Strength of the team is our WR’s

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Frankly Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Butch Johnson and Golden Richards were not slobs
Yea, but that was an era when you could stockpile talent without Salary Cap.

We also had Don Merideth, Craig Morton and Roger Staubach at QB on same roster.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yea, but that was an era when you could stockpile talent without Salary Cap.

We also had Don Merideth, Craig Morton and Roger Staubach at QB on same roster.

I agree Gallup was a 3rd rd pick. Cooper we gave up a 1st to get him and Lamb fell into our laps. I don't think the intention on draft day was to get Lamb but when he was there Cowboys jumped at the opportunity. Dallas could have forked over 7 mill to keep Beasley instead we replaced Beasley with a guy who put up pretty much the same numbers yet at a rookie rate. So we have 2 guys on rookie contracts and one on his 1st FA contract

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree Gallup was a 3rd rd pick. Cooper we gave up a 1st to get him and Lamb fell into our laps. I don't think the intention on draft day was to get Lamb but when he was there Cowboys jumped at the opportunity. Dallas could have forked over 7 mill to keep Beasley instead we replaced Beasley with a guy who put up pretty much the same numbers yet at a rookie rate. So we have 2 guys on rookie contracts and one on his 1st FA contract
Yea but Gallup’s contract is coming up. Lamb is a luxury pick for a slot receiver that we could have used a later pick for and if there wasn’t a need we could have traded up or down or out of that slot for more draft capital, unless we aren’t planning on resigning Gallup or Cooper.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yea but Gallup’s contract is coming up. Lamb is a luxury pick for a slot receiver that we could have used a later pick for and if there wasn’t a need we could have traded up or down or out of that slot for more draft capital, unless we aren’t planning on resigning Gallup or Cooper.

Lamb is more than a slot, he can play the slot he can also play on the outside. As for Gallup his contract will be coming due and see what is done. I don't care if Cowboys have a lot of talent at WR in a league that passes as often as the NFL. As for this draft I fully expect defense to be addressed but give me 3 stand out WR any day.

School

Reaction score
....their WRs aren't the strength of the team though lol That's the entire point. Yes, Kelce and Hill are great and look even better since they have a generational QB. But that's not the point of this thread.

The Chiefs are an all-around great team, they weren't in 2018 when their defense was weak and that's why they failed to get to the Super Bowl when Brady went wild on them. The strength of the Chiefs is the QB. The criticism in this thread is that our team is lacking in important areas and the skill positions are the strong point. Now, can you name a team that won a Super Bowl with their WRs being the strength? Again, the Chiefs won last year when 1. Mahomes played great football (as always) and the defense stepped up when it didn't in 2018.

Apologies if my points weren't clear. I didn't say the wrs are the strength of the chiefs, and I'm not responding to OP's points. Instead, my points are:
1. Chiefs have invested heavily in wrs and offensive weapons and have had success.
2. Cowboys having a strong set of wrs at a modest cost is a positive.
3. Having a strong set of wrs isn't stopping the cowboys from having a more complete team, just like being heavily invested in wrs didn't stop the chiefs.
4. Steelers are a not a good example of a team that spends a lot of money of non-qb skill positions.

Are there any of these that you disagree with?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Jerry likes shiny, flashy things. Undoubtedly, drafting WRs fills that void for him! :grin:
Apparently, it never occurred to him that defense is important, too! Who knew?! :huh:

We better have 3 superstar Wrs if we're gonna overcome this 4 TD a year te Core that's plagued us forever. Its a big play scoring league and we may have a bunch of empty calorie yardage stats but no wins against good teams or clutch plays to consider this a good offense. The tes are too involved for their mediocracy. Frfr

Same old flat footed checkdown Charlie te Core that plays every snap but always has an excuse in black and white on paper.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We better have 3 superstar Wrs if we're gonna overcome this 4 TD a year te Core that's plagued us forever. Its a big play scoring league and we may have a bunch of empty calorie yardage stats but no wins against good teams or clutch plays to consider this a good offense. The tes are too involved for their mediocracy. Frfr

Same old flat footed checkdown Charlie te Core that plays every snap but always has an excuse in black and white on paper.

With Quinn as our HC, I'd be shocked if defense isn't a major goal in the draft. The C'boys need there is desperate enough to favor.

quickccc

Reaction score
It’s not “odd” it’s stupid

Name the last SB winner that had 3 great WRs?

None

Now fans want us to go all in on CBs

When will we realize that team success depends on elite QB, followed by OL, great front 7. Everything else flows from there

While I don’t consider Gallup as great (per a No.1 lead-featured WR) – and Lamb has not arrive at that level yet, and I consider Coop as very solid but not great. Because of skill set
and production, I could see if someone called this WR unit as a overall whole potentially great .

But realistically what Super bowl teams have every even had had 3 great single WRs across the board ?

Probably the greatest WR group unit in that area during a SB win I recall as great were the 2010 Green Bay Packer which won the SB here in Dallas and boasted: Donald Driver, Greg. Jennings, James jones and Jordy nelson … Wow !

and we'd have to go way back to the days of Niners, Rams, Indy, and Washington to recall other great WR unit:

Niners with Rice, Taylor
Washington with Charlie brown-Monk ..and again with Gary Clark, Monk and Sanders
St. Louis Rams with Holt, Bruce, Hakeem and Proehl
Steeler with Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward
Indy Colts with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne (2008)

It maybe more of a passing league nowadays in today's NFL - and with most of NFL,
but it also still more about championship Defense, at the right year and right time down the stretch that usually decides wins -losses in a Super Bowl drive run, imo.
What defensive team turns in the best battle both during games and at end of games- en route to the SB trophy.

Question of the Day: During our 90's super bowl runs (and wins), did we Three great WRs ? …. or did we have a " great" WR unit with Irvin, Harper, K-Martin ? :cool:

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s as odd as people want to think it is. Kansas City, especially if we include Kelce is loaded with receivers. Tampa bays strength is their receivers.

Pittsburgh has tried to load up on receivers, even rebuilding teams like cincinnati are quietly building a strong wr unit.

Buffalo made themselves 3 deep at wr by bringing on diggs.

it’s just the way the league is headed.

- what strong WR unit does Cincy have ? they have an aging and declining AJ Green, John Ross is a 1st rd bust, and that leaves rookie TJ Higgins.
I would've thought you'd mentioned Cleveland Browns with Jarvis Landry and eventual OJ Beckham. ahead of Cincy, ..
Buffalo added Diggs to Beasley, to make it a great 1-2 punch, whose the other 3 , John Brown ?
whose a speedster Brown is oft injured and can be a disappearing act, but if they add two - three more play makers at RB, WR and TE....
..then duck ! :omg:

- if Kelce is not included in a WR group- then it's one great WR and then some above average to decent ones in Watkins, Hardman, Robinson and combining
a great QB with great coaching scheme and general play calling makes even the decent ones stand out even more so.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
- what strong WR unit does Cincy have ? they have an aging and declining AJ Green, John Ross is a 1st rd bust, and that leaves rookie TJ Higgins.
I would've thought you'd mentioned Cleveland Browns with Jarvis Landry and eventual OJ Beckham. ahead of Cincy, ..
Buffalo added Diggs to Beasley, to make it a great 1-2 punch, whose the other 3 , John Brown ?
whose a speedster Brown is oft injured and can be a disappearing act, but if they add two - three more play makers at RB, WR and TE....
..then duck ! :omg:

- if Kelce is not included in a WR group- then it's one great WR and then some above average to decent ones in Watkins, Hardman, Robinson and combining
a great QB with great coaching scheme and general play calling makes even the decent ones stand out even more so.

A couple different ways you can break this down, personally i would use a combination of overall talent level currently + how much draft capital you have used. Really draft capital is one of the big things, as im sure no one has an issue with the receivers the Cowboys have, but rather the resources used to acquire those receivers.

With Cincinnati you have to add in Tyler Boyd, dude is a top end slot guy, and if he played for a bigger market team he would be a household name. Him + Higgins is a very strong 1-2 punch, AJ Green as a 3rd WR isnt a terrible option. Overall though with their top 4 WRs they've spent two first round picks and two second round picks, although to be fair the Green pick was ages ago.

The Bills had Brown/Beasley last year. I get Brown had a down year with injuries, but the dude was a 1000 yard receiver just last season. My point there is that they had a solid 1-2 duo, but still went out to grab a top flight X receiver in Diggs, and gave up heavy assets to do so.

KC i'll give you. Hill is out of this world good, personally i would attach Kelce as a receiver, but without him the actual WR unit is just OK after Hill. Still Hardman was a 2nd round pick not too long ago, and Watkins counts $15MM against the cap this year, and was a former #4 overall pick himself.

Overall my point was that teams aren't afraid to sink resources into the position, and what Dallas has isn't that unique. Personally i think they have the best trio outside of maybe Tampa, but its not this super rare situation the OP made it out to be. Now i do think the argument against spending 1st round picks on receivers is a very reasonable debate, but teams still do it, and teams continue to give out monster WR contracts...all despite the fact that they seem to be found easier than ever.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I personally think it’s really odd to have the strength of your team as wide receivers....doesn’t make a lot of since to me to have so much draft capital tied up there but it is....

I can’t recall any good playoffs teams that had the WRs as their best unit

used to be the OL

kskboys

Reaction score
So, you’re hanging your hat on one game? LOL. OK. Just remember the moniker that team was known for. It wasn’t the Greatest Defense on Turf.
That was in the playoffs. You can't be this obtuse!!!!

The Greatest offense on Turf couldn't win w/o a top 4 D. Did you get the point this time or must I rephrase again?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
People act like this is the Millen Lions that spend very high first rounders on WRs three years ago.

In fact, the only one of the three that costs much is Cooper. The others were a #17 and a 3rd rounder. Hard to complain about dumping too many resources into that.

But the OP's thinking is what leads to taking Chaisson over Lamb. Then, guess what, your defense isn't any better but your strength is worse.

And I'm one that loves defense and hates that this team has stunk on that side of the ball for over a decade now. But you can't force picks just to get a certain position.