CFZ Sturm was dead wrong about Dak Prescott

khiladi

Reaction score
In the Athletic, Sturm wrote an article entitled, “Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is 29, It is Time to Win.” Since we can’t post from that magazine as per the filter on this forum, I suggest you Google it and read it. The reality is Sturm has been the typical fanboy of Dak and he often took jabs at Romo at Dak’s expense. But even Sturm can’t make excuses anymore for Dak.

Sturm has been holding on for years the notion that Dak has been getting harshly criticized because Romo fans, since their boy Romk got the blame, they would make sure Dak got it worse, which is a crock of garbage, as the excuses for Romo were legitimate, while the excuses for Dak were not. In the August 12th article in the Athletic Sturm basically says Dak is 29 and he no longer has excuses.

The main point I want to emphasize, and it’s clear to anybody reading it, what “the haters” were saying is true and that “teams figured the offense out”, though in reality is was, Dak is quite possibly the most over-rated player in NFL history. Sturm points out in weeks 1 to 8, Dallas was the most blitzed team in the league. After that, teams stopped bringing the pressure and Dak didn’t see the man coverage looks regularly, and the offense took a nosedive. They were the 22nd most blitzed team after week 8 when all was said and done. Dallas offense saw just as much cover 2 and cover 3 defenses as any other team from then on. The 49ers played zone defense as a staple and could get pressure without bringing extra rushers and we all know how bad Dak looked. If it weren’t for JG almost giving them the game with one of his typical awful INTs he is known for that essentially gave Dallas the ball in scoring position the game would have been a complete blowout. Even Sturm admits the wins in the last half of the season were against bums and Eagles junior varsity team and were empty calories, per how on words.

Facts are we’ve been saying Dak sucks against zone coverage, to the point he becomes a mediocrity. What masked his warts against zone is his lack of risk-taking so he resorts to short dump offs and check-downs which use to keep the INTs down. He’s “mentally weak” as a QB. He’s been getting away with it, because teams were forced to bring pressure because of how good the OL and RG were. I was saying I don’t even know why defenses do it do much even during those days, because the data was always there. Dak is horrible at anticipating his WRs getting open and can’t process the whole field. He goes into a shell against and takes the check-down. Teams use to give way too much respect to the OL and RG to the point they made it much easier for Dak to look better than he actually was with all the explosive talent he has around him.

What do people expect Moore to do? Sturm even admitted it’s the same trend with Dak with each year, including blaming the coaches. He said what we said, which is the same red zone issues pop up and his performance of third down is abysmal. He also basically said the “young and developing QB” excuse no longer holds.

I mean yeah, this owner is dysfunctional and nothing signals dysfunction more than making Dak your franchise QB. So we can admit that Jerry Jones is a buffoon, but we can also admit Dak exemplifies the buffoonery of Jerry. We can also admit that Sturm was dead wrong about his boy Dak Prescott.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not a big fan of Kellen Moore, but he's in a tough spot having to revolve an offense around such a limited QB.

Dak can no longer rely on a dominant OL or run game or loaded WR corps, partly because he's taking up 20% of the team's salary space himself.

And now, defenses know exactly how to beat him.

Again, very tough spot for Moore to be in.

I respect Sturm for admitting he may have been wrong about Dak. That takes some maturity (way more than many on this board have).

Nav22

Reaction score
You people are obsessed.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Dak played like garbage in Week 1. He’s been a good QB for most of his career. We’ll see how he responds when he gets healthy.

In the meantime, go Cooper Rush and go Cowboys!

That’s literally all there is to it.

Keep up the cult-ish behavior though. Your anti-Dak crusade depends on it!!!!!!!
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

bigE79

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Kellen Moore, but he's in a tough spot having to revolve an offense around such a limited QB.

Dak can no longer rely on a dominant OL or run game or loaded WR corps, partly because he's taking up 20% of the team's salary space himself.

And now, defenses know exactly how to beat him.

Again, very tough spot for Moore to be in.

I respect Sturm for admitting he may have been wrong about Dak. That takes some maturity (way more than many on this board have).
Some of us has been saying this since 2016...this is nothing new.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not trying to be a hater, but I believe Dak has regressed significantly against zone coverages.

