Steve Miller Band or Don Mclean?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Steve Miller band greatest hits album is off the charts in my book.

I think Don Mclean's American pie is one of the greatest sing along songs ever.

Which of these artists would you consider to have made a bigger impact on music?

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dont know about the biggest impact but I would take Steve Miller Band to listen to any day of the week. Love the steve miller band

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Tough call, if i had to pick one it would be Don McLean. Steve Miller is one of the artists that{inexplicably}has become a staple of classic rock radio.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Which of these artists would you consider to have made a bigger impact on music?
All the above.

cowboyec

Reaction score
love you,sarek.
your the man.
too answer the question...steve miller band.

Last edited:

pete026

Reaction score
Besides having to listen to the endless radio play time of American Pie as a kid, never really listened to much of Don McLean so can't really comment on him.

I listen to a lot of Steve Miller Band because it has a nice rhythm and a somewhat unique sound. Easy listening, driving music, if that makes any sense.

The music is immediately recognizable but if you listen to the less "popular" songs, decent variety (rock and roll, country/blues, even early psychedelic though I haven't really explored it).

As to some comments:
Don't listen to the radio now but it does surprise me that it would see a lot of playtime.

As far as Steve Miller's guitar; funny but I guess I never even thought about him as a guitar player until mentioned here??? Thought about him more as a songwriter, kind of like someone might consider a folk songwriter's guitar playing. They play guitar but you don't really focus on the technical aspect of their playing, just the rhythm. Interesting takes by all here. This is what makes music interesting for me.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
American Pie is more powerful than anything Steve Miller put out, and that is not a slight of Steve Miller. I love his stuff and If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Steve Miller.

Years ago a buddy bartended at a local dive. Every once in awhile things would start to escalate from 'rowdy fun' to 'things could get ugly'. My buddy would play American Pie on the jukebox and you could stand back and watch the crowd soften and mellow out. It was something to see.

Big_D

Reaction score
Les Paul was Steve Miller’s Godfather! A little interesting trivia!

RaZon

Reaction score
One of the great head phone tunes we have. Sorry Don

jsb357

Reaction score
American Pie is more powerful than anything Steve Miller put out, and that is not a slight of Steve Miller. I love his stuff and If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Steve Miller.

:hammer:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score

The Steve Miller Band is pretty much the definition of middle-of-the-road rock 'n' roll, done really well. There's nothing at all wrong with that! But I don't see the "big impact on music," in the sense of being influential, personally. So I'd have to go with "American Pie."