Twitter: Stephen QB/Cap - Comments

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Would you rather pay him 30 million than 20 million? Are you a fan of the player or the team?
I would rather he accepts no more than $25 mil/season in order to better help the team, but it's likely going to be a few million/season higher. I'm a fan of the team over any player, tbh. Were you a fan of the player or the team during the 2 at-the-time franchise record extensions for Romo during his 10+ starting years?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I let him walk.

I go on the open market and find a QB who has won.

I like all the romance about DAK and him wanting to be a Cowboy.

And I understand about his W-L record and 4th Qt wins.

But when you look at it..

the majority of the wins have been against .500 teams..his W-L against teams over .600 ain't that good.

and the 4th Qt comebacks have been primarily because DAK typically struggles early in games and we fall behind.

He does not dominate games as a QB like Rodgers or Brees or Brady or Eli in his prime.

So until he shows the traits of the greats..you do not pay him as a great.

I want him to succeed..but I have seen him lose to good teams and not be the deciding factor.

Zeke much too often has to carry the team..not DAK.

So we shall see but to me..prove it then pay me.

He has not provided it, yet.

But I hope.

The only winning QBs on the open market are those past their prime and are no longer suitable starters. Even Cousins doesn't have a winning record, but it is extremely rare for a starting caliber QB to hit the open market.

If they decide to let Dak walk, then the team strategy changes quite a bit. It's not like there is an abundance of starting caliber QBs in the league, teams aren't trading their starters unless they are questionable to begin with and aren't many riding the bench to trade for. There's always the draft, but that usually means positioning yourself to get a high pick( that means losing and/or trading away assets). It's as rare as hensteeth, that a rookie QB can lead a team to contention their 1st year and still pretty rare in year 2, so realistically it would be the 2022 season to be back in contention, assuming you hit on said QB and everything else works out just right.

I'm not arguing for or against Dak, just that the process of replacing a QB isn't like replacing any other position.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
True.

But depending on who that QB is..I do.

Back when Romo was first emerging..

Drew Brees was supposedly washed up with the Chargers with a bad shoulder.

We could have pursued him but our owner preferred to stay with Tony.

We would have been very different with Brees.

Payton Manning also had a bad shoulder at Baltimore.

He left and went to Denver and won 2 titles.

While he QB he was replaced by 6 years later has won little.

Frankly, with this team right now I would rather have Eli Manning than DAK.

I would take Eli and his $23 mil contract..

let DAK and his projected $30 mil deal go..

and take my chances to win now.

If NY drafts a QB and suddenly Eli is released..

I think hard and long about it.

:grin:

Hindsight is always 20/20. Brees was coming off major surgery and his performance up that point had been up and down, it's easy to look now and say yeah we should have gone after him, so can every other team. Peyton never played for Baltimore and only won 1 SB with Denver. The one he did win with them, was in spite of him not because of him. Manning was so bad that year, he was benched during the season for Osweiler. The Denver defense won that title, Manning was just a passenger on that train. Eli? Good lord, you have just crossed into Crazy Town! :facepalm:

conner01

Reaction score
True.

But depending on who that QB is..I do.

Back when Romo was first emerging..

Drew Brees was supposedly washed up with the Chargers with a bad shoulder.

We could have pursued him but our owner preferred to stay with Tony.

We would have been very different with Brees.

Payton Manning also had a bad shoulder at Baltimore.

He left and went to Denver and won 2 titles.

While he QB he was replaced by 6 years later has won little.

Frankly, with this team right now I would rather have Eli Manning than DAK.

I would take Eli and his $23 mil contract..

let DAK and his projected $30 mil deal go..

and take my chances to win now.

If NY drafts a QB and suddenly Eli is released..

I think hard and long about it.

:grin:
Eli is terrible
I don’t want to pay any QB 30 mil and hopefully we can get Dak for less
Your options are really Dak or let him play out and draft one
That’s also a gamble and costs a ton of picks to get up high enough to get one but they are cheaper for a few years

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The only winning QBs on the open market are those past their prime and are no longer suitable starters. Even Cousins doesn't have a winning record, but it is extremely rare for a starting caliber QB to hit the open market.

If they decide to let Dak walk, then the team strategy changes quite a bit. It's not like there is an abundance of starting caliber QBs in the league, teams aren't trading their starters unless they are questionable to begin with and aren't many riding the bench to trade for. There's always the draft, but that usually means positioning yourself to get a high pick( that means losing and/or trading away assets). It's as rare as hensteeth, that a rookie QB can lead a team to contention their 1st year and still pretty rare in year 2, so realistically it would be the 2022 season to be back in contention, assuming you hit on said QB and everything else works out just right.

I'm not arguing for or against Dak, just that the process of replacing a QB isn't like replacing any other position.
I agree.

Nothing would be easy.

But we just went thru this where we went Romo friendly.

That made it impossibly hard.

A huge deal for Dak will do the same thing IMO.

Once we sign these guys..

there is another 20+ players to be signed for 2020.

Where does the money come from?

erod

Reaction score
This is the worst advice ever.

Dak is needs security due to his mobility. He HAS to make play with his legs in order to be a winning QB.

He should take the money now.
Injury isn't a big risk for quarterbacks. They heal. They aren't 4.3 guys, and they don't tackle or backpedal. Risk is very low.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Injury isn't a big risk for quarterbacks. They heal. They aren't 4.3 guys, and they don't tackle or backpedal. Risk is very low.
Which is exactly why Philly should give Wentz 35/year!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Eli is terrible
I don’t want to pay any QB 30 mil and hopefully we can get Dak for less
Your options are really Dak or let him play out and draft one
That’s also a gamble and costs a ton of picks to get up high enough to get one but they are cheaper for a few years
Pretty much.

I hope it all works out and I am not going to get all jacked up like many did on Tank and his contract.

I included.

But I would rather start over with a rookie again than take another flyer on a mega-deal on a QB that has not actually won anything important before paying him..

Then spend the next 5 years trying to justify the move.

Win for me, baby.

Then backup the Brink's truck.

As for a guy like Eli..

whatever.

I do not love him..

but he has done it and with a good team could do it again IMO.

I am just hungry to win.

:rolleyes:

lostar2009

Reaction score
Dak might get a 3-4 year deal for 20-25M with a lot of gurantees. After that he might jump up to 30-35M. QBs are playing longer these days.

conner01

Reaction score
Dak might get a 3-4 year deal for 20-25M with a lot of gurantees. After that he might jump up to 30-35M. QBs are playing longer these days.
If you could structure a deal around 100 mil in first 4 years Then jump up that would great

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I say a new contract with a base of around $24 million / season, with the incentives of earning another $3 mil / season in performance levels sounds fair.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Interesting thing is he might be able to maximize his earnings by taking less salary in Dallas than he might get elsewhere and letting the mountain of endorsement $$$ that comes with being the QB of America's team bridge any gap. Should be a legitimate negotiating tactic for the Cowboys

Maybe but I wouldn’t count on him doing that nor would I expect him to and I hope he doesn’t

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I agree.

Nothing would be easy.

But we just went thru this where we went Romo friendly.

That made it impossibly hard.

A huge deal for Dak will do the same thing IMO.

Once we sign these guys..

there is another 20+ players to be signed for 2020.

Where does the money come from?

Every team goes through the same thing when they sign a QB coming off rookie deals, they have to make tough decisions with the rest of their roster. No team can sign everyone they want, so you have to identify the most important pieces, deal others and have a plan for replacements. Washington chose not to work a deal with Cousins. He may or may not have been their answer long term, but it's going to hurt a lot in the short term and maybe longer.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Pretty much.

I hope it all works out and I am not going to get all jacked up like many did on Tank and his contract.

I included.

But I would rather start over with a rookie again than take another flyer on a mega-deal on a QB that has not actually won anything important before paying him..

Then spend the next 5 years trying to justify the move.

Win for me, baby.

Then backup the Brink's truck.

As for a guy like Eli..

whatever.

I do not love him..

but he has done it and with a good team could do it again IMO.

I am just hungry to win.

:rolleyes:
If you're just hungry to win the QB lottery isn't the way to do it. There's no guarantee that QB will be any better or work out at all and by the time you do have enough evidence, it's been a few additional seasons tacked on to seasons you tanked to get a high pick. How long did it take for the Browns to finally find Mayfield( and the jury is still out on how his career goes), or the Chiefs to find Mahomes, who was their last great QB, Smith, Cassell, Green, Montana? How about Miami, how long have they been looking? Denver is still trying to replace Elway, they had Manning a couple years and of course Cutler.....coff coff. Winston and Mariotta were the consensus #1 and #2 picks in the draft not long ago, how are they or their teams doing?

I'm not saying you don't try to upgrade, but there is a huge gamble and investment in time and capital involved and there are other teams that will have better draft position and capital to make moves unless we make some serious choices. Those choices go beyond letting Dak walk, it means liquidating some resources for draft capital or/and making other long range decisions. If it's a miss or not a major upgrade, the team is setback even further.

lostar2009

Reaction score
If you could structure a deal around 100 mil in first 4 years Then jump up that would great

I think this team will move away from long term deals +4 years. Let's just pay them for their best years. After that they will be evaluated. Tying Dak or any other player up long term may hurt the team in the long run.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Who cares if we overpay Dak by 8m

That is one TCrawford or RQuinn

Are you really saying you want one of those guys over a Franchise QB? Child Please

Plus we are 20m under the cap this year and 12m last yea and 90m next year..... we aren't even spending the cap space we have and that is without getting creative

If we pay Dak 25m that means we can always restructure him and create 15-20m in cap space to sign anyone

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Is this code for be stupid, Prescott?

The majority of QBs don't take team friendly deals unless they are like Brady.
its code for... You are the QB of the most visible sports team in the world, and as a result of that, you get exposure and endorsements that you would never see if you played somewhere else..... so yeah, DONT be stupid and hold us hostage, Dak.