He gets visibly confused when secondaries drop back into zones. He is flustered and panicked.

Unless I just forgot about it, I don't remember him being as frazzled against zone coverages in years 2-4.

The Jon Kita effect? Kitna is gone and Dak has gotten worse ever since?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I mean is it really respectable, when it becomes patently clear to even your grandma that there is nothing to defend anymore?
It's much more respectable compared to the ones we have around here that are 100% willing to go down with the Dak ship.

I mean, they're doing smear campaign threads about Cooper Rush for crying out loud. A QB that nobody really believes is anything special. That's how much they hated winning that game with Rush at QB.

There's literally a thread trying to dog Cooper Rush because his COMPLTED PASS ON 4TH DOWN FOR 1ST DOWN wasn't a perfect throw.

So yes, even if it took 6 years of play, it's still respectable to admit you were wrong compared to the alternative.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
In the Atlantic, Sturm wrote an article entitled, “Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is 29, It is Time to Win.” Since we can’t post from that magazine as per the filter on this forum, I suggest you Google it and read it. The reality is Sturm has been the typical fanboy of Dak and he often took jabs at Romo at Dak’s expense. But even Sturm can’t make excuses anymore for Dak.

I read this also ( mentioned it in a few threads ), good article. He does a good job pointing out some serious flaws Dak has to overcome to take the next step. Your summation makes it sound a bit more negative than it really is. But yea, he goes after Dak hard.....as if he's at a crossroads. The time is NOW.......no more markers

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a hater, but I believe Dak has regressed significantly against zone coverages.

He gets visibly confused when secondaries drop back into zones. He is flustered and panicked.

Unless I just forgot about it, I don't remember him being as frazzled against zone coverages in years 2-4.

The Jon Kita effect? Kitna is gone and Dak has gotten worse ever since?

No, this has always been the case. That’s why even in his worst years, like 2017, he was still the highest-rated QB against the blitz. I’ve says before this stat is deceptive, because teams blitz for a variety of reasons, including their inability to generate pressure, do they risk exposing their backfield. Against guys like Hurts, Quinn was bringing the pressure, while having his DBs play aggressive man. On the other hand, with Herbert he has his DBs play playing way off and heavy zone. This is why even mediocre QBs low Heineke with the Commanders was one of the best QBs against the blitz last year. Against Romo, teams would just drop back in cover 2 and Jason Garrett couldn’t field a rushing game to save his life, so defenses weren’t worried about the threat of a run game until we lucked into Callahan. So teams didn’t have to bring many rushers and even when they did, Garrett’s passing game, coupled with Houck being past his prime, there would be extra rushers running free path to Garrett. JG showed his “skill” in that department once against in NY with the Giants.

In 2018, there were articles like this:

https://sportdfw.com/2018/10/24/dallas-cowboys-zone-coverage-is-daks-kryptonite/amp/

The following article demonstrates how Amari made Dak’s numbers sky-rocket against man, but he still sucked against zone. And the week they played the Colts he went heavy cover 2, the Cowboys got shut out. Amari’s numbers took a nose dive, because Dak couldn’t get him the ball.

https://www.sportsinfosolutions.com...-amari-cooper-face-challenge-with-colts-zone/

This year everybody has finally been in on the action:

https://sportdfw.com/2022/06/20/toughest-coverages-cowboys-dak-prescott/amp/

Of course this guy tries to make excuses that it was in part the OL, but that’s not the trend with Dak, but we saw how that worked the first game of this season, followed by how Rush looked behind the same OL. Dak in particular looked horrible when defenses started disguising the coverages in the single-high safety looks, showing pressure but backing off.

He’s just horrible at processing the field.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
In the Atlantic, Sturm wrote an article entitled, “Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is 29, It is Time to Win.” Since we can’t post from that magazine as per the filter on this forum, I suggest you Google it and read it. The reality is Sturm has been the typical fanboy of Dak and he often took jabs at Romo at Dak’s expense. But even Sturm can’t make excuses anymore for Dak.

Sturm has been holding on for years the notion that Dak has been getting harshly criticized because Romo fans, since their boy Romk got the blame, they would make sure Dak got it worse, which is a crock of garbage, as the excuses for Romo were legitimate, while the excuses for Dak were not. In the August 12th article in the Atlantic Sturm basically says Dak is 29 and he no longer has excuses.

The main point I want to emphasize, and it’s clear to anybody reading it, what “the haters” were saying is true and that “teams figured the offense out”, though in reality is was, Dak is quite possibly the most over-rated player in NFL history. Sturm points out in weeks 1 to 8, Dallas was the most blitzed team in the league. After that, teams stopped bringing the pressure and Dak didn’t see the man coverage looks regularly, and the offense took a nosedive. They were the 22nd most blitzed team after week 8 when all was said and done. Dallas offense saw just as much cover 2 and cover 3 defenses as any other team from then on. The 49ers played zone defense as a staple and could get pressure without bringing extra rushers and we all know how bad Dak looked. If it weren’t for JG almost giving them the game with one of his typical awful INTs he is known for that essentially gave Dallas the ball in scoring position the game would have been a complete blowout. Even Sturm admits the wins in the last half of the season were against bums and Eagles junior varsity team and were empty calories, per how on words.

Facts are we’ve been saying Dak sucks against zone coverage, to the point he becomes a mediocrity. What masked his warts against zone is his lack of risk-taking so he resorts to short dump offs and check-downs which use to keep the INTs down. He’s “mentally weak” as a QB. He’s been getting away with it, because teams were forced to bring pressure because of how good the OL and RG were. I was saying I don’t even know why defenses do it do much even during those days, because the data was always there. Dak is horrible at anticipating his WRs getting open and can’t process the whole field. He goes into a shell against and takes the check-down. Teams use to give way too much respect to the OL and RG to the point they made it much easier for Dak to look better than he actually was with all the explosive talent he has around him.

What do people expect Moore to do? Sturm even admitted it’s the same trend with Dak with each year, including blaming the coaches. He said what we said, which is the same red zone issues pop up and his performance of third down is abysmal. He also basically said the “young and developing QB” excuse no longer holds.

I mean yeah, this owner is dysfunctional and nothing signals dysfunction more than making Dak your franchise QB. So we can admit that Jerry Jones is a buffoon, but we can also admit Dak exemplifies the buffoonery of Jerry. We can also admit that Sturm was dead wrong about his boy Dak Prescott.
What a fantastic post :clap:

Ken

Reaction score

Sturm has been holding on for years the notion that Dak has been getting harshly criticized because Romo fans, since their boy Romk got the blame, they would make sure Dak got it worse, which is a crock of garbage, as the excuses for Romo were legitimate, while the excuses for Dak were not. In the August 12th article in the Atlantic Sturm basically says Dak is 29 and he no longer has excuses.

Holy...the leaps of logic are astounding in the twisted world of Dak hate.

So, you expect me to believe, that Dak being one of the best qbs against the blitz in the entire league, is somehow a negative? Isn't that reading a defense bud?

All i have heard is that he can't? Can you guys make up your minds?

You do know that the qbs (usually young qbs but it extends to useless qbs like Wentz) are the ones who see the incessant blitzing right? You also understand that the great ones carve up the blitzes, right?

You and your cohorts and Sturm are all delusional.

Sorry.

There are also obvious reasons why we struggled vs the loose coverages and some of it is Dak but MOST of it is other reasons which I will not waste my breath on here but I have gone over ad nauseum.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
It's much more respectable compared to the ones we have around here that are 100% willing to go down with the Dak ship.

I mean, they're doing smear campaign threads about Cooper Rush for crying out loud. A QB that nobody really believes is anything special. That's how much they hated winning that game with Rush at QB.

There's literally a thread trying to dog Cooper Rush because his COMPLTED PASS ON 4TH DOWN FOR 1ST DOWN wasn't a perfect throw.

So yes, even if it took 6 years of play, it's still respectable to admit you were wrong compared to the alternative.
I haven't even commented in that thread because it's beyond embarrassing and the indication is that the initial poster isn't a Dallas Cowboys fan. I noted the hate towards Romo as well claiming that he was too pro Rush whilst commentating. You couldn't make it up. Romo has bit his tongue in every game commenting on Prescott watching him butcher the offense most of the time yet he tries so hard to be positive so that those doughnuts don't think he's hating on a team he loves.