Stop the nonsense

Rayman70

Reaction score
If they bring him back they are idiots period.
we have to have a plan if we do not sign him. If not him, who? Its very difficult to find franchise QB's...they do not grow on trees. Dak may not be Mahomes, but he's good enough to elevate the team. Its not his fault our defenses have been bad.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
we have to have a plan if we do not sign him. If not him, who? Its very difficult to find franchise QB's...they do not grow on trees. Dak may not be Mahomes, but he's good enough to elevate the team. Its not his fault our defenses have been bad.
I am with you but he is not really worth that much we need help almost everywhere

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The FO won't place the tag on Dak until they absolutely have to. That means March 9th. They will continue to negotiate a long-term deal beyond that date until it gets done or the negotiation period expires. I disagree with the OP that they should just slap the tag on Dak and be done with it. That shows a great deal of disrespect to Dak. If you are a hater of Dak, I can see where this might be your approach to the "nonsense".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I've seen this suggestion many times.

Here's the deal. No team would be interested. So it would accomplish nothing. Nobody's giving up two 1s for the right to give Dak Prescott 40 million a year. It's not happening. You'd have to be delusional to think there'd be interest in that.

The Cowboys are negotiating against themselves. Which is why they're idiots and Prescott actually has no leverage despite media and fan boy reports.

LA gave up two 1sts and a 3rd for Stafford. By that scale, Dak could easily be taken for two firsts, particularly by a team that expecting their picks to be toward the end of the 1st.

That's a big problem with the "non-exclusive tag" - it only specifies first round picks, which vary widely in value. Our 10 is worth two late 1st round picks by itself. If we're trading Dak, we'll want to prevent a team likely drafting late from taking Dak for only 2 late first round picks. We may be able to do better.

The non-franchise tag is pointless for us. We can let Dak negotiate with anyone we want to. We can negotiate such deals *with* him. Non-franchise won't save us money either, as Dak's tag hit will be based on last year plus 20% regardless of tag used.

Last edited:

coult44

Reaction score
Ok let's all go in the corner and cry. What difference does it make boo hoo. If that's how you feel why waste your time following the team? Cap matters.

Some of us have invested so much time and $$& into the organization over the years, that we will suffer until the end. I know it’s hard for people who don’t do that to understand though, so it’s ok. WTBS, when you can’t argue the facts this is a typical response.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Place the non-exclusive franchise tag on him and let's see where it goes.

A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

I'd like to keep Dak, but not on a three year cap busting deal. I hope there is no truth to the rumor. In any event if we can't get a deal done early this is the way to go. Dak will either find his worth or lack thereof as many of you say.

If someone signs him, with our 10th pick and 3 first the following season we have more than enough ammo to move up and get our QB. From there we have the cap space to make a difference on the defense and we can go heavy on D the rest of the draft as well.

I'm a Dak fan, but a much bigger Cowboys fan. Let's quit playing games and get this done.
So just throw away the next 2 out 3 years? Ok quitter.

CWR

Reaction score
Some of us have invested so much time and $$& into the organization over the years, that we will suffer until the end. I know it’s hard for people who don’t do that to understand though, so it’s ok. WTBS, when you can’t argue the facts this is a typical response.

I've bled for this team for 30 years lol. Is there even such a thing as a fair weather Cowboys fan anymore? Some of yall are just miserable cry babies. I can't understand such a sad mindset. If I felt that negative about the team I'd probably look for another hobby.

CWR

Reaction score
So just throw away the next 2 out 3 years? Ok quitter.

Do you have a better plan if Dak is only looking for a 3 year contract? I don't believe gaining 2 first and 120 million(ish) is quitting. Who's to say you can't flip those picks and make a trade for another QB either pro or in the draft?

FVSTONE

Reaction score

A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

I'd like to keep Dak, but not on a three year cap busting deal. I hope there is no truth to the rumor. In any event if we can't get a deal done early this is the way to go. Dak will either find his worth or lack thereof as many of you say.

If someone signs him, with our 10th pick and 3 first the following season we have more than enough ammo to move up and get our QB. From there we have the cap space to make a difference on the defense and we can go heavy on D the rest of the draft as well.

I'm a Dak fan, but a much bigger Cowboys fan. Let's quit playing games and get this done.
Invest the big bucks on the O-Line and draft a QB with the 10th pick. Not sure if we'd be looking at a 13-3 season, but you never know.............lightening could strike twice.

Reactions: CWR

plymkr

Reaction score

I completely agree with this. Let him test the market and see what's out there. If he leaves then we get 2 firsts. This way we know we are not bidding against ourselves. I would love for him to test the market and get a contract far less then what he wants. Then we got the leverage.

I'm starting to think losing him will not be that bad. He was great in 2016 when the offensive line was great. His play has been average as the line has been average. If I can see it then 31 other teams can see it too.

Flamma

Reaction score

I really don't think he's getting any tag. It's sign or walk. The reason I say that is because unlike last season, Jerry is going to have to clear space just to tag him. A good amount of space. It isn't pragmatic to do that. The only way I see that happening is if they already have a trade partner that Dak agrees to. But Dak is not playing on the tag.

Reactions: CWR

dckid

Reaction score
I've seen this suggestion many times.

Here's the deal. No team would be interested. So it would accomplish nothing. Nobody's giving up two 1s for the right to give Dak Prescott 40 million a year. It's not happening. You'd have to be delusional to think there'd be interest in that.

The Cowboys are negotiating against themselves. Which is why they're idiots and Prescott actually has no leverage despite media and fan boy reports.
Thank you. Trade him for a first and 3rd and move on. Draft a guy this year. Be happy that you got great value out of Dak these 5 years.
No one should be paying him 40 a year. Just look at all the average Qb’s who got paid, Jimmy G, Cousins, Wentz, Goff. All their teams want to move on as soon as the deal is signed.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If we draft a QB, there’s like a 90% chance that he’ll never be as good as Dak.

I’m not signing up for that. Never forget Paxton Lynch and Jerry’s hard-on for him.
No worries. Jerry's not going to draft another starting quarterback. We were lucky they drafted a starting quarterback in 2016. And the best one.

Last time Jerry drafted a starting quarterback before Dak was the great Quincy Carter. :muttley:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You wouldn't know if there was interest unless you tried. Look at recent deals between teams where you thought, "wow, I would have never made that deal". Just because you believe something doesn't mean a different party can't think differently.

Doing this sets the market for Prescott. It would resolve this on going saga.
It would, but the jones boys wont do this, they dont have the stones.
It would also show that Dak will go where the money is. Where he gets what he wants for himself, he doesnt care if the team that he signs with wins a SB or not.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No worries. Jerry's not going to draft another starting quarterback. We were lucky they drafted a starting quarterback in 2016. And the best one.

Last time Jerry drafted a starting quarterback before Dak was the great Quincy Carter. :muttley:
they drafted Dak lol that counts .