Twitter: Sturm: Here is where DLaw is getting his numbers

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
At some point he signs his tag
Sitting out an losing 20 mil is dumb
The problem is if he waits till the deadline he misses most of the season

Honestly, I'm 100% confidence he'll sign the tag AND have the surgery in time to be ready for regular season. He and his agent are stupid. Pretty sure they understand UNTIL he signs a long-term anything negative can impact his value whether it with the Cowboys or 31 other teams. In fact, it would not surprise me at all if he doesn't get the deal done, he quietly takes care business getting preparing for 2020 free agency. With our luck, bet he leads the league in sacks. Don't even think about a 3rd tag......it would cost something in the range of $28M if I remember correctly.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Fans are funny to me. They see the Cowboys don’t spend money on free agents....yet they don’t want them to sign their own guys even if it is overpaying. So what does saving money do? It allows you to do what? Hold it?
And then we have to go and draft another one and wait three years for him to turn into Lawrence if he ever does.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Personally I would tag him for the coming year instead of paying him a huge contract.
That's part of the problem...they have tagged him but he refuses to work under another tag contract.........the longer this drags on the more risk is taken since he staill has to have surgery, then rehab back into playing shape.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
"Cherry-picking" involves omitting selected plays, games, or seasons from the sample.

So, a sample of all the plays from each player's last 32 games is not cherry-picking.
It's disingenuous when you claim the same amount of games but only use the last 2 seasons which happen to be the ONLY 2 games Mack has ever missed. So yeah, whatever you say.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just because Chicago overpaid doesn't mean we have to. You can cherry pick stats for all the high caliber players and compare them to the highest salaries at their respective positions and pay them accordingly but if you do you are left with 4 or 5 stars and a roster full of low paid players.

I have no doubt that Dlaw, Cooper, Zeke, Jones, Jaylon, Amari, Frederick, Martin, Tron, and even Dak can urge their agents to cherry pick stats and make the case that they each belong amongst the highest paid at their respective positions.

If they are all that damn good then why can't they win more?

If DLaw is being offered 20 mil per year which is the highest salary a DE has ever been offered in the NFL and he is not happy with that then trade his azz and send a message to the next round of contract seekers that we will offer you a fair salary but we cannot afford to break the bank for any one player when we have so many deserving.

Indeed. If he's not going to accept the number he originally asked for, then trade him and use the pick to get a replacement (or, as I've stated that I'd like, get Dexter Lawrence). Now he's playing games with our FO, and the FO should see it as such. If they cave to him, then other players will do that. I'd say just trade him, and save the money for other players and draft his replacement.

DallasMike

Reaction score
Personally I would tag him for the coming year instead of paying him a huge contract.
That would be a good idea. But the problem is he has to sign the tag. If he waits longer and signs, then has surgery it could cost him a good portion of the season. So then Dallas is on the hook for the tag and he misses a lot of time.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It's disingenuous when you claim the same amount of games but only use the last 2 seasons which happen to be the ONLY 2 games Mack has ever missed. So yeah, whatever you say.
I say 32 consecutive games isn't cherry-picking. If you looked at the last 10 games, then skipped a couple, then the previous 15 games, then left out another one, then included 7 games before that, you'd be cherry-picking.

So called because you're only picking the ones you like.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He asked for 20 just a few weeks ago. We come up to 20 and offer him what he wants likely so he has his surgery done and is ready to go for camps or at least some of it and him or his agent raises it to 22.5. Getting to where I would side with the FO if they decided no thanks.
He asked for 22-23 range

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I say 32 consecutive games isn't cherry-picking. If you looked at the last 10 games, then skipped a couple, then the previous 15 games, then left out another one, then included 7 games before that, you'd be cherry-picking.

So called because you're only picking the ones you like.
It's incomplete data. Cherry picking by definition means incomplete evidence while ignoring a significant portion.
But you can define it however you like.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It's incomplete data. Cherry picking by definition means incomplete evidence while ignoring a significant portion.
But you can define it however you like.

How is comparing the last two seasons for DLaw and Mack incomplete data?

You look at every play of every game for the last two seasons to get a sense of what each players CURRENT ability is. What a player did three years ago has no bearing on what a team is going to offer right now. Teams pay for what you are going to do, not what you have done in the past.

So how do you best project what a player is going to do in the future? You look at his most recent body of work, preferably more than one season because that might be an outlier. So look at the past two seasons and base your contract off that level.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How is comparing the last two seasons for DLaw and Mack incomplete data?

You look at every play of every game for the last two seasons to get a sense of what each players CURRENT ability is. What a player did three years ago has no bearing on what a team is going to offer right now. Teams pay for what you are going to do, not what you have done in the past.

So how do you best project what a player is going to do in the future? You look at his most recent body of work, preferably more than one season because that might be an outlier. So look at the past two seasons and base your contract off that level.
Really? This needs an explanation? I get the most current hunk of games but it's conveniently the only two games missed by Mack and the only 2 seasons Lawrence played a full season. Incomplete. I choose to use the entire body of work to get an accurate history of time missed.
And, once again Lawrence is injured and needs another surgery.
That's my opinion. If that doesn't fit your agenda, oh well!
Mack > Lawrence. This shouldn't even be debated.