Success of season rest on Daks health

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, he had some issues at the U in college too.

What issues?

Not at all. Their off field thuggish and or criminal behavior certainly leaves much not to desire.

Without their football skills and contributions to the Cowboys I doubt they are guys we’d like personally.

There's nothing thuggish about Dez Bryant.......i'd even say that about Irvin prior to coming to the Cowboys but if you want to say him stabbing a teammate in the neck is thug behavior then so be it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you are all in, you are all in. I think Booger looks at this just as you do, Prescott goes down for any appreciable time, it's next season time.

There doesn't seem to be those guys like Randall Cunningham, Bernie Kosar, Steve Beurlein and Vinny Testeverde around any more. All backups that won games for the Cowboys.

Kosar was one of my favorites ever because he inspired every kid to go out into the backyard and throw a football.....just like he did. I am not sure he gripped it, maybe palmed it like Joe Kapp and Billy Kilmer did. If you were a Vikings receiver when Kapp played, you had to prepare for anything and everything, including end over end's. I can remember my Dad watching Kapp and saying "look at him. It's 0 degrees, the wind is blowing 20 mph and he's throwing end over end passes.....and completing them".
We had one last year who won a few games for us. There might be some other seasoned bargain backups out there. Or we could hit on another 4th round pick.

My point is we haven’t even tried. Couldn’t care less why we haven’t. But it appears worth calling out.

And why my concern is we really have limited our success totally on Dak remaining healthy since we don’t have a defense that can carry us to a few wins either.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So acting up after being drafted makes those actions excusable? Not sure what your point is now.. I also think it's funny you're downplaying his actions by talking about, "allegedly." It was enough for him to be arrested, just like Hardy.

Because my point initially that I understand why people would hate guys like Hardy, Pac-Man because they weren't home grown. When Dez and Irvin came to the Cowboys the issues came afterwards.

You're not sure of my point but there really wasn't one. I conceded that I understand that people don't like those guys personally. IT is what it is. I can't argue against opinions. I'm confused to what your point is honestly.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What issues?

There's nothing thuggish about Dez Bryant.......i'd even say that about Irvin prior to coming to the Cowboys but if you want to say him stabbing a teammate in the neck is thug behavior then so be it.
Why do you care? You can like players for whatever reasons you want and others can do the opposite.

But I agree, nothing thug about Bryant, he had other issues and I had some inside info through my morning man that was a college roommate of an OSU coach.

I did not like his behavior but then I have no idea what it would be like to be raised by a woman that was a crackwhore and be asked by a GM if my mother was a prostitute in the team interviews. Which is like Terrell Owens going down to see the 12 year old girl that he was taking a shine to and finding out she's his sister or being the 17th child of 17.

However, that is countered by the stories of people that grow up in that type environment, and worse, and overcome that. All comes down to the moment of awareness. Once we are aware, all excuses are gone and we have decisions to make, use that as an excuse or a step stool up and away from it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What issues?

You seem to have forgot about Irvin’s hotel rape incident and coke altercations. And he had some issues at Miami. Not as bad as in Dallas but he had a reputation coming in. Back then didn’t get the coverage we do now.

And if you don’t think Dez slapping his crackhead mother around and his baggy pants and jewelry escapades at the Galleria aren’t thuggish then we have different outlooks.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You seem to have forgot about Irvin’s hotel rape incident and coke altercations. And he had some issues at Miami. Not as bad as in Dallas but he had a reputation coming in. Back then didn’t get the coverage we do now.

And if you don’t think Dez slapping his crackhead mother around and his baggy pants and jewelry escapades at the Galleria aren’t thuggish then we have different outlooks.
I know of his issues post joint the Cowboys. I don't know of any at U of M but I was barely born if if at all at around that time.

And yeah if Dez slapped a crack head around i'm sure there's two sides to that story and i'm choosing to chalk that one up as a situation I wasn't there for to understand.

I hardly doubt though that people have a issue with Dak because of his "crackhead" mother which seems extreme to even address her as.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why do you care? You can like players for whatever reasons you want and others can do the opposite.

But I agree, nothing thug about Bryant, he had other issues and I had some inside info through my morning man that was a college roommate of an OSU coach.

I did not like his behavior but then I have no idea what it would be like to be raised by a woman that was a crackwhore and be asked by a GM if my mother was a prostitute in the team interviews. Which is like Terrell Owens going down to see the 12 year old girl that he was taking a shine to and finding out she's his sister or being the 17th child of 17.

However, that is countered by the stories of people that grow up in that type environment, and worse, and overcome that. All comes down to the moment of awareness. Once we are aware, all excuses are gone and we have decisions to make, use that as an excuse or a step stool up and away from it.
Why do i care about what? I've said we can just agree to disagree on this issue. I knew that the minute where you said you had more of a issue with what Vick did than Hardy. We're just on different sides of the coin on this.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had one last year who won a few games for us. There might be some other seasoned bargain backups out there. Or we could hit on another 4th round pick.

My point is we haven’t even tried. Couldn’t care less why we haven’t. But it appears worth calling out.

