CFZ Streaks that must end

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We all know about the long 27 year streak of no divisional playoff wins or NFC championship games or Super Bowls. Obviously those streaks need to end asap.

But before we change that long frustrating history, we need two big streaks to also end that could lead to the end of the 27 yr streak:
  1. Making the playoffs in back to back seasons. It’s been 15 years since the last time this team made the playoffs in back to back seasons- 2006-07 to be exact. Looking very much like that streak will finally be broken this year.
  2. Winning a road playoff game for the first time in 30 years. I still can’t believe we haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC championship game in SF nearly 30 years ago. We are 0-8 on the road in the playoffs since the day Jimmy Johnson screamed, “How about them Cowboys!”
It’s pretty simple- if this year is going to be a success the two streaks above must end. Winning a road playoff game is THE test for a true SB contender. It looks increasingly like the Cowboys will have to win some road playoff games to make the last 27 yr streak end.

Here’s to making the playoffs and winning some road playoff games.
Hope it happens Bob
A lot of long suffering fans would love it

plasticman

Reaction score
We all know about the long 27 year streak of no divisional playoff wins or NFC championship games or Super Bowls. Obviously those streaks need to end asap.

But before we change that long frustrating history, we need two big streaks to also end that could lead to the end of the 27 yr streak:
  1. Making the playoffs in back to back seasons. It’s been 15 years since the last time this team made the playoffs in back to back seasons- 2006-07 to be exact. Looking very much like that streak will finally be broken this year.
  2. Winning a road playoff game for the first time in 30 years. I still can’t believe we haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC championship game in SF nearly 30 years ago. We are 0-8 on the road in the playoffs since the day Jimmy Johnson screamed, “How about them Cowboys!”
It’s pretty simple- if this year is going to be a success the two streaks above must end. Winning a road playoff game is THE test for a true SB contender. It looks increasingly like the Cowboys will have to win some road playoff games to make the last 27 yr streak end.

I'm still not giving up on the idea of NO road games in the postseason. It's a reach but I think it is still a possibility.

What would it take?

Well, the Eagles would have to lose to the Cowboys and then the Cowboys would have to match the Eagles the rest of the way without losing a division game.

That would give the Cowboys the 2nd tiebreaker, division record.

Then again, the Cowboys have never really had a homefield advantage since they moved into AT&T Stadium.

Several years ago, I did some research on the concept of homefield advantage in the NFL. I reasoned that it could best be measured by the difference in winning percentage between home and away games. The team with the largest difference in won/lost percentage would have the greatest homefield advantage based on results. Again this was several years ago.

Well, it turned out that the Cowboys ranked dead last. They had no homefield advantage. In fact, at that point in time, their margin of winning percentage between home and away games was a negative number. That is, they won more away games than home games.

Case in point, last postseason was the first time they used the new playoff system with three wildcard teams from each conference. there were six wildcard games where the division winners who were not the top seed hosted a wildcard team. The Cowboys were the only division winner to lose in the wildcard round. Five out of six wildcard games were won by the home team. That's a very low probability for wildcard teams to win a road game in the first round.

Meanwhile, did you know?

The Dallas Cowboys have won back to back playoff road games only once in their history. The year was 1975, when they had the "Dirty Dozen" rookies. It was supposed to be a rebuilding year. The Cowboy had missed the playoffs in 1974 for the first time in 9 years and they were being written off.

The first victory was the "Hail Mary" game against the Vikings, clearly the best team coming out of the regular season. It shocked the NFL world. Of course, the Cowboys had just been lucky, they claimed. The star studded 13-3 Rams would make short work of them.

The Rams had a stable of star RB's, led by Pro Bowler Lawrence McCutcheon with Cullen Bryant and John Capelletti. Their WR's were Ron Jessie and Pro Bowler Harold Jackson. Their quarterback was James Harris backed up by a young Ron Jaworski.

On defense their front seven was manned by five Pro Bowlers including Jack Youngblood, Merlin Olsen, Fred Dryer Isiah Robertson and Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds. They were ranked #1 in points allowed and #2 in yards allowed

The Rams were heavily favored in their home game, the NFC Championship.

The Cowboys traveled to Los Angelos and utterly destroyed them 37-7.

During the entire season no other team had scored more than 24 points against that defense. Their 7 offensive points were also the season low.

McCutcheon was held to 10 yards on 11 carries. Harold Jackson didn't have a single reception.

Roger Staubach threw for four TD's in the first half, three of them to RB Preston Pearson and a 42 yarder to Golden Richards. The Cowboys offense put 441 yards on the #1 defense in the league. The Rams had 118 total yards from scrimmage.

The Dallas Cowboys, a wildcard team with no home playoff games went to the Super Bowl that season.

That would be extremely difficult to repeat.

817Gill

Reaction score

Deja vú on this post, if I recall this same one was made in 2019? Good reminder regardless!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I'd like to see an end to the Brady winless streak. We might get one last shot in the playoffs this year if things line up.

Some time in the future I'd also like to end the losing streak to Denver which is at 6 games I think.

Flamma

Reaction score
One streak that should be broken this year is back to back double digit win seasons. If I'm not mistaken, the last time we did that was in '95 and '96.

