Twitter: Sturm: Jaylon Smith looked disinterested

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not a good look, although, there are signs of other guys on the defense just going through the motions. They look plagued with poor morale.

The defensive scheme is extremely faulty and they do appear to be quite unenthused with it, by all appearances. Can't say as I blame them.

Last edited:

Brooksey

Reaction score
Jaylon's not disinterested.

Not many inside 235 LB's in today's league step up and take on the running 310 lb guard, anchor him, keep the outside hand free and then slide off to make the play. Those days are over unless you have 265 Rolando McClain size. They all use speed and Jaylon is no exception.

Based on the guard's movement on this play Jaylon's job was to take away the outside and force the RB to the inside for the Will to make the play which he did, same with Joe Thomas. This was Covington's and LVE's play to make. LVE was late to the hole... terrible.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
#95, Covington, also got held on that play, making it possible for the RB to cut back into his lane to make the play. That hold made all the difference.

InTheZone

Reaction score
On a positive note, we’ve got Heath behind him to make plays.
Lol heath will get blamed for the linebackers not doing their job. You know there'll be people getting mad at him for not making the tackle before the rb gets 5 yards

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Not many inside 235 LB's in today's league step up and take on the running 310 lb guard, anchor him, keep the outside hand free and then slide off to make the play. Those days are over unless you have 265 Rolando McClain size. They all use speed and Jaylon is no exception.

Based on the guard's movement on this play Jaylon's job was to take away the outside and force the RB to the inside for the Will to make the play which he did, same with Joe Thomas. This was Covington's and LVE's play to make. LVE was late to the hole... terrible.

What was Jaylon’s job here?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah. I watched it multiple times. Looked like he had a bad angle and got juked. I don't see any signs of drop foot in that video.

If we're talking about the same video, watch to see the turf kick up as his left foot drags.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Another play that comes to mind was last year against the Texans, on that long catch/run by DeAndre Hopkins that basically sealed the game, Jaylon was loafing in “pursuit.” D-Law actually chased the played from the DE position 30-yards down the field and almost made the tackle.

You can’t see Jaylon on this angle (need the All-22) but I’m posting it to trigger some memories of the specific play.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If one play defines a player, then why not show one of his better plays and make the headline read "Jaylon Smith is unstoppable?".

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That Jaylon clip reminded me of Garrett a little. Flashing the toothpaste-ad smile. Looking the part (for what ever that means -- I don't see why it matters a bit but to a lot of people it does) but not performing the part. Straight up lying with the goofy cliches that sound nice but simply aren't true.

I didn't like how he mentioned DLaw's money. What freaking difference does that make when you're underachieving like this?

Makes me think they're all just worried about the glitz and glamour and money. But I guess he can demonstrate he's picking things back up with a sack of Jeff Driskel... And then a nice swipe.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
#95, Covington, also got held on that play, making it possible for the RB to cut back into his lane to make the play. That hold made all the difference.

Yes, Covington was held twice on the same play.

Initially the OL gets his hand on the outside of Covington's shoulder pads. Tyron got called for doing that this season even though his hand was only there for a moment.

Then the OL has his arm wrapped around Covington as Covinging is moving away from him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is a reason that LVE was late moving to the outside.

The Cowboys LBs have been getting boxed out from moving side to side on zone running plays by an OLineman coming out to block them.

This has been a problem since the Rams playoff game and is scheme related with regards to why an OL is in place to make that block.

Look at the image below and notice LVE, the OL coming to block him and the RB.

If LVE was more to the outside at the point shown in this image, the RB would cut back inside and the OL would box LVE out from getting back to the inside.

The 2nd image shows where LVE could have been if he had shot to the outside.
- I didn't move the OL but he likely would have been closer to LVE than shown if LVE was in that position.

Praxit

Reaction score
I've watched it 10+ times now. I am stunned each and every time. This is disgraceful. Jaylon has always had trouble taking on blocks and shedding them effectively (even in his good year last year) and on this play it looks like he's simply accepted the fact that he simply cannot do it.
...as someone else stated. The D was gassed. Jaylon is always hitting on high gear. Viks were running fools that night.