Stop mixing up the offense?

superpunk

Reaction score
I saw some things out of Denver last night that I really liked on offense. There were several times that they ran essentially the exact same play a few plays in a row because they saw it working, and kept running it until the defense adjusted. Case in point is the game winning TD. They ran Marshall on the same route twice, seeing that it was open the first time the throw was just a little off. They did the same thing against the Chargers, throwing a TD pass to Royal and then a 2 point conversion on the exact same play. I've seen it many times.

On the other hand, Dallas will run the sweep to the right side, gain 15 yards, and then never run it again in the same game.

Norv used to exploit a matchup or play over and over again - which then sets up other things - ie once the defender is sitting on the route they expect, you double move them and go over the top.

Am I wrong on this? Do you notice the same things? We run alot of complex deep plays but I almost never see us find something that's working and then continue exploiting that until the defense steps up.

links18

Reaction score
superpunk;2406751 said:
I saw some things out of Denver last night that I really liked on offense. There were several times that they ran essentially the exact same play a few plays in a row because they saw it working, and kept running it until the defense adjusted. Case in point is the game winning TD. They ran Marshall on the same route twice, seeing that it was open the first time the throw was just a little off. They did the same thing against the Chargers, throwing a TD pass to Royal and then a 2 point conversion on the exact same play. I've seen it many times.

On the other hand, Dallas will run the sweep to the right side, gain 15 yards, and then never run it again in the same game.

Norv used to exploit a matchup or play over and over again - which then sets up other things - ie once the defender is sitting on the route they expect, you double move them and go over the top.

Am I wrong on this? Do you notice the same things? We run alot of complex deep plays but I almost never see us find something that's working and then continue exploiting that until the defense steps up.

We ran the toss sweep twice to Owens in the Commanders' game. :)

Seriously, I don 't think Garrett has figured out how to wear down the defense yet. He wants big play after big play, but he needs to figure out how to set-up the big plays with less spectacular, but more consistent gains first.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Last week, late in the game, we actually did this. We ran a draw from the shotgun about 4 times in a row.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
We ran the same play 3 times in a row against the Giants.

I wanted to pull my hair out. I get what you're saying, I just don't think Jason is smart enough to do it in an efficient manner at a meaningful point in the game.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;2406792 said:
We ran the same play 3 times in a row against the Giants.

I wanted to pull my hair out. I get what you're saying, I just don't think Jason is smart enough to do it in an efficient manner at a meaningful point in the game.
It's like he has no feel for the game. That extra sense that tells you "If we run this play right now, we will score."

aikemirv

Reaction score
superpunk;2406751 said:

I agree with that but that can backfire as much as it can succeed. Case in point was the mini reverse to Cribbs that Cleveland ran twice in a matter of minutes. The first time Ekuban totally forgot to keep containment. HE WAS BENCHED. The second time his replacement did his job and stopped the play for no yards.

If the CB was smart he should have been ready and picked that play off. Yet he played it the same way and did not interfere and Marshall caught the TD.

aikemirv

Reaction score
superpunk;2406802 said:
It's like he has no feel for the game. That extra sense that tells you "If we run this play right now, we will score."

I do think you are right on his "feel for the game". When he learned the offense in Dallas it was all about execution. Everybody knew what Dallas was going to do in the nineties - they could just not stop it. Norv did have and still does have a great feel for the game though.

I think he still believes that execution is more important than trying to fool your opponent. Which in essence it is, but it does not hurt to keep them off-balance!!!

zeromaster

Reaction score
I've lost track of how many times they've run up the middle on first down for not much at all. Maybe play action, just now and then?

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
I do this all the time on Madden.

The guy I'm playing against gets pissed off because I'm doing the exact same play but he can't stop it, so why change.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
superpunk;2406802 said:

That reminds me of the Den vs. GB Super Bowl on America's Game ... when Shanahan was conversing with Elway and adjusted the offense telling him about going long to Rod Smith vs. that DB (Bradford I think, can't remember his name really)... saying he's gonna be wide open when you pass it to him due to setting up the offense well up to that point. He just knew it would work... confusing as to why our offense doesn't employ that ability sometimes with the current personnel. good point sp.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
superpunk;2406751 said:
Do you notice the same things?

Chocolate Lab;2406777 said:
I have a feeling percyhoward approves your post. ;)
:laugh2:
Notice it? I'm surprised somebody hasn't told me to shut up about it.

Like I said in another thread, Garrett's the pitcher who shakes off every sign.