you want big money truly earn it with bonus clauses, not the show up for work outs, or game play time, or other ridiculous things, simply the further we go the more you make....
Where was this talk during the 10+ starting seasons of Romo and his 2 huge at-the-time franchise record costly extensions?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
stop at 25 for sure..

LLLOOLLL, agree my man. But you will hear but the going rate, who cares that the vikes overpaid because they thought they were a QB away. We dont have to be stupid like them and put themselves in cap hell. Just because one person jumps off the Empire State building who will follow that lead?

blueblood70

Reaction score
True.

But depending on who that QB is..I do.

Back when Romo was first emerging..

Drew Brees was supposedly washed up with the Chargers with a bad shoulder.

We could have pursued him but our owner preferred to stay with Tony.

We would have been very different with Brees.

Payton Manning also had a bad shoulder at Baltimore.

He left and went to Denver and won 2 titles.

While he QB he was replaced by 6 years later has won little.

Frankly, with this team right now I would rather have Eli Manning than DAK.

I would take Eli and his $23 mil contract..

let DAK and his projected $30 mil deal go..

and take my chances to win now.

If NY drafts a QB and suddenly Eli is released..

I think hard and long about it.

:grin:
you are banned:facepalm: