Twitter: Sturm on Zeke contract

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We have the 5th year option.
This really is a topic for next offseason--before his 5th year begins--unless they can work out a friendly deal beforehand.
the long term deal and year to year deal are just about equal

might as well extend him and get the 2 or 3 Team Options in 2022-23 with no guaranteed money

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Prediction: Zeke isnt dumb and wont hold out only to get a smaller contract a year later on a crappy team like Bell.

Yeah, how'd that all work out for the Steelers?

Pretty much ended up closing their window after four straight playoff trips.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Love Zeke, but no. I can't tie up this much cap space for a TB.

That is, unless you get another QB on a rookie deal...

Trading Zeke would not be the worst thing if you could get a first rounder for him.

He's worth a 1st rounder and if you have the cap space then you could trade for him.

I'd rather keep Zeke and go find another QB because I think Zeke is worth large money and Dak isn't.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'd rather keep Zeke and go find another QB because I think Zeke is worth large money and Dak isn't.

I like Dak a lot. I just think if your QB is not elite, then the model of having a rookie QB contract + strong lines & great skill players is the easiest to win with.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like Dak a lot. I just think if your QB is not elite, then the model of having a rookie QB contract + strong lines & great skill players is the easiest to win with.

I like Dak too but the QB market has gotten stupid and paying average QB's like they are top 5 at their position is ridiculous.

WE're the Cowboys. Not the Dak's.

If we couldn't win with Romo making a ton of money then it's not going to happen with Dak.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Have not posted in a long time....mainly because of my frustration with this front office...but mostly Garrett. Anyway....if Stephen/Jerry do not want to pay for players that are top 3 - 5 at their position....then they need to get a head coach that can actually devise a scheme....on both offense AND defense....that allows lesser talented players...to perform above their heads. But if you are going to turn around....and stick the ball in Zekes gut on 1st and 2nd down(in the face of 8 and 9 man fronts)....and then ask him to catch it or pass protect on 3rd down....that kind of usage COSTS!

I said it from day 1....to get proper return on using a pick that high on a RB...was to ensure you get highly productive 7 - 8 years out of that RB. So any suggestion of running him into the ground and dumping him is a bad idea. You should use Zeke in a manner that keeps him fresh for the 4th quarter and fresh for the playoffs. Once you commit a top 5 pick to that position...you cannot treat him like any other RB. First of all..he is that GOOD. Secondly....since he is that GOOD....do what is needed to have him around for a long time. I would much rather him get 100 yards on 20 carries...especially if his runs at the ends of games are productive...then to get 100 yards on 26 - 30 carries...and he is getting stuffed short of the first down when we are trying to close games.

The Neanderthal way of playing football is totally wrong. Which is why I have stopped posting. Because this head coach looks at football..in 2019...through a lens formed decades ago. The idea of needing the best players at every position...to be better/more physical than the man in front of them...is why we are stuck in constant "trust the process" mode. We are always 1 year away from the perfect roster...and then...then we will be ready to make our run. Somebody must have forgotten to tell Doug Pederson or Sean McVeigh that they are breaking the "process" rule!
yeah it is the jones boys at work! they are gonna "get" garrett a SB!
They have no idea how to properly use elliot.

Tussinman

Reaction score
We have the 5th year option.
This really is a topic for next offseason--before his 5th year begins--unless they can work out a friendly deal beforehand.
He'll pull a Zack Martin and refuse a 5th year

5th year is for players that show flashes during there rookie deal like Byron Jones, it's not players that are multi season all-pro and arguably #1 in the league at there position

5th year and franchise tag would actually be stupid since both of those could almost cover the guaranteed portion of a 4 year deal

DFWJC

Reaction score
He'll pull a Zack Martin and refuse a 5th year

5th year is for players that show flashes during there rookie deal like Byron Jones, it's not players that are multi season all-pro and arguably #1 in the league at there position

5th year and franchise tag would actually be stupid since both of those could almost cover the guaranteed portion of a 4 year deal
The 5th year is the team's option for 1st round picks
Pretty much standard
But yeah, if someone looks amazing, teams may try to extend after year 3, even if they have that 5th year option

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
how aer the cowboys going to pay all of these players these high dollar contracts under the cap don't see how u can and have a team that is competetive

aria

Reaction score
how aer the cowboys going to pay all of these players these high dollar contracts under the cap don't see how u can and have a team that is competetive
They may not be able to which is why they already screwed the pooch. A lot of teams have success by loading up on talent in FA while they have their QB still under a rookie contract. Cowboys decided to try and look smarter than everyone else, as usual, and pay less for less talent. It’s not impossible for them to succeed but the clock is ticking and I think a few FA signings over the past 2 years could have made a big difference.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The 5th year is the team's option for 1st round picks
Pretty much standard
But yeah, if someone looks amazing, teams may try to extend after year 3, even if they have that 5th year option
5th year was designed as basically insurance if a player is taking long to develop or has significant injuries during the rookie deal (almost every 5th year player tagged falls into this category). No way Zeke plays on the 5th

DFWJC

Reaction score
5th year was designed as basically insurance if a player is taking long to develop or has significant injuries during the rookie deal (almost every 5th year player tagged falls into this category). No way Zeke plays on the 5th
I said extend Zeke before his 5th.
Extending him now would be a year early. I'm ok with that, snce he already makes a ton due to being a top 5 pick, but waiting a year does not make him play year 5 under his rookie deal.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I would extend Zeke now and limit the years in the future where he may not be effective. Tie him up now for 4-5 more years and be done with it.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I said extend Zeke before his 5th.
Extending him now would be a year early. I'm ok with that, snce he already makes a ton due to being a top 5 pick, but waiting a year does not make him play year 5 under his rookie deal.
I know you said before. I was basically just adding to what you had said in regards to the 5th year being standard (I added it's only standard if they are injury prone or taking a longer time to develop).

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Forever and a day ago (2008 I think?), Football Outsiders wrote an article called The Curse of 2100. In the heyday of the abusive-volume feature back, they looked for signs that would predict an RB's decline and the biggest red flag they found was when an RB reached 2,100 career carries. It's surprisingly accurate - I just looked up Marshawn Lynch and LeSean McCoy's career stats, and sure enough, they fell off somewhere around the 2,000-2,200 carry window.

Right now, Zeke has 858 career carries. If you consider 300 carries a year to be a reasonable estimate, he's got four or maybe five years of peak production left.

I believe that you can get your money's worth from an elite RB - look at Lynch going Beast Mode or McCoy rushing for 5 YPC on some crappy Buffalo teams - but obviously you don't want to guarantee top dollar for a player's decline phase. So I think a win-win scenario is to let Zeke play out year 4 of his rookie year, then give him 3 years guaranteed a la Gurley. He gets paid sooner, he gets paid like the top RB, we lock him up and save our franchise tags, we aren't on the hook for his likely decline years. The more guaranteed money he and his agent want past age 27 or 28, the much less likely I become to make a deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gurley contract is 14 mill a year avg. Given the fact Elliott led all players with an average of 133.4 yards per scrimmage in '18. His 2,001 yards accounted for 34 percent of the team's offensive production. I could see Dallas getting Zeke extended

Hardline

Reaction score
I can't believe Jerry can't find a way to pay a portion of these huge contracts under the table and keep it off the salary cap records.
Theres nothing saying a player can do off the field side work for millions of dollars .