Twitter: Sturm: Here is where DLaw is getting his numbers

Jipper

Reaction score
I would rescind the tag and tell him to see if another team will give him Mack money and bring the offer to see if they can match.

I don’t think another team will give him the money either!

no way...then you lose the potential to trade him....we need to at least get something in return if we dont resign him...

Bigdog

Reaction score
pay him more guarantee than what Flowers is given and less than Fletcher Cox which is around 60 million. Give him 19-20 mil a year which is also more than Flowers. If he doesn't like it, tough cookies.

Kaiser

Reaction score
no way...then you lose the potential to trade him....we need to at least get something in return if we dont resign him...

Its also a personal insult to DLaw and he could take it that way, then sign with another team for 18 Million a year with higher incentives just out of spite.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a lot, if Dallas is already offering 20MM per they don't see it as an issue.

Or perhaps due to the team having increased its previous offer, they do? With a potential 3-4 month recovery time, the clock is ticking on having Lawrence get the surgery done and being ready for training camp.

I haven't seen the medicals obviously but right now I don't see any motivation from the team side to do anything except stick to their guns.

I'd look again if I were you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its also a personal insult to DLaw and he could take it that way, then sign with another team for 18 Million a year with higher incentives just out of spite.

Agreed. I wouldn't expect him to give Dallas a chance to match any offers if they rescinded the tag on him.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
He can say he isn't going to play on the tag...but then he has to sit out while being unpaid. He won't ever make that money back. Look at Leveon Bell.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Theses numbers are very close to what I was expecting.

5 years, around $100 million, with $60 million of that guaranteed.

Essentially, a 3-year deal for $60 million where the team decides from there whether or not to cintinue the relationship or cut the player with some dead money.

I'm fine with it.
Well now his agent is not. Lol. He was a few weeks ago but now not.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Or perhaps due to the team having increased its previous offer, they do?

20 Million was always the point the deal was going to settle at, that has been in the news articles for quite a while. I don't think that is a show of weakness to move to the logical end state at the end of March.

movaughn88

Reaction score
I don't see what all the hand wringing is about in this forum. It's not your money, and it's not going to "cripple" the team.

Say they guarantee $63m, then that is basically a 3 year $21m aav deal. By the end of that contract, the salary cap in 2022 will be somewhere around $230m. It's just fine to be paying a top 5 DE and the anchor of your DL around 10% of the cap. He's 26 years old.

Good young players cost a lot of money to sign, it's dictated by the market, not what you think is "fair."

I can't WAIT until the angst here over what we have to pay Dak, Cooper, Zeke, Jaylon, and LVE.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dallas has no reason to up their offer unless they thing bigger contracts are going to be signed before the July 15th deadline to do an extension.

With Dez Bryant Dallas did exactly the same thing and signed him a few hours before the deadline to a contract that was almost identical to DeMaryius Thomas. Dallas has no reason to do anything different.

Dez wanted a contract to match Calvin Johnson but took the market rate. That happened because Dez wasn't Calvin Johnson and DLaw will take the Dallas offer at the deadline because he isn't Khalil Mack.
I am guessing we already raised it to 20 million. That’s what they asked for during the combine and our FO thought about it and decided to meet that so they can get him signed and surgery done. Now his agent is upping it. I would like to think his agent is doing this without D-Law actually knowing it. Just doing his job to try to squeeze. I would like to think that D-Law would be perfectly happy with the 20 million a year offer.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
In no way should Aaron Donald's money ever come out of the agent's mouth. Work on comparable guaranteed money to what is being signed around the league and get the dang deal done at 6 yrs 120.
Well Aaron Donald money is pretty darn close to Khalil Mack money, and Khalil Mack certainly is a comp for Lawrence.

It's crazy how Cowboys fans are so afraid of the $20m mark that they'll try to drum up a narrative that Lawrence isn't a top player. You can make the argument that all DEs are overpaid - which, fine - but with a rising cap, Lawrence has always been right to ask for near Mack money.

rags747

Reaction score
Lawrence has stated he will not play under the tag again.

We either give him market value or he isn’t a Cowboy. It’s simple.

A sack of potatoes, and replace him with said sack of potatoes.
Then let him go the Le’Veon Bell route, we saw how that worked out for him...Total Lose on his part. Bring in Quinn for 12m and be done with it.

CWR

Reaction score
Took what risk by tagging him?

Tagging him is one year of guaranteed money at $20.5MM.................... that's way less risky than handing him $70MM in guarantees over 5 or 6 years.

The risk was if he played well under the tag he would command more the following year, since the market only goes up.

Thats not to say it wasnt smart to tag him and make sure his one good year wasn't an outlier.

bodi

Reaction score
I still wonder about his shoulder and back ?

I would tag him

DRella

Reaction score
The risk was if he played well under the tag he would command more the following year, since the market only goes up.

Thats not to say it wasnt smart to tag him and make sure his one good year wasn't an outlier.

But his stats from last season were worse then his previous season!!! And he disappeared when it mattered most. In the playoffs.

So he really didn't raise his value more then the tag value. And the tag value some would argue is higher then what hes worth already without security.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
How many sacks of potatoes can you buy with $22M? Over the next 4 years?

22M isn't enough money for Tony Romo to buy a sack of potatoes. That barely even covers the cost of gas just getting to the grocery store. Geez...

Kaiser

Reaction score
Well Aaron Donald money is pretty darn close to Khalil Mack money, and Khalil Mack certainly is a comp for Lawrence.

In some ways he is but there are a dozen ways to cut the numbers that make Mack a far superior player. For example, Mack has missed two games in five years in the NFL, while DLaw has missed 16. If you average out their entire careers, DLaw averages 7 sacks a season while Mack averages 11.

This deal will undoubtedly get done at some point but IMO Mack is not the comparison for him.