Twitter: Sturm on Zeke contract

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First time hearing any Zeke numbers.....Strum's usually pretty reliable but these numbers are odd, especially saying they're coming from Stephen

I can see it happening.

Learn absolutely nothing from the Todd Gurley situation other than how to overpay for a running back and end up regretting it.

Does nobody else see the line where it mentions "to cut him"?

Let it play out, let him hold out. I'll plan for it by having a better backup running back than I do right now, or by drafting his eventual replacement.

But take a look around the league and show me the happy endings when teams give these second big money contracts to running backs. Good luck in advance!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Have not posted in a long time....mainly because of my frustration with this front office...but mostly Garrett. Anyway....if Stephen/Jerry do not want to pay for players that are top 3 - 5 at their position....then they need to get a head coach that can actually devise a scheme....on both offense AND defense....that allows lesser talented players...to perform above their heads. But if you are going to turn around....and stick the ball in Zekes gut on 1st and 2nd down(in the face of 8 and 9 man fronts)....and then ask him to catch it or pass protect on 3rd down....that kind of usage COSTS!

I said it from day 1....to get proper return on using a pick that high on a RB...was to ensure you get highly productive 7 - 8 years out of that RB. So any suggestion of running him into the ground and dumping him is a bad idea. You should use Zeke in a manner that keeps him fresh for the 4th quarter and fresh for the playoffs. Once you commit a top 5 pick to that position...you cannot treat him like any other RB. First of all..he is that GOOD. Secondly....since he is that GOOD....do what is needed to have him around for a long time. I would much rather him get 100 yards on 20 carries...especially if his runs at the ends of games are productive...then to get 100 yards on 26 - 30 carries...and he is getting stuffed short of the first down when we are trying to close games.

The Neanderthal way of playing football is totally wrong. Which is why I have stopped posting. Because this head coach looks at football..in 2019...through a lens formed decades ago. The idea of needing the best players at every position...to be better/more physical than the man in front of them...is why we are stuck in constant "trust the process" mode. We are always 1 year away from the perfect roster...and then...then we will be ready to make our run. Somebody must have forgotten to tell Doug Pederson or Sean McVeigh that they are breaking the "process" rule!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I can see it happening.

Learn absolutely nothing from the Todd Gurley situation other than how to overpay for a running back and end up regretting it.

Does nobody else see the line where it mentions "to cut him"?

Let it play out, let him hold out. I'll plan for it by having a better backup running back than I do right now, or by drafting his eventual replacement.

But take a look around the league and show me the happy endings when teams give these second big money contracts to running backs. Good luck in advance!

Gurley is a very good RB but he has also dealt with knee injuries dating back to college. Zeke has not had to deal with injuries and to me it is the injuries that shorten the career of RB's more than anything. As far as a RB on 2nd contract worked out great for Lynch and the Seahawks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gurley is a very good RB but he has also dealt with knee injuries dating back to college. Zeke has not had to deal with injuries and to me it is the injuries that shorten the career of RB's more than anything. As far as a RB on 2nd contract worked out great for Lynch and the Seahawks.

Did it? How did that situation end?

Sydla

Reaction score
First time hearing any Zeke numbers.....Strum's usually pretty reliable but these numbers are odd, especially saying they're coming from Stephen

Stephen Jones was quoted a month or so ago when talking contracts as saying that Elliott's deal will likely start where Gurley's contract is.

All Sturm is saying here is that that if the negotiations start where Gurley's contract currently is, the Cowboys are going to have MASSIVE cap hits for a TB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Have not posted in a long time....mainly because of my frustration with this front office...but mostly Garrett. Anyway....if Stephen/Jerry do not want to pay for players that are top 3 - 5 at their position....then they need to get a head coach that can actually devise a scheme....on both offense AND defense....that allows lesser talented players...to perform above their heads. But if you are going to turn around....and stick the ball in Zekes gut on 1st and 2nd down(in the face of 8 and 9 man fronts)....and then ask him to catch it or pass protect on 3rd down....that kind of usage COSTS!

I said it from day 1....to get proper return on using a pick that high on a RB...was to ensure you get highly productive 7 - 8 years out of that RB. So any suggestion of running him into the ground and dumping him is a bad idea. You should use Zeke in a manner that keeps him fresh for the 4th quarter and fresh for the playoffs. Once you commit a top 5 pick to that position...you cannot treat him like any other RB. First of all..he is that GOOD. Secondly....since he is that GOOD....do what is needed to have him around for a long time. I would much rather him get 100 yards on 20 carries...especially if his runs at the ends of games are productive...then to get 100 yards on 26 - 30 carries...and he is getting stuffed short of the first down when we are trying to close games.

The Neanderthal way of playing football is totally wrong. Which is why I have stopped posting. Because this head coach looks at football..in 2019...through a lens formed decades ago. The idea of needing the best players at every position...to be better/more physical than the man in front of them...is why we are stuck in constant "trust the process" mode. We are always 1 year away from the perfect roster...and then...then we will be ready to make our run. Somebody must have forgotten to tell Doug Pederson or Sean McVeigh that they are breaking the "process" rule!

This is such backwards thinking.

You invested the 4th pick in a TB you don't pull him off the field to limit his touches so you can preserve him for Year 7 when you are paying him like $18MM a year. That's insanity.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We have the 5th year option.
This really is a topic for next offseason--before his 5th year begins--unless they can work out a friendly deal beforehand.