Super Bowl contender and no backup

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In fairness, while they weren't high quality starters, Trubisky (Buffalo) and Gabbert (TB) have been NFL starters, and Trubisky has a career winning record. And McCoy (AZ) has proven to be a solid backup that can give a team a chance to win at least. We don't have any of that going with our backups. Of course, of few of the others on your list don't either.
Yep

Jameis is looking pretty good in New Orleans. There were some guys out there but we didn’t appear to even try to sign anyone.

It’s doesn’t have to be Dak or bust. Having a backup who can come in and win a few games is crucial Especially with a QB overcoming such a serious injury.

mooseq

Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt I’d rather have a great draft pick instead of a fighting chance getting in the playoffs and losing and having late teens pick.

many teams don’t have good starts needless to say back up. If the back up is so good he would start.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt I’d rather have a great draft pick instead of a fighting chance getting in the playoffs and losing and having late teens pick.

many teams don’t have good starts needless to say back up. If the back up is so good he would start.
Having a backup isn’t just about taking over rest of season for Dak. It’s about winning a few games in his absence so we still have a season when Dak returns.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How is it that we are finally a contender this year and we do not have a reliable backup QB?

Foles
Newton
Flacco (doubt eagles would have traded)

im sure I’m missing others as well.
well, of the 5 NFC top teams sitting with one loss, none of them have a good Back up QB situation...its bad and worse.

Perhaps AZ with McCoy are slightly better than the rest, but he is on his 3rd or 4th team and hasn't done anything. his biggest fame is beating dallas on thanksgiving in Dallas.
GB has Love, who has zero regular season snaps
Tampa has Gabbard....'nuff said...
Rams have Wolford I believe....

so none of these teams including us is in a good situation with Back up QB.....if any of these starting QBs are injured and not available for playoffs....that team is done..

of all of the names you put, Foles would be the best candidate, but is chicago willing to let him go...maybe for a 7th, as I wouldn't want to pay anything more than that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think you're missing the point. Your comment is based on Dak getting hurt for the season, but what if Dak were to only miss 4-5 games? If that's the case you need a backup good enough to help us win at least a few of those games to keep our playoff chances alive, and a chance at a decent playoff slot, then when Dak recovered the team could move ahead with him at the helm. You don't want to give up the season for a temporary setback.

That said, I'm not saying it's a certainty our backups can't do that, but we can say we don't have anything to go by to think they can.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Im still a bit surprised they chose Rush over Gilbert.

Did you see how bad Gilbert looked when he was playing with the 1s in preseason? He was hot garbage. I think we scored a total of 3 points in all the drives he was at the helm or something like that. They handed him the QB2 job and he responded by playing like crap. It was a competition and Rush clearly outplayed him.. If they had stuck with Gilbert despite that fact it would have hurt their credibility in the locker room. Rush may not be Dak but I think Big Mac and Moore can devise a game plan to let him bus drive us to at least a chance at victory. With a backup that's really all you can ask for.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
well, of the 5 NFC top teams sitting with one loss, none of them have a good Back up QB situation...its bad and worse.

Perhaps AZ with McCoy are slightly better than the rest, but he is on his 3rd or 4th team and hasn't done anything. his biggest fame is beating dallas on thanksgiving in Dallas.
GB has Love, who has zero regular season snaps
Tampa has Gabbard....'nuff said...
Rams have Wolford I believe....

so none of these teams including us is in a good situation with Back up QB.....if any of these starting QBs are injured and not available for playoffs....that team is done..

of all of the names you put, Foles would be the best candidate, but is chicago willing to let him go...maybe for a 7th, as I wouldn't want to pay anything more than that.

I don't think that game was on Thanksgiving.. I think it was a Monday night game.. if you're referring to the game McCoy won against us the night Romo got hurt going into OT.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Did you see how bad Gilbert looked when he was playing with the 1s in preseason? He was hot garbage. I think we scored a total of 3 points in all the drives he was at the helm or something like that. They handed him the QB2 job and he responded by playing like crap. It was a competition and Rush clearly outplayed him.. If they had stuck with Gilbert despite that fact it would have hurt their credibility in the locker room. Rush may not be Dak but I think Big Mac and Moore can devise a game plan to let him bus drive us to at least a chance at victory. With a backup that's really all you can ask for.

Yeah but preseason and regular season can be a lot different.

I’ll trust the coaches though like another poster said. Everything the Cowboys do right now turns to gold so it wouldn’t surprise me if Cooper Rush looks like Joe Burrow.

Aven8

Reaction score
Im still a bit surprised they chose Rush over Gilbert.

He played well against Pitts last year but was awful this PS. He wouldn’t let the ball go and that got him cut. It was night and day when Rush came in

Reid1boys

Reaction score
How is it that we are finally a contender this year and we do not have a reliable backup QB?

Foles
Newton

Packers SB contender,... who is their Backup?
Cards SB contender... who is their back up?
Rams... backup?
Chargers?????
Ravens??????
Bengals?????

any of these contenders lose their QB and they are done.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is tired.

Without looking it up, name me the backup QB for the following teams:

• TB Buccaneers
  • LA Rams
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Cincinnatti Bengals
  • Baltimore Ravens

Then tell me with a straight face why all of these teams would expect to win MULTIPLE games with that backup.
thank you... I just repeated this before I saw yours. People are oblivious to the rest of the league.
The Cowboys are not unique.

rambo2

Reaction score

Foles
Newton

How do you know that they don't have a reliable backup? Shouldn't you wait for the backup to play? They sure have an outstanding team for a backup to play on.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is tired.

Without looking it up, name me the backup QB for the following teams:

• TB Buccaneers
  • LA Rams
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Cincinnatti Bengals
  • Baltimore Ravens

Then tell me with a straight face why all of these teams would expect to win MULTIPLE games with that backup.
Can somebody name them? I would like to know who these teams have.

coult44

Reaction score

Foles
Newton

Here is the list of backups for all the current contenders:
Tyler Huntley, Mitch Trubisky, Brandon Allen, Logan Woodside, Blaine Gabbart, Chase Daniel, Marcus Mariota, Colt McCoy, John Wolford.

EVERY team in the NFL is in the exact same position we are. If you lose your starter your out!!!