And why my concern is we really have limited our success totally on Dak remaining healthy since we don’t have a defense that can carry us to a few wins either.
Gregg, when you are all in, you are all in. Booger is the eternal optimist and will not allow himself to play that "what's the worst that can happen" game that I will play. He doesn't even consider that, the best is going to happen and he believes that. It's in his DNA. He's said more than a few times, the best wells he ever had were the ones he had the greatest exposure and that's how he thinks.

I laughed when he answered the question about Romo's new contract "he's getting paid better, he will play better". He believes that, we think it's all about rewarding players for past performance and I don't think it is.

Being the eternal optimist is a nice way to go through life; it is not a great way to run a football team. They're not prepared for the worst that can happen because he won't consider that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I totally respect athletes rising above their environments utilizing their talent working hard to make something of themselves.

But I don’t like when they continue their criminal behavior using their celebrity status preventing them from prosecution.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gregg, when you are all in, you are all in. Booger is the eternal optimist and will not allow himself to play that "what's the worst that can happen" game that I will play. He doesn't even consider that, the best is going to happen and he believes that. It's in his DNA. He's said more than a few times, the best wells he ever had were the ones he had the greatest exposure and that's how he thinks.

I laughed when he answered the question about Romo's new contract "he's getting paid better, he will play better". He believes that, we think it's all about rewarding players for past performance and I don't think it is.

Being the eternal optimist is a nice way to go through life; it is not a great way to run a football team. They're not prepared for the worst that can happen because he won't consider that.
Yep..I understand but it still needs to be called out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know of his issues post joint the Cowboys. I don't know of any at U of M but I was barely born if if at all at around that time.

And yeah if Dez slapped a crack head around i'm sure there's two sides to that story and i'm choosing to chalk that one up as a situation I wasn't there for to understand.

I hardly doubt though that people have a issue with Dak because of his "crackhead" mother which seems extreme to even address her as.
While I respect them both rising above their impoverished and challenging neighborhoods and backgrounds with their enormous talents , it’s often difficult to take the mentality and behavior out.

It is what it is. I can admire their contributions to our franchise and their talents while bashing their personalities and behavior.

Motorola

Reaction score
2021 could see a battle between two NFC East stars as NFL Comeback Player of the Year - Prescott and Giants RB Saquon Barkley.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
While I respect them both rising above their impoverished and challenging neighborhoods and backgrounds with their enormous talents , it’s often difficult to take the mentality and behavior out.

It is what it is. I can admire their contributions to our franchise and their talents while bashing their personalities and behavior.
Yeah......Mike battled his demons and overcame them for the most part. I commend him for it. I just disagree that Dez was a "thug". Richie Incognito is a thug. Not Dez. He had some immaturity issues maybe.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Because my point initially that I understand why people would hate guys like Hardy, Pac-Man because they weren't home grown. When Dez and Irvin came to the Cowboys the issues came afterwards.

You're not sure of my point but there really wasn't one. I conceded that I understand that people don't like those guys personally. IT is what it is. I can't argue against opinions. I'm confused to what your point is honestly.

I jumped in when you said something to the effect of how someone couldn't like Irvin so I gave a few reasons.

Haimerej

Reaction score
You brought up issues post-Super Bowl. So yeah I don't see it but I chalked it up as its not for me to see.

Being post-Super Bowl doesn't necessarily change things, imo. It takes a certain personality to escalate and stab someone over a haircut.

But as far as, "pre-Super Bowl," I think Greg and CC have summed up why old schoolers wouldn't like Irvin. I can be sympathetic to that opinion. Irvin was a precursor to today's guys who celebrate themselves after something as mundane as getting a 1st down. It's not for everyone and I'm of the mindset of Barry Sanders- act like you've been there before. But to each their own.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Except for Rentzel, I think they all had reasons for what they did. At least reasons that made sense to them at the time.

And it was much easier in the 60s and 70s to like players. They were playing for the love of the game and not the 4 or 5 lifetimes of money players want today for one season. They were loyal to their team, teammates, and fans, unlike these spoiled, entitled, poor examples of sportsmanship we see today.

It has to be much harder to coach today than back when. What was once a friendly sporting competition has become little more than entertainment while pushing your wares to make even more money off a product or endorsement.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except for Rentzel, I think they all had reasons for what they did. At least reasons that made sense to them at the time.

And it was much easier in the 60s and 70s to like players. They were playing for the love of the game and not the 4 or 5 lifetimes of money players want today for one season. They were loyal to their team, teammates, and fans, unlike these spoiled, entitled, poor examples of sportsmanship we see today.

It has to be much harder to coach today than back when. What was once a friendly sporting competition has become little more than entertainment while pushing your wares to make even more money off a product or endorsement.
Septien too. Rentzel exposed himself to an 11 year old girl, Septien went further than that with a child and they kept it quiet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I disagree! The Rams, 49rs, Seahawks, Saints are all a level above the Cowboys.
In second post I ranked Seattle and LA ahead of us.

And SF and NO with best of the rest. And that’s without knowing what their QB situation will be. Certainly can’t expect Saints to be same level without Brees.

Last edited: