Stubborn Marinelli

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
They love there "Scapegoats" here....Richards is one of there Golden child's and of course if our defense has a off day its Fire Marinelli all the way .......etc etc etc....

It wasn't an "Off day" the defense was straight up dominated, abused and embarrassed in a division playoff game. Quit making excuses, the defense once again fails in the playoffs. They got whipped like a yappy little dog.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Right. The Bears laid out the blueprint by not playing nickel vs their 3 wide.

We did what the Rams wanted and expected us to do.
Yep I've been posting a video I got from another poster on here about that same thing. How do you not do like the Pats did yesterday and "steal" elements from another team esp one that man handled the Rams? That's fireable offense to me. Part on how Bears played it starts at about 15 min

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
adjective
  1. having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.
    "a stubborn refusal to learn from experience"

Hopefully this was the last game Marinelli will ever coach for us.

It was NOT fun watching our 4-2-5 nickel defense get steam rolled by the Rams.

What an embarrassing performance by our DC.

That is SOOOO funny. In every game this year when the D has been lights out we have credited Richard. He was the reason that our D improved so much and it was his play calling on the field. Now, a loss where the D was totally defeated in the trenches and the play calling was on Mari. Guess what? We either gave Richard far too much credit for the play calling in games when the D balled out OR we didn't give Mari enough. Anybody who buys into Mari being the reason for the D lapse should rethink their reason why Richard was the reason for the great season defensively. If you're gonna blame Mari for the lapse you have to credit him for the improvement. Quid pro quo bro. We got flat out beat mano e mano in the trenches. It happens. Lick your wounds and move on

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Only when we win! It’s not that hard to follow the narrative, dude.
The narrative is it don't matter who you want to put blame on they both stunk in that trash gameplan. You follow that narrative?

conner01

Reaction score
I don't feel there was much in terms of scheming, hell they ran the ball down our throats all night long. Nothing tricky just smash mouth football. They did not have to rely on the passing game they gave us a steady dose of run and Dallas could not stop it. CJ Anderson especially, dude is built like a bowling ball and was churning out the yards. I guess it is smart to say you can't stop the run and we will continue to run until you prove we can't
Very simple stuff
By scheme I meant what we expected coming in
I think we expected them to pass but they never really had to
They played and exacted perfectly

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 of the last 4 first round picks have been on defensive players. We haven't drafted an OL in the first round since 2014.

Time to turn the page. Let Richard run the defense.

Not sold on Richards just yet....why did Seattle let him go?
Reminds me of Mike Singletary a lot of screaming and passion but jury is still out on him.
We drafted and some were good picks but yet again last draft used a 2nd rounder for Williams G when there we're some good DT there....
Marinelli might have run his course here like Garrett but I will not feed him to the Dogs to excuse the ineptness of the FO....you listening Jerry and Will.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Very simple stuff
By scheme I meant what we expected coming in
I think we expected them to pass but they never really had to
They played and exacted perfectly

Garrett said going in that their offense went through Gurley. I'm not letting the coaches off but by and large players are paid to play. They knew the Rams running game was a key and yet they could not step up and stop Gurley or CJ Anderson. It was not a shock but on this night the Rams OL came out and blew our defensive front off the ball and provided the holes. Rams had no reason to stop running as long as they could control the line of scrimmage as they did.

conner01

Reaction score
Garrett said going in that their offense went through Gurley. I'm not letting the coaches off but by and large players are paid to play. They knew the Rams running game was a key and yet they could not step up and stop Gurley or CJ Anderson. It was not a shock but on this night the Rams OL came out and blew our defensive front off the ball and provided the holes. Rams had no reason to stop running as long as they could control the line of scrimmage as they did.
We never even slowed it down
Anderson looked like a HOF runningback
Embarrassing and cost us the game

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We never even slowed it down
Anderson looked like a HOF runningback
Embarrassing and cost us the game

CJ Anderson killed us last season when he was in Denver so it was not a surprise for me and even mentioned it before the game that this guy is dangerous. Reminds me a lot of Sproles compact runner who is hard to bring down

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yep I've been posting a video I got from another poster on here about that same thing. How do you not do like the Pats did yesterday and "steal" elements from another team esp one that man handled the Rams? That's fireable offense to me. Part on how Bears played it starts at about 15 min

This fact can’t be understated. Garrett’s mantra is to outplay the other team. Purposefully, it seems, they will go out of their way to not outsmart any team.

We lost by 8 to a team that was way more prepared to win than we were.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Right. The Bears laid out the blueprint by not playing nickel vs their 3 wide.

We did what the Rams wanted and expected us to do.
Yeah but it’s not like we have any good linebackers in LVE, Jaylon and Lee......that would take something called coaching for the past 5 weeks to figure out a way to get all 3 on the field at the same time

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Brings up an important question. I was thinking the D should have adjusted to 8-man fronts designed to shut down the run and dare them to win with Goff passes. Could have worked, but then again maybe Goff would have just shredded us in man-to-man. What do you think? Should Marianelli have gone with stop-the-run fronts?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Funny thing about Tampa is...they spent TWO 1st round picks on the DT position (HOFer Warren Sapp and multiple SB winner Booger McFarland). That went along with Simeon Rice, HOFer Derrick Brooks, John Lynch and Ronde Barber.

Why Marinelli hasn't asked for more at DT is beside me.

Not a lot of room for talent with Antwaun Woods and Daniel Ross.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Brings up an important question. I was thinking the D should have adjusted to 8-man fronts designed to shut down the run and dare them to win with Goff passes. Could have worked, but then again maybe Goff would have just shredded us in man-to-man. What do you think? Should Marianelli have gone with stop-the-run fronts?

Yes.

The 4-2-5 was worthless.

At least stay in base 4-3. Even 4-4.

Anything.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yes.

The 4-2-5 was worthless.

At least stay in base 4-3. Even 4-4.

Anything.

My biggest gripe with this coaching staff is its inability to make adjustments during the game. They seem to create a game plan and then carve it into stone. That's frustrating because there are other aspects of Garrett's coaching that I think are quite good. IMO he's very good at motivating players and getting them to give their all. I dare say he's as good in that area as Jimmy Johnson was. I also think this team has been drafting and signing free agents way better than it used to, granted that's not just Garrett, but the organization. Jerry took a calculated risk with the Amari Cooper trade and it paid off. That's a far cry from the Joey Galloway or the Roy Williams trades, which (let's face it) were reckless desperation moves. This coaching staff and this organization do have some things going for them. We're doing way better than Cleveland.

It makes me wonder if they'll finally get away from the "create a game plan and then brainlessly follow it no matter what happens" mentality.