Twitter: Stephen QB/Cap - Comments

conner01

Reaction score
I think this team will move away from long term deals +4 years. Let's just pay them for their best years. After that they will be evaluated. Tying Dak or any other player up long term may hurt the team in the long run.
I don’t mind long term contracts as long as if you have a 3-4 yr out if it’s not working out
Dak May become a very good QB, he may not
You are likely to be on the hook 4 yrs but if you then have an out you have him locked up if he does or can walk if he doesn’t
What I don’t like is a deal like romo’s that you paid threw the nose to get away from
I like the option if it’s working to stay with them if not to walk away

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
its code for... You are the QB of the most visible sports team in the world, and as a result of that, you get exposure and endorsements that you would never see if you played somewhere else..... so yeah, DONT be stupid and hold us hostage, Dak.
Perhaps. But Romo was not exactly dripping in endorsements, was he?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Perhaps. But Romo was not exactly dripping in endorsements, was he?
really? He did the nfl sunday ticket commercials, he is now doing sketchers, he walked into broadcasting because he was a Cowboys qb, im sure he did more, I just dont pay close attention.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Just don't be stupid Stephen.

Learn from Romo's contract when you paid him that money before he ever won anything.

If Dak isn't winning championships making below a million it's going to be incredibly difficult if he's making 30 mill.

Wow, I'm surprised by this coming from you. I thought you were better than a statement like that.

Romo deserved every nickel of that contract. He did his job, year in and year out as evidenced by the offensive vs defensive rankings of his teams. No, he wasn't Manning or Rodgers or Brady, but he was good enough.

You're going to be continually disappointed if all you judge QB's by is Championships in the ultimate team game. Very few guys can carry teams on their backs to Super Bowls but some ride the backs of their teams (Rypien, Eli, Flacco, etc). Tony had to be perfect, he was never going to get bailed out like Brady with 3 INT's in three AFC Championship games or Roethlisberger winning a Super Bowl with a 26 QB rating.

I'll chalk it up to a misstatement - don't worry, we all do it once in awhile.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
A team game. I know brady is a unique situation and has a better hc. But he took less so he could have other quality around him to help.

Obviously Dak isn’t brady, Lol. Not comparing the 2, but wondering if Dak would think about taking a little less so we could sign Cooper easier.

Of course it really only works when the whole team stays cap friendly. A qb signs for 5 mil a year less so it can help sign other players but then another player gobbles it up on his contract. Lol.
Money has never been an issue for Brady because his wife has probably made more than he has. They’ll never have money issues.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Jones should let Dak know we will pay you fair amount but you will be the face of and play the most important position for the most valuable franchise in all of sports. If you win, endorsements will come and so will more money. After football you will probably get a media gig(they love ex cowboys who are winners). We can put players around you to help but we can’t if you take more money than we think you are worth. Now what are going to do?

BigD49

Reaction score
Maybe but I wouldn’t count on him doing that nor would I expect him to and I hope he doesn’t
Not sure I understand...you would prefer Dak not take less salary?

My point is just that the size of his pie increases by being here, but the pie is split more towards endorsement dollars versus salary dollars. Both sides benefit because he likely earns more money than he would elsewhere, and we don't have to pay the same salary premium that a loser organization like Buffalo would to retain him. If it were me as GM, I'd try to estimate whatever the gap would be in endorsement dollars by him going elsewhere (obviously challenging to do with a significant # of variables that we are not privy to) and net that from whatever you estimate his 'open market' price would be and that would be my opening bid.

I think it would be foolish for a player an agent to ignore the endorsement / post-career earning potential that comes from being a lifetime Cowboy after seeing how easily / quickly prominent players have translated their cowboys stardom into significant $$$. CBS / MNF gigs don't happen for Romo and Witten if they are lifetime Cardinals.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand why Romo has to be brought into everything. Yes, his final contract was large for the time and he got hurt a lot towards the end of his career and couldn't finish, leaving lots of dead cap money. But, there were years where he did carry this team with a terrible OL and he was beat to death almost every game. I guess we have a lot of new fans who weren't around during those years! For gosh sake, let's leave the Romo era and concentrate on the current market.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Learn from Romo's contract when you paid him that money before he ever won anything.

If Dak isn't winning championships making below a million it's going to be incredibly difficult if he's making 30 mill.
Let White take over.....

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Romo 78-49 regular season.

QB wasn’t the problem .

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If I was Dak, I would laugh at him after he just gave Lawrence 21 million- same argument there. Stephen loses this argument!
DLaw technically took a deal..... he was due 50m the next 2 year on the cap and he took 48m and a deal that goes down for 3 years after that

Dak could take a 5/125m deal and that would be team friendly....... it would be a 6/127m when you add 2019 and that would make the APY 21m but his agent could sell it as 25m

Proof

Reaction score
Just saw on MSN the next QB's in line after Wilson deal they have Dak in around $24M which is more in line and would be around 9th, we cant help that the Vikes got taken to the cleaners and over paid when they thought they needed a QB to get them to the SB. As my friend said his mom use to say when growing up " now they went from sugar to s---.

Yeah. I really hate the narrative that mistakes should become the rule. It’s ridiculous