Twitter: Stephen thinks Taco will be fine

SnakeBite

Reaction score
Taco will probably not pan out he's missed the ship that carries an abundance of success

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wanted Watt (like most) but rationalized the Cowboys thought process thinking they were taking a player that had the best chance of becoming a complete starting-caliber 43 DE.
The Eagles took the guy I wanted. I did think Taco would have went higher though. I thought he was a mid first, so there was value in my eyes.

For who I wanted in the lead up. It was Watt, but I was concerned with his injury history and wheather he can play as a down lineman. Taco to me seemed the better pick.

Taco is NOT going to get his job back over Gregory. Gregory is a much more talented rusher. He is a guy who has top 10 talent and is starting to put it together. Taco however has alot to offer if he can get dialed back in and improve as a rusher ( early he looked like he had made progression).

Taco has the ability to line up in mutliple gaps on both sides of the line. Where he doesnt have the talent to beat out a dialed in Gregory, he has the ability to allow us to move both Lawrence and Gregory from gap to gap. He has the ability to line up tight in a 6 gap and allow Lawrence or Gregory to go wide in a 9 without having the DL spread out. Lawrence is practically unblockable in a 9 gap on the strong side.

To me thats Taco's real value to this team. Not just the matchups, but giving Lawrence and Gregory downs off, while still being able to put up a strong pass rush. However they arent gonna use a 3 DE rotation if another DE isnt earning the playing time. Taco also has to worry about Dorance Armstrong, knocking him down the depth chart as well

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smoke screen. Why tell teams we are wanting to move him and drive down the price?
His tape isnt bad, he has just been outplayed. I think we could get a useful player for him considering the need for DE's across the NFL. I think we would get better value in a player for player than for picks. Teams are usually stingy with draft picks in the offseason. A 4th would probably be the most we would get

Manster68

Reaction score
What is funny here is for all the negativity in the direction of Taco, one big play or game can change everything for the young man.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting coz Stephen doesn't seem concern. Sounds like it may be a Martinelli /Taco. Read a tweet earlier this week where Martinelli didn't wanna talk about him. Said he'd rather answer questions about his 2 DTs and Taco.

Either way, I'm confident it's gets worked out. No way in hell we're ready to give up on this kid....too much invested.

Well, that means something. Considering all the personnel success Stephen has overseen over the years.

Hey, what does your Mom have to say about it? What's her gut feeling?

cern

Reaction score
Seems taco got the memo. Ball's in his court now.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Interesting coz Stephen doesn't seem concern. Sounds like it may be a Martinelli /Taco. Read a tweet earlier this week where Martinelli didn't wanna talk about him. Said he'd rather answer questions about his 2 DTs and Taco.

Either way, I'm confident it's gets worked out. No way in hell we're ready to give up on this kid....too much invested.

I'm glad that Rod makes people earn their playing time.

Kaiser

Reaction score
We have rarely seen that Player X is in the coaches doghouse during the Garrett era and definitely didn't see it during the Wade Phillips era; however, when Parcells and Jimmy were here we saw it often.

Jimmy didn't have a Dog House, he had Dog Airbnb. It was part of his style, but he also had tons more talent to work with. They aren't afraid of benching Taco because Gregory is playing better than he is, Jimmy had that luxury at most positions.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Taco is a base end in a 4-3 (left only). He doesn’t have the quickness or the feet to be effective on the right (week) side like other good pass rushers. Was a “reach” pick from the start and will never start over D-Law. Decent rotational player but that’s it. Charles Harris was the target and was a better fit for the weak side but Miami picked him ahead of us. Same thing with Takk Mickinnley going to Atlanta. Harris has been plagued with injuries. Taco was the only end left. We tried to make him fit but the experience is failing fast.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The Eagles took the guy I wanted. I did think Taco would have went higher though. I thought he was a mid first, so there was value in my eyes.

For who I wanted in the lead up. It was Watt, but I was concerned with his injury history and wheather he can play as a down lineman. Taco to me seemed the better pick.

Taco is NOT going to get his job back over Gregory. Gregory is a much more talented rusher. He is a guy who has top 10 talent and is starting to put it together. Taco however has alot to offer if he can get dialed back in and improve as a rusher ( early he looked like he had made progression).

Taco has the ability to line up in mutliple gaps on both sides of the line. Where he doesnt have the talent to beat out a dialed in Gregory, he has the ability to allow us to move both Lawrence and Gregory from gap to gap. He has the ability to line up tight in a 6 gap and allow Lawrence or Gregory to go wide in a 9 without having the DL spread out. Lawrence is practically unblockable in a 9 gap on the strong side.

To me thats Taco's real value to this team. Not just the matchups, but giving Lawrence and Gregory downs off, while still being able to put up a strong pass rush. However they arent gonna use a 3 DE rotation if another DE isnt earning the playing time. Taco also has to worry about Dorance Armstrong, knocking him down the depth chart as well

Yep.

I wanted Watt and Tak McKinley as a consolation. In my eyes, there was value in taking a pass rusher like those two as they could be rotated in on obvious passing downs to bring pressure while developing as complete players.

After we went with Taco it seemed clear to me we wanted a guy that had the physical frame and make up to become a full time 43 DE (Taco’s test metrics are very similar to Joey Bosa’s).

With all that said, I agree that Taco may not be the sole answer but part of the solution. I don’t know if he has the right approach/mentality to fill that role though as he may think he’s just a fresh start away (new team) from being a starter in this league.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Taco is a base end in a 4-3 (left only). He doesn’t have the quickness or the feet to be effective on the right (week) side like other good pass rushers. Was a “reach” pick from the start and will never start over D-Law. Decent rotational player but that’s it. Charles Harris was the target and was a better fit for the weak side but Miami picked him ahead of us. Same thing with Takk Mickinnley going to Atlanta. Harris has been plagued with injuries. Taco was the only end left. We tried to make him fit but the experience is failing fast.

Harris has been absolute trash in Miami, which I predicted. He was waaay overhyped coming out of Mizzou for whatever reason. I was happy we didn’t take him.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I remember reading a story last year about Charles Haley questioning Taco’s love of football.

*EDIT (found the article)

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ons-lack-of-football-knowledge-dallas-cowboys

Haley questions Taco’s knowledge of the game and whether he actually enjoyed the game or was just good at it.
Taco doesn’t seem to have the intensity he needs to be a consistently good DE. If Taco had Tanks motor he could be as productive a player.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yep. They blew that pic like the space shuttle and they know it. Take a kid who has a motor like his older star brother or some lazy primadonna? Guess which one we got.
Agree completely. At DE you have to “want it”. There was no comparison to Watt and Taco in regards to intensity and effort!! He truly is a “soft” taco. I wanted McKinley or Watt at the time.

Reactions: BAT

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No argument Counselor.
Taco still has the opportunity to right the ship.

Certainly but his attitude pretty much sucks. He's an immature entitled kid.

This is the same moron who openly ripped his own team for releasing Dez Bryant.

Reactions: BAT

Kaiser

Reaction score
Stephen also thought Tavon Austin was going to get 20 touches a game. LMAO.

He averaged 17.5 in 6 games, which includes the trainwreck opener (10 snaps) and the game where he was injured in left early. Its 21 snaps per game if you include Special Teams.