Super Bowl contender and no backup

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
Packers SB contender,... who is their Backup?
Cards SB contender... who is their back up?
Rams... backup?
Chargers?????
Ravens??????
Bengals?????

any of these contenders lose their QB and they are done.

packers- Jordan love a first round pick

Colt McCoy- serviceable backup who has plenty of starts in career

rams- wolford can’t say much on that one

chargers- chase daniel (eh but still take over rush)

ravens- Huntley not much to comment either

bengals- Brandon Allen cooper rush like

The cowboys always do this except when we had orton and dalton. And more than ever we did it this year with a QB coming off a devastating injury

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
In fairness, while they weren't high quality starters, Trubisky (Buffalo) and Gabbert (TB) have been NFL starters, and Trubisky has a career winning record. And McCoy (AZ) has proven to be a solid backup that can give a team a chance to win at least. We don't have any of that going with our backups. Of course, of few of the others on your list don't either.

Trubisky is probably well suited for the Buffalo offense for a couple games.

I don't think Gabbert can run the TB offense any where as well as Brady can, and it isn't like they have a great running game to go through.

ANd McCoy, sure, can give a chance, but that offense runs through Murray as well.

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
packers- Jordan love a first round pick

Colt McCoy- serviceable backup who has plenty of starts in career

rams- wolford can’t say much on that one

chargers- chase daniel (eh but still take over rush)

ravens- Huntley not much to comment either

bengals- Brandon Allen cooper rush like

The cowboys always do this except when we had orton and dalton. And more than ever we did it this year with a QB coming off a devastating injury

blueblood70

Reaction score
What you are missing is that Cooper Rush is a better QB than you are giving him credit for. ;)
well sarcasm aside he or grier might be as good as the available list options ,

we dotn know how much they've grown like players in Steele, kearse, gholston, Osa, etc that have faired a lot better then fans thought they would have..

If one of our backups can simply keep the bus straight, dink and dunk, the occasional PA longer pass but hand it off until their arm falls off to zeke and pollard , i believe with this OL and run game we can still win games..

we may not win them BIG and dominant as with Dak but this is TEAM this year this not isnt Dak or bust..

Yes Dak is playing great, arguable his best season to date SO FAR and will help us win games big and explosives' exciting stuff but we have already seen 3 of 5 wins dak was not being leaned on with our 2 headed run game..he made plays but if our run game was that dominate with that OL, we can get by with some ugly , close wins IMO..maybe not a sb who knows but if its not season ending a few games etc

we most likely dont see what MM and KM see in rush and or grier that they dont think anyone actually available can do much better..

can rush even be much worse then some of bottom 10-14 starters right now like we have seen fields and lance , Wilson, and even players like Darnold etc have you witnessed those "starters" play of late..aint so pretty..some has been ugly..

so give a backup our run game, ol, play caller and playing better defense and who knows, the bus's wheel can go round and round , just stay on course..:laugh::rolleyes:o_O
:popcorn:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah but preseason and regular season can be a lot different.

I’ll trust the coaches though like another poster said. Everything the Cowboys do right now turns to gold so it wouldn’t surprise me if Cooper Rush looks like Joe Burrow.

Let's not get carried away here.. But I do know that McCarthy has won games with unknown backups more than a few times in his head coaching career. Who here can forget that day Matt Flynn hung like 38 points and 400 yards on the Cowboys? A show of hands of all the people who knew who the hell Matt Flynn was before that day?

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt I’d rather have a great draft pick instead of a fighting chance getting in the playoffs and losing and having late teens pick.

many teams don’t have good starts needless to say back up. If the back up is so good he would start.
its not an auto tank job without Dak

3 of these 5 wins were run heavy and with our OL, run game, defense and much better coaching this wont be 2020 thats for sure..our division and with already 5 wins say we are still going to the payoffs. Thinking somehow dak goes down our seasons over is loser talk.

wins wont be as big of margin or pretty and harder fought close games but its not over if dak has a season ending injury at this point..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
How is it that we are finally a contender this year and we do not have a reliable backup QB?

Foles
Newton
Flacco (doubt eagles would have traded)

No one has signed Newton, which is telling. Flacco has looked like garbage since he left Baltimore, as has Foles before and after Philadelphia.

Who is Brady's backup? How about Stafford's?

"Reliable" backups usually get jobs as starters elsewhere. Some teams don't even have "reliable" starters.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
As others have stated in this thread, it's not like Dallas is the outlier here. Pretty much no NFL team has a great backup that is going to come in and keep their team afloat. Just the nature of the NFL beast.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
How is it that we are finally a contender this year and we do not have a reliable backup QB?

Foles
Newton

im sure I’m missing others as well.

Can Foles hit fools gold twice? I doubt it.
Cam is cancer in the locker-room. Pass
Flacco is old and outdated. Pass

You only listed 3? How come?? Not very many decent backup QBs to choose from, huh. Not very many teams would win it all with their backup QB. There's a reason why they are backups.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Foles
Newton

im sure I’m missing others as well.

And this was the big short coming that many complained about. Jerry really seems to have a dead spot in his brain for backup QB's.

cowboyec

Reaction score
And so you agree that he’s enough ?
we'll find out if he gets the call.
from what i saw in the pre-season...and how long he's been in this system...plus the talent around him...yes.
i think he is capable of navigating us thru the muck til Dak returns...IF that were to happen.
hopefully,#4 starts sun night.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Still can't believe they went with Cooper Rush when they knew he sucked. They didn't even expect him to beat out Gilbert until after that third preseason game, and they knew Gilbert wasn't any good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Still can't believe they went with Cooper Rush when they knew he sucked. They didn't even expect him to beat out Gilbert until after that third preseason game, and they knew Gilbert wasn't any good.
The fact they scrambled to sign Will Grier tells us all we need to know about their confidence in Cooper.