CFZ Still concerned. Help me feel better ab our defense

Knotamus

Reaction score
I don't want to dissuade my excitement from our recent wins because they were huge and put our Boys in position to contend for the Division (and hopefully a SB). Yet with all the talk about how soft our next three games are, I have to temper expectations because the following three games in December have me worried.

As good as this team is playing, only two teams have committed to running the ball against us..which is mind boggling due to the well known weakness of the defense. The bears and the Packers. Fortunately, the offense make it too difficult for the Bears to complete a comeback.. but they were destroying us on the ground. The Packers stayed committed and eventually won in OT even though Dallas had a 2TD lead. Likewise, in the last few games (outside the Giants decimated OL) teams still have been able to run, but chose unwisely to challenge our pass rush.

The last three games of the season are against very tough DLs and “run oriented” teams. They can control TOP, keep our offense on the sidelines, and wear down the pass rush. None of this bolds well for Dallas.

Dak has been playing well, but I’m a realist.. Dak needs a run game to operate efficiently. So look at the following defense rankings of the last three games:
  • Philly #2 total; #19 run (122 ypg)
  • Tenn #17 total; #2 run (82 ypg)
  • Wash #5 total; #6 (103 ypg)
And what about the other playoff contender
that kicked our butts last year by running it down our throats with Elijah Mitchell of all people?
  • SF #1 total; #1 run (81 ypg)
So yeah, we can go ahead and possibly add OBJ..that only slightly helps our offense by keeping defenses honest. But I don’t expect the offense to drop 50 points a game. I mean, the offense is already throwing 40 burgers on teams.

Soon, we’ll be entering the part of the season that seems to only be an extension of the playoffs. The final three games will tell us a lot about our team. Unfortunately I’m worried the same Achilles Heel will present itself again…And SF‘s defense is stronger than last year. So as much as I’m trying to enjoy these recent wins…Someone please help me feel optimistic about our chances.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
One interception they thought it was a Flag. Another one was a borderline P.I.

Dak doesn't really need a running game to operate an offense. You need the threat of the running game because the left side of your line isn't that' great in pass protection. Being balanced or efficient is more important. Keeping wit the flow of the game is also important.

The Giants were down to 4th string DB's, they should come out and pass it. The Giants had Kayvon Thibedoux, Dexter Lawrence, Quinnen Williams healthy.

Our receivers outside of Ceedee don't consistently separate, there's no reason with 4 string DBs that Gallup should be catching passes with guy all over him like they're Revis. Can't blame Kellen For this.

The Packers and Rams did better because on top of their line playing better, they attacked their weakness, their secondary. Packers came back due to chunk plays through the air. Two 30+ yard throws and a 50 yard bomb. If Aaron Rogers wasn't blind in their game they would have won, missed quite a few wide open throws because San Fran secondary was bad.

Running the ball is mostly just coaching, discipline and edge control and just average LB play.

Problems in the past that seemed to be helped fixed this year.
1.) Kellen understands game flow better (due to Mccarthy's influence).
2.) You can't treat every perimeter weapon like they're equal and try to be "fair with targets". D at this point is by far your best weapon, target him until he stops".
3.) Tony Pollard should get more touches.

Things that need to be removed from the offense.
1.) Reverses, end around I'm fine with.
2. For the love of god I don't care who fault it is, stop throwing options routes over the deep middle.

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
One interception they thought it was a Flag. Another one was a borderline P.I.

Dak doesn't really need a running game to operate an offense. You need the threat of the running game because the left side of your line isn't that' great in pass protection. Being balanced or efficient is more important. Keeping wit the flow of the game is also important.

The Giants were down to 4th string DB's, they should come out and pass it. The Giants had Kayvon Thibedoux, Dexter Lawrence, Quinnen Williams healthy.

Our receivers outside of Ceedee don't consistently separate, there's no reason with 4 string DBs that Gallup should be catching passes with guy all over him like they're Revis. Can't blame Kellen For this.

The Packers and Rams did better because on top of their line playing better, they attacked their weakness, their secondary. Packers came back due to chunk plays through the air. Two 30+ yard throws and a 50 yard bomb. If Aaron Rogers wasn't blind in their game they would have won, missed quite a few wide open throws because San Fran secondary was bad.

This is completely false. Almost every single game where Dak is passing a lot is a loss.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
This defense will give up some points but the big play factor is through the roof. That dynamic ability can win big games. Hope it happens now because this roster will be whittled down over the next few seasons.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
This is completely false. Almost every single game where Dak is passing a lot is a loss.

If you protect him and have good line play he will be fine. If a team is down to their 4th and 5th string corner I want my team passing the ball.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Our defense is the #1 defense in the NFL and it certainly is much stronger than last years. So I don't know what the infatuation is with San Francisco's defense. We are also much more physical this year than last year on both sides of the ball.

