Twitter: Sturm: Here is where DLaw is getting his numbers

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can say he isn't going to play on the tag...but then he has to sit out while being unpaid. He won't ever make that money back. Look at Leveon Bell.

I think 4 months is the approximate time to recover from shoulder surgery based on reports about Ziggy Ansah's shoulder surgery which was done in December.

That means DLaw will be out 4 months or more due to shoulder surgery.

Cowboys Lose if:
He can wait until the week before game 1 then sign the tag. The team has to pay him if he signs the tag.

DLaw loses (the team also loses) if:
The team can rescind the tag if the player has not signed it.

If the Cowboys rescind the tag a month before game 1 then DLaw has minimal value to other teams in 2019 because he would be out most of the season due to the surgery.

Deadline
July 15 is the dead-line to sign a new multi-year contract.

There would be no point for DLaw to not sign the tag after July 15 because at that point he can't get the contract that he is seeking.

That still has him out for about 2 months of the 2019 season.

Note: Khalil Mack was not on the franchise tag. He was on the 5th year option. He was able to sign a new contract after the trade.

Summary:
DLaw needs to have the surgery by about May 1st in order to be ready for game 1 (assuming the surgery is similar to what Ansah had).

Even if he is an unrestricted free agent in 2020, it seems unlikely that he will get Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald type money.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Injuries, suspensions and games missed is very relevant.
Not when they happened 3 and 5 years ago, they're not.

You pay based on future projections, and there's no patterns for Lawrence to suggest he'd be often injured or is a suspension risk. So those things that happened in the past are completely meaningless for his next contract.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
32 of 32 games in the last two seasons.
No kidding! I get it, but it's heavily biased comparing him to Mack. Christ sake, the 2 games Mack missed in his entire career were in the last 2 seasons.
Cherry picking.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not when they happened 3 and 5 years ago, they're not.

You pay based on future projections, and there's no patterns for Lawrence to suggest he'd be often injured or is a suspension risk. So those things that happened in the past are completely meaningless for his next contract.
Uh, he's played with an injured shoulder for two years.
2 back surgeries, a foot injury and a future shoulder surgery. Lol. Mm k.

I wouldn't pay over 20. That's all I'm contending when fans seem to think he's in the same ballpark as Mack.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
No kidding! I get it, but it's heavily biased comparing him to Mack. Christ sake, the 2 games Mack missed in his entire career were in the last 2 seasons.
Cherry picking.

It not cherry picking, though. It's recent performance. Only in a fans mind is an injury three years ago going to affect a contract that begins in 2019.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It not cherry picking, though. It's recent performance. Only in a fans mind is an injury three years ago going to affect a contract that begins in 2019.
Dude.
He's
Injured
Now!!!!

See the relevance? This ain't wine buddy.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Dude.
He's
Injured
Now!!!!

See the relevance? This ain't wine buddy.

So then you're saying that he's injury prone? That some how his back & foot are related to his shoulder? Is this the weak joints argument again?

risco

Reaction score
D Law can go to HELL! Front office offered a very good deal- trade him now!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Uh, he's played with an injured shoulder for two years.
2 back surgeries, a foot injury and a future shoulder surgery. Lol. Mm k.

I wouldn't pay over 20. That's all I'm contending when fans seem to think he's in the same ballpark as Mack.
It's the NFL. Everybody is playing with a hurt something.

Should Frederick take a pay cut?

Dre11

Reaction score
This is why I said last season they should've paid him then. Not wait until the numbers inflate, everyone here was crying no let him prove it one more year. I said then that was a bad idea, now we got people in here crying he wants too much....lol

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Then don't complain about the Cowboys not winning anything significant if you're ready to take a significant downgrade on the roster rather than loading up for a run.
I really don't think a DE who had 10.5 sacks last year and 2 FF is going to be the difference between us making a super bowl and not. Again, that's a ton of money on one guy. You dedicate that money there, you can't give it to someone else. We've got Zeke, Dak, and Amari who have earned large contracts coming due. Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones as well. Would you like to let one of them walk for a guy like Lawrence? A guy who is clearly interested more in money rather than what is good for the team?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I really don't think a DE who had 10.5 sacks last year and 2 FF is going to be the difference between us making a super bowl and not. Again, that's a ton of money on one guy. You dedicate that money there, you can't give it to someone else. We've got Zeke, Dak, and Amari who have earned large contracts coming due. Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones as well. Would you like to let one of them walk for a guy like Lawrence? A guy who is clearly interested more in money rather than what is good for the team?

I would let Jones walk to keep Lawrence 100%.

If you look at the film, Lawrence is one of the best DL in the leauge.

conner01

Reaction score
Lawrence has stated he will not play under the tag again.

We either give him market value or he isn’t a Cowboy. It’s simple.

A sack of potatoes, and replace him with said sack of potatoes.
At some point he signs his tag
Sitting out an losing 20 mil is dumb
The problem is if he waits till the deadline he misses most of the season

conner01

Reaction score
I would let Jones walk to keep Lawrence 100%.

If you look at the film, Lawrence is one of the best DL in the leauge.
No doubt he’s one of the best but he’s also had injuries, suspension and needs surgery now
I get the hesitation for paying him near the price of the very best

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is why I said last season they should've paid him then. Not wait until the numbers inflate, everyone here was crying no let him prove it one more year. I said then that was a bad idea, now we got people in here crying he wants too much....lol
:clap::clap::clap:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

You may wanna research DLaw other stats besides sacks......the results may surprise you

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
No doubt he’s one of the best but he’s also had injuries, suspension and needs surgery now
I get the hesitation for paying him near the price of the very best

he's played 32 of 32 games, is 26 years old, and has his best football ahead of him. I'm locking him up near $20MM.

I can tell you this deal will not even look big in a few years. They just keep getting bigger and bigger.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
You may wanna research DLaw other stats besides sacks......the results may surprise you
Yeah, he's great again the run too. Very important but you pay top money to the guys who get sacks. That's just how the business is.