Twitter: Sturm: Jaylon Smith looked disinterested

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
And yet some coaches are much better at getting players to abide by it than others.

Different teams have different players which nets different results. The Pats just cut Josh Gordon in large part reportedly due to work ethic.

Sydla

Reaction score
Different teams have different players which nets different results. The Pats just cut Josh Gordon in large part reportedly due to work ethic.

Funny how some coaches are able to get better results in terms of effort and focus than others. Sure, NE has to cut a guy here or there but most fall in line because Belichick has created a culture that demands it.

Garrett has not. Smith, if one wants to think he's playing lazy and without any focus, is a symptom of a bigger problem. He's not just a one off case like a Gordon.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Funny how some coaches are able to get better results in terms of effort and focus than others. Sure, NE has to cut a guy here or there but most fall in line because Belichick has created a culture that demands it.

Garrett has not. Smith, if one wants to think he's playing lazy and without any focus, is a symptom of a bigger problem. He's not just a one off case like a Gordon.

So there’s a chronic problem of this with the Cowboys?

Names?

Sydla

Reaction score
So there’s a chronic problem of this with the Cowboys?

Names?

You think this team plays with discipline and focus and has a strong culture that would weed out apparent slackers like Smith?

And guys like Elliott, Dez, Lawrence, etc have been called out at times by fans for uninspiring play, for apparently taking plays off, etc.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You think this team plays with discipline and focus like the Pats?

The concepts of “discipline and focus” are generic terms. Any team that loses a game can be accused of lacking “discipline and focus.”

I think Jaylon’s issues are acutely specific to him (I say so because I’ve seen him do similar things in other games many times). We can be accused of having talent issue, but I don’t see guys like Heath, Lawerence, Woods, et cetera, loafing or blatantly lacking effort.

BTW, I absolutely think Maranelli and Garrett are problems so I’m not defending them. I just can’t reasonably lay every ill that occurs on the field at their feet.

Creeper

Reaction score
This entire team with the exception of a couple of players, is soft. I have no idea who is coaching the LBs but my goodness Smith and LVE are soft. And where was Lee on this play? Never take Woods, Lawrence and Lee all out on the same play. Its an invitation to attack the side of the field.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Elliott's holdout made this happen.

Some guys get paid and mail it in.

54 is one of those guys.

Theres no real way of knowing when someone may pull this, but the idea of extending players before they hit UFA needs to end.

I doubt it ever will. Jerry wants to be liked. All part of the awful culture dysfunction that may never go away.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I swear Jaylon is the elephant in the room nobody really wants to address head on. It's not an injury issue with him, it's an effort issue. In a decade of watching Sean Lee play, I've never seen him make this type of piss poor effort on a play. For him to play like this immediately after getting a contract and getting a captainship is disgraceful. And no it's not just one play, we see this type of little resistance taking on blocks several times a game from him.

He just needs to sign Rod’s hustle pledge and we’ll be good. Maybe he should be wearing his shades while he plays so he looks super cool.

Sydla

Reaction score
The concepts of “discipline and focus” are generic terms. Any team that loses a game can be accused of lacking “discipline and focus.”

I think Jaylon’s issues are acutely specific to him (I say so because I’ve seen him do similar things in other games many times). We can be accused of having talent issue, but I don’t see guys like Heath, Lawerence, Woods, et cetera, loafing or blatantly lacking effort.

BTW, I absolutely think Maranelli and Garrett are problems so I’m not defending them. I just can’t reasonably lay every ill that occurs on the field at their feet.

Personally, I think Jaylon's problems are a result of mostly physical issues. For example, he's never been good at getting off blocks and has often tried to basically run around them.

I struggle to think a guy that went through the **** he went through, the long, painful rehab that he went through and the effort and work he had to complete to just get onto the field would then just show up and play with no effort. That makes little sense to me. He seemed to play with effort last year. Are you suggesting he got paid so now he's going to slack off?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Personally, I think Jaylon's problems are a result of mostly physical issues. For example, he's never been good at getting off blocks and has often tried to basically run around them.

I struggle to think a guy that went through the **** he went through, the long, painful rehab that he went through and the effort and work he had to complete to just get onto the field would then just show up and play with no effort. That makes little sense to me. He seemed to play with effort last year. Are you suggesting he got paid so now he's going to slack off?

No, I think it’s very likely physical, mental (due to the injuries), and poor technique.

Sydla

Reaction score
Elliott's holdout made this happen.

Some guys get paid and mail it in.

54 is one of those guys.

Theres no real way of knowing when someone may pull this, but the idea of extending players before they hit UFA needs to end.

I doubt it ever will. Jerry wants to be liked. All part of the awful culture dysfunction that may never go away.

This is kind of a silly point. We signed Collins before UFA and Martin and Frederick and T. Smith................ they all worked out.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He is not disinterested, he is just not going to make a hard, change of direction cut. He just does not have the confidence to do it.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, I think it’s very likely physical, mental (due to the injuries), and poor technique.

I can buy that. I don't think he's suddenly a low effort guy or disinterested like some are trying to argue here.

I also think our scheme doesn't do him (or LVE for that matter who has also been just as crappy as Smith with less criticism) any favors.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I swear Jaylon is the elephant in the room nobody really wants to address head on. It's not an injury issue with him, it's an effort issue. In a decade of watching Sean Lee play, I've never seen him make this type of piss poor effort on a play. For him to play like this immediately after getting a contract and getting a captainship is disgraceful. And no it's not just one play, we see this type of little resistance taking on blocks several times a game from him.

I wanted to say he just realized he'd overrun the play, but I can't. He could have made some type of effort to come back to it. That was pathetic.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Looks like VanderEsch gap to fill and he doesn't hit it full on he hesitated

LVE doesn't commit until he's sure it's not play action which is why play-action numbers are through the roof the last several years.