I'm sure the Giants wanted to establish the run yesterday with Barkley. But we shut that down completely. Our defense harassed Daniel Jones the whole game and wasn't as close as it seems.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Our defense is the #1 defense in the NFL and it certainly is much stronger than last years. So I don't know what the infatuation is with San Francisco's defense. We are also much more physical this year than last year on both sides of the ball.

I'm sure the Giants wanted to establish the run yesterday with Barkley. But we shut that down completely. Our defense harassed Daniel Jones the whole game and wasn't as close as it seems.

Not arguing, just want to clarify the facts:

SF currently is the #1 defense (#11 pass/#1 run)

Dal is #7 (#1 pass/ #22 run)

And to be fair: Yes we shut down Barkley. But the Giants were playing 3 backup OL.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s the best it’s been in years so that’s a positive.

I’m going to hold my breath until they play well on the road in the playoffs though. Have to see them stop the run before I crown them.

Knotamus

Reaction score
It’s the best it’s been in years so that’s a positive.

I’m going to hold my breath until they play well on the road in the playoffs though. Have to see them stop the run before I crown them.
Exactly my sentiments

Proof

Reaction score
Not arguing, just want to clarify the facts:

SF currently is the #1 defense (#11 pass/#1 run)

Dal is #7 (#1 pass/ #22 run)

And to be fair: Yes we shut down Barkley. But the Giants were playing 3 backup OL.

how do they quantify number 1? is it an aggregate thing w/ all of the category rankings? is it specific to ppg? ypg? something else? All i know is we're number 1 in a few categories

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
how do they quantify number 1? is it an aggregate thing w/ all of the category rankings? is it specific to ppg? ypg? something else? All i know is we're number 1 in a few categories
It's purely by total yards. Yes, it's a goofy way to rank defenses.

Football Outsiders has us 2nd overall, 2nd against the pass (behind NE) and 10th against the run. We may have the top pass defense after what MIN did to NE yesterday. By EPA, it looks like we're roughly tied for 2nd with Denver (again, behind NE, and again, before yesterday). Football Reference's Simple Rating System, surprise, surprise, has us 2nd, behind NE.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Cowboys have allowed 187 points so far this year. That is an average of 17 points per game.

You don't think the offense can muster up enough points to win games with the defense playing so well?
Thanks, that’s something definitely positive.

And yes, I believe we can score more than 17. I just fear the run oriented teams that have good DL will neutralize our offense. Let’s hope that isn’t the case.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Defensive rankings have always been based on total yards, which in kinda of silly I know. I think it’s easier to divide the (Pass v. Run) data this way. But I don’t make the rules.

Now if we’re talking PPG (points per game), which actually makes more sense, then Dallas is technically (marginally) #1. Three teams are currently tied at 17 ppg.
  • #1 Dal (17.0)
  • #2 Den (17.1)
  • #3 SF (17.3)
For perspective’s sake: 13 NFL teams allow 20 points or less. And 5 of the next 6 games fall into this category expect Hou

side note: I’m using ESPN’s statical data, as its more current (games played, etc)

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
We are a good defense that is not good against the run

Dak needs a run game to beat a top team

both of those are facts

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I feel better about this defense when I think about:

Diggs and Gallimore- on their 3rd year
Parons, Osa, Bohanna, Golston, Cox, Israel, and Joseph on their 2nd year
Sam, Clark, Bland, Bell, and Harper on their 1st year

All drafted, all young, and major contributions

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Outside of Philly, every team we play the rest of the year are a more traditional type run game. We will be fine against those. It's the teams with mobile QBs that really gives us fits. I think against GB, they went into kill rodgers mode to soon, expecting him to drop back every play when they were down 14. We paid for it. I think they learned their lesson on that one. But the fact remains, this D is built to play with a lead, be aggressive and get to the QB. As long as the O does their job, we will be fine. Ten will be a huge test for the Run D. So will Philly. If need to start strong and put some points on the board to get them to at least a more balanced attack instead of running 70% of the time.

Proof

Reaction score
It's purely by total yards. Yes, it's a goofy way to rank defenses.

Football Outsiders has us 2nd overall, 2nd against the pass (behind NE) and 10th against the run. We may have the top pass defense after what MIN did to NE yesterday. By EPA, it looks like we're roughly tied for 2nd with Denver (again, behind NE, and again, before yesterday). Football Reference's Simple Rating System, surprise, surprise, has us 2nd, behind NE.

thanks

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't going to play their "A" game every week for 17 weeks. No team is.

The Giants are a pretty good team, a division rival. They should be respected. It could be that the Cowboys didn't blow them out because they played hard.