Motorola

Reaction score

The younger generations of Cowboys - 28/29 y.o. on down - have yet to see and experience it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Call me crazy but IMO only injuries can stop us from getting to the NFCC game. After a slow start, we pretty much dominated the Giants despite two interceptiones and 10 penalties. Last year, we lost this game......lack of toughness, discipline, AND DEFENSE but I would argue, these are now the strength of the team.

This will lead the way.........remember Parsons's statement about losing a game where his offense gives them a two TD lead?

NFL team defense stats – Best pass rush teams in NFL 2022
Here are the best pass-rushing teams in the NFL entering Week 12.

1. Dallas Cowboys – 30.2% pressure rate (1st), 51% pass-rush win rate (2nd), 42 sacks
  2. Philadelphia Eagles – 23.1% pressure rate (9th), 50% pass-rush win rate (4th), 33 sacks
  3. New York Jets – 24.9% pressure rate (4th), 44% pass-rush win rate (11th), 32 sacks
  4. New England Patriots – 29.8% pressure rate (2nd), 34% pass-rush win rate (29th), 36 sacks
  5. Denver Broncos – 22.7% pressure rate (17th), 51% pass-rush win rate (2nd), 26 sacks
5. Dallas Cowboys
NFL-New-York-Giants-at-Dallas-Cowboys-19497609-788x444.jpg

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
  • Previously: 7th in NFL defense rankings
Overcoming two Dak Prescott interceptions, the Dallas Cowboys defense held up fairly well with the New York Giants totaling 300 yards (5.1 yards per play) with a 27% third-down conversion rate. While there aren’t any definitive answers on whether or not the Cowboys’ run defense is fixed, the best pass-rushing team in the NFL should create havoc against the Indianapolis Colts in Week 13.

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score

If this is our year we have to exorcise some demons. I feel we can do it. We just can't beat ourselves.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Winning a road playoff game for the first time in 30 years. I still can’t believe we haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC championship game in SF nearly 30 years ago. We are 0-8 on the road in the playoffs since the day Jimmy Johnson screamed, “How about them Cowboys!”.

Its arguable that winning a road playoff game is easier nowadays than it was 20-30 years ago due the parity of the league… that said, I’m not saying it’ll be easy, but going on the road to any of the likely division winners wouldn’t scare me.
In fact Minnesota would worry me most because our record is so good in their new stadium (4-0 I believe??)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its arguable that winning a road playoff game is easier nowadays than it was 20-30 years ago due the parity of the league… that said, I’m not saying it’ll be easy, but going on the road to any of the likely division winners wouldn’t scare me.
In fact Minnesota would worry me most because our record is so good in their new stadium (4-0 I believe??)
Also with the internet it's easier to get tickets to any game anywhere. Fans travel well, so road games aren't what they used to be.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Very hard to win playoff games on the road when you are continually out coached come in unprepared start slow and just generally play sloppy football.

You can't went on the road while continually shooting herself in the foot the NFL is just not that forgiving a place especially in the tournament when everyone is good.

We have the talent on the team to win more than enough talent when we get a coach that can out coach the man across from him we will stand a pretty good chance of winning

OGCowboy

Reaction score
I want this team to earn it...the hard way. If that means road playoff wins...so be it. If they not good enough to pull that off...then go home.
I figure after all these years of frustration for this franchise they need to win one in style and fashion...one to be remembered.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well just looking at the current field, Tampa or Atlanta would be most likely hot, and or a dome. SF could be rainy and sloppy, or Seattle the same. Philly could be cold but it’s generally mild in January it seems. And Minny another dome.

Shouldn’t be any weather excuses this year.

fivetwos

Reaction score

People can disagree all they like, but I’m never gonna buy that Jerry and his “Super Bowl” talk in November isn’t a factor in the lack of playoff success in earlier rounds.

It’s gotta be a one game at a time thing in the minds of the players. MM has to make that happen, but awfully difficult to do when Jerry is boasting about future games to the media.

That’s exactly where selling his product is in full conflict with the success of the team on the field, and either doesn’t recognize it or doesn’t care.

Nothing wrong with the one game at a time approach Jerry. You’ll still make your millions. Dream of being the center of attention for two weeks on your own time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Barring a total collapse we are almost certain to make the playoffs for only our 3 consecutive playoff appearances since our last Super Bowl.
1998-1999
2006-2007
2021-

As it’s most likely to be as a Wild Card which we could have a better record than a divisional winner we face in WC Round . Unfortunately that could be Brady and the Bucs or SF. Which neither is a matchup I’d feel comfortable on the road or at home .

Best case scenario IMO on the road in WC round is at Seattle.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Jason Garrett was our Marvin Lewis, so those ten years don't count to me. Because we never had a chance with him at the helm.

Fire Jason "Moore" Junior and our chances should drastically increase.
If you need another reason to hate Garrett, the Eagles have four road playoffs wins during our road drought, five if you count their SB win.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
The road playoff losing streak isn’t THAT surprising. Winning road playoff games is just about the hardest single game event to accomplish in the league. The league average is about 1 road playoff win per decade.
A little not so fun fact - 2007 giants won all three playoff games on the road and the 2011 team - after a home wild card - won the last 2 